The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

Why do I put up with old trucks..

Truck is really getting old. I have hardly driven it since may. I will be 18 this thursday. Its my DD Im a senior in Hs. Its always something!! Between the fact its old and I always wanna tinker and try to improve it, its quite un reliable (me tinkering doenst help)

Sorry for beeching at everyone but im in the process of a motor swap right, well everytime I go to do something either i cant get myself motivated, or we do start it ON BREAK IN and its leaking gas from the fuel line going to carb. (compression fitting, dad says there only good for so many off ons) or its an exhaust leak..and now the bendix on the starter hangs just making me mad I wannaput it together and roll it to the side of the road and sell it to a mexican or something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Between the fact that I dont really know what im doing and most around here dont know much more than I do..doesnt help either thank you for helping though

Im not trying to make a racist comment but they usually buy all the old trucks for work/nursery trucks..

Its just making me mad I just wish I never found this website, it made me wanna fix this truck up....heres my backround pic, im trying to get motivated, this is right before the motor swap after a bath
Attached Images

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

Last edited by oldblue1968chevy; 08-16-2010 at 08:31 PM.
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
Shane
Account Suspended

Re: Why do I put up with old trucks..

sell it or make up your mind and work on it. nobody can decide for you. life's choices are tough.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #3
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Hang in there, it can be a long road.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
Notrodder

It could be worse. Late model vehicles are much more complicated and you might have to pay a mechanic to fix it (not cheap).

Consider this a learning experience. You will become more knowledgable about your equipment and less reliant on a tow truck to come save you (also not cheap). Patience will come with the skill acquired.

And sheesh, when I was in high school, my only vehicle was a bicycle. Try taking a date out on the handlebars of a Schwinn, then see if you can appreciate an old truck.
Notrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
mooseknuckles

I'd gladly take it off your hands.
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
bubba35741

I see you are from Tennessee....every country boy needs an old chevy truck! I still have my truck from high school...21 years ago. The things you listed are not that big of a deal. The truck looks super nice....and will when done. You could be out getting in trouble and such...but if you are working on an old truck you will have something to show for your time and money spent. I would jump on it hot and heavy...get it running and enjoy it for a while before doing anything else. Or..... sell it, buy a new one....after the payments start rolling in you will wish you had the old one back....... good luck! Bubba
bubba35741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
Davetopay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notrodder View Post
It could be worse. Late model vehicles are much more complicated and you might have to pay a mechanic to fix it (not cheap).

Consider this a learning experience. You will become more knowledgable about your equipment and less reliant on a tow truck to come save you (also not cheap). Patience will come with the skill acquired.

And sheesh, when I was in high school, my only vehicle was a bicycle. Try taking a date out on the handlebars of a Schwinn, then see if you can appreciate an old truck.
This guy knows.

I'll be the first to tell you that my truck has left me needing repairs at least 5 times in the last 2 years. But there was nothing I couldn't fix with a socket set and a little will power.

Also consider that I have NO car payment, my insurance is under $55/month, and I don't have to worry about passing emissions. Besides a truck can pay for it self.....junk hauling, collecting scrap metal, etc.
Davetopay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
chisler

Thought about this a lot, with my old Chev had it for 25 years, somedays I thought about getting rid of it...I still have it
I work on it somedays, somedays not. But as soon as hunting season comes, I can hardly wait to get out in it, or drive out to the river and do some fishing or 4-wheeling. Am I sorry I bought it? Not a chance. This truck has out lived all my other vehicles...is it a show truck? Not really. Bit of an antique? Perhaps. But you'll never find an easier vehicle to work on compared to the new iron that is out there. Just my view, you got a nice truck there, and looks like you live in a beautiful country too!! Keep the truck! Maybe walk away from it for a while, but in the end you'll be glad you kept it.
chisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

Yeah....It just gets annoying, I give it a break for a few days/weeks get back to it and its just always something....Imma have dad pick up the hard line gas line after school hopefully that fixes that...idk...I love it but its just wooping me.

hey chisler, i may need your help in the future, my english teacher LOVES British/English anything! I may ask you about words etc etc sometime lol. Thanks in advance

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #10
Frijolito1988

I learned this lesson when I was your age, but it might not be for everybody.

When I was in high school all i wanted was muscle cars , camaros blah blah blah, well as you know most cars we can afford are POS that need ALOT of work, and money and time. With that being said, i HIGHLY do not recomend having a project or a " work in progress " as a daily driver. I kicked my self for just not buying a somewhat new model car with cold AC and comfortable and THEN work on the project during the weekends . Lesson learned I will never have a project car or fixer upper as a daily driver, my opinion, either get the truck running and save up for a good running car to get you around comfortably or sell the truck .
Frijolito1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #11
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
sell it or make up your mind and work on it. nobody can decide for you. life's choices are tough.
Oooooh.Tough Love!
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #12
Dads69C10

Just keep truckin. Youll get to a point where it all comes together.

