The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
turbostar

EFI fuel tanks

Hi friends,new guy here.Getting ready to start a project with my 65 SWB that has been in the family since new. I just picked up a 95 Roadmaster that will be the donor for the drivetrain. These have the same drivetrain as the Impalla SS. A 260 hp LT1 with a 4l60e tranny. I will use the Roadmaster drivetrain with the EFI and factory computer and sensors. Where I could use some help is with the fuel tank. Does anyone know of a factory tank with the EFI in-tank pump that will fit under the rear of the bed where the spare goes? It could be for a TBI or multi-port as I could change the pump if it were TBI. This may have been asked many times but I know finding a fuel tank to fit there would eliminate one problem for all doing an EFI swap.
turbostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:13 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: EFI fuel tanks

Welcome to the forum

My first thought is a '88-'91 K5 Blazer tank. However it may hang down a bit low, and I'm not sure if the length would be workable within a SWB frame. You might check the 'LSx Swap' subforum in the 'Engine and Drivetrain' section. Someone there may have found a tank that works.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
turbostar

Thanks for the tip Captain.I went where you suggested and found the tip to use an 87-91 Blazer/Sub tank. I have asked there if anyone has dimensions for these tanks. This site is amazing,there is sooo much information available-will take a while to visit all the different areas.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:12 AM   #4
apachedaddy

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=362307

I know this one is for the 67-72 but he also has and EFI set up for the 4-5-6.
Very nice tanks, had a little problem with the tank size at first due to the fwd cross mount not being even on both sides. But that has all been worked out. Not sure what your budget is but his EFI tank for your truck comes with a pump and sending unit. Hope this helps out, have a great day...
Old 08-15-2010, 02:25 AM   #5
tapeworm
fan of "Butters" Stotch

Check out the Spectra site. Sorry, don't have a link off hand, but they have all of the dimensions listed if I remember correctly.

FYI I picked up a 94ish S10 Blazer tank at a swap meet, thinking it may work. It ended up being too wide at one spot
Old 08-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
nomrlz

i picked up a 99 Z28 tank. there have been a few here that have used them with good results. and those motors are decent performers. my 95 roadmaster wagon runs 14.05 with just bolt-ons and 12.64 on a 150 shot
nomrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

http://ecat.spectrapremium.com/apps/...roduct_catalog

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:52 AM   #8
GSTruck

I am doing the same swap from a 94 RM to my 63 SWB. I have pulled the RM plastic tank and just held it in place behind the rear end and believe it will work. Clearance for the exhaust pipe over the rear end is reduced but I think it will still work. Also may have to relocate one brace. I am also using the rear end which is about 2" wider. Also hope to use the front spindle assembly which will let me use the ABS. Will need to find a tie rod flip kit for this. I hope to start a thread on my conversion.

Last edited by GSTruck; 08-16-2010 at 03:54 AM.
GSTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:22 AM   #9
nomrlz

i think if you find an impala or 9C1 (cop car) rear. they may be an inch or so narrower and have disc brakes.
nomrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:56 PM   #10
turbostar

GSTruck, I really like the roadmaster poly tank but it is far too wide to fit between the frame rails of my 65,so I assume you are going to mount it below the frame rails. Is that right,and if so does it not stick way too low beneath the body?
Old 08-17-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
turbostar

nomrlz,impressive times from a 4200 lb car,just one reason I want the Roadmaster drivetrain in my 65. BTW I also have a 95 Roadmaster as a driver. Is it possible for you to provide dimensions on that Z28 tank?
Old 08-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #12
Sixxer

Just gonna throw my two cents into the pot Unless one of the main reasons you want to swap it to get the tank outta the cab (I don't blame you, mine is actually mounted in my bed up against the back wall) you can run a late model Corvette fuel pressure regulator. A lot of LS swapped vehicles and my current project LS based Buick has one, they incorporate a filter and regulator into one. And you only have to run one line front to back! I was able to use my original tank on my Buick. One line in and one line out, plus a return side in.

Here's a link with some pics, they are for 99 and up corvettes

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...regulator.html
Sixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:33 AM   #13
turbostar

Sixxer,one of my objectives is to have a quiet fuel pump. On a previous swap I mounted an external efi pump low on the frame rail and drew from the stock tank. The noise was terrible,so I would like an efi tank with in tank pump for noise and I really would like to get the tank out of the cab also.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:46 PM   #14
GSTruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbostar View Post
GSTruck, I really like the roadmaster poly tank but it is far too wide to fit between the frame rails of my 65,so I assume you are going to mount it below the frame rails. Is that right,and if so does it not stick way too low beneath the body?
It does hang down some but not that bad. Not any more than the units that some of the suppliers sell. Filler will be in the left rear corner of the bed but could be routed to the outside of the bed if desired. Just trying to use all I can from the donor car. I would post a pic if I could.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #15
turbostar

As I strip parts from my donor Roadmaster,I will surely remove the fuel tank also. It's a nice tank and worth a try to see how I like the looks.