** Easy with the Mexican Stuff** IMHO
Old 08-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #13
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

If you think that's bad just get a new one,atleast the old ones are cheap to fix, you can do most of it yourself, and they are attention grabbing even bone stock or in pieces. I buy a new diesel every two years for work and that's not because I want to, they are junk! I can't afford to run past my warranty as they are too expensive when they break down, and they seem to do that more often than not. I even bought a F@!D this time because their service dept is open 7 days a week, atleast if this one breaks down as much as my 07 Chevy did there will be a place to fix it under warranty. You will regret selling it, I regret all my sales, maybe not at first, but eventually you will say"whay in the F!@% didn't I just keep it".
77 2wd short fleet beater
52 short project
tantrumpipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #14
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
Hang in there, it can be a long road.
WE all have are breaking points.
I've been on this Forum for almost 6 years and on my 2nd 67-72 Truck! The most recent, I've had 1 1/2 years, and I'm pissed because it's not done yet.
I've been on Dissability for 4 years and the money doesnt come as fast as it used to.
My Wife sat me down and pointed out, just exactly what I've done with this Truck since I got it in April 09.
LIVE IN THE PRESENT MOMENT.
Savor your accomplishments.
Getting there is 1/2 the fun.
Heres some pictures the day I brought my 72 GMC Short/Fleet home.
Mind you..I was BEAMING with pride that day!

NOTICE ALL THE CUSTOM OPTIONS IT CAME WITH
Attached Images

back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:55 PM   #15
vectorit
What?

Having a classic as a DD at your age is tough, what with the learning curve and a really tight budget.

I remember having this moment of frustration at your age quite well, sitting under the hood yanking off the intake manifold to fix a nasty oil leak before the early morning commute to work. My Dad came out to see what I was doing, and told me I should just get myself a more reliable DD such as a Toyota 4x4. I scoffed at his recommendation, but later it just made sense.

I did end up getting a slick well taken care of used Toyota 4x4 which treated me well, and heck I still run around in Toyota 4x4 to get parts and such. It's got AC, easy on the fuel bill, and I don't have to wrench on it other than general maintenance.

It will keep your life pressures in check, since you won't have to depend so much on the old truck that needs a lot of TLC. Being more relaxed, you will have more motivation to work on the old girl at the same time enjoying what you are doing.

JMTC
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:17 PM   #16
crushermechanic

hey man just keep your chin up and you will get it done. i have been working on mine 2 years. the stuff you have left is minor in the big picture. if you have any problems i am not that far away and can help you out or pm me and i wil give you my #. keep truckin chris
crushermechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:31 PM   #17
Hubscrub
Cruzin

well i have been there i have though about selling off mine before because i got ill at them but i only tried twice, i put my first car up for sale for 2 days when i was 16 or 17? still got it and my 85 4x4 i tried to sell for about a month even ran it through an auto auction i was one of the last ones so no deal. But i am soooo glad that they didn't sell i got so tired of fixing things but in the end if you do it right you will have a good truck and you will KNOW WHAT YOU GOT instead of buying somebody else's headache. i used to get all tore up when my stuff tore up but now i just say well i got to fix it and let it be i've matured in my 28 years but seriously i do find it easier to have something else to drive while fixing the others but i have never whent and got a new one the newest i have is a 97 and i have had to fix it too ha but don't give up i want to see that thing finished and i will hopefully see it in person someday good luck sorry long post

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14

Last edited by Hubscrub; 08-16-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:45 PM   #18
'72customdeluxe

Our two '08 nissans (pricy fixes out of warranty) and for damn sure the '00 formula are way less reliable than mine with all my new parts. Learn to enjoy working on it. I get frustrated too, but catch myself with a **** eating grin a couple miles down the road after fixing it
Old 08-16-2010, 10:54 PM   #19
capev86

i feel your pain.

i have been dealing with fixing my own cars for years now. usually it saves me money and gives me pride in the long run, but i do wish that i had more money to pay someone else to do the major stuff. i ended up spending 900 bucks to get the rear gear swap (4.57 to 4.10) done and intake/carb swap (2bbl-qjet) tuned properly just in time to make it up state for a couple car shows. cost a lot of money that really wasn't in the budget to make sure i didn't miss the vintage truck meet (at owls head transportation museum) 2 years in a row.

i think i have a dying center bearing on my hands now. want to save up and buy a nice HD poly unit from lmc or ccp and there are a ton of other things not finished on my truck that are awaiting the time and the money (minor bodywork touch up, etc). on the flip side my 72 burb c20 is super cheap to register and insure and in the long run it will a great investment if for nothing more than the enjoyment i get from owning it. modern vehicles are quiet and convenient, but i do love the looks i get from driving my old rig. most people are very positive about it!
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:18 PM   #20
leddzepp

Here are my answers: Car payments suck. Insurance is dirt cheap on an old vehicle. It won't depreciate in value any more as compared to buying a new vehicle which depreciates every time you blink.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:51 PM   #21
crazy-101

I feel your pain i just graduated high school last spring and i was having nothing but problems with my '68, first it started with a fuel leak, then i blew an oil filter seal on the side of the highway, and after everything gets fixed i lost all my lights a half hour from home and midnight. Then after getting my '95 for a work truck i had it a week and the tranny went out, the problems suck but in the end having a truck is much better than anything else, and having a classic truck well the rewards and pride are way worth the pain of break downs and long days on the side of a road waiting for a truck and trailer.

So just hang in there, the more you work on it and want the rewards the motivation will come just gotta wait for it.
crazy-101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:40 AM   #22
ERASER5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
we do start it ON BREAK IN and its leaking gas from the fuel line going to carb. (compression fitting, dad says there only good for so many off ons)
What compression fitting? All the fuel fittings I have used are flare or banjo type. Flare fitting have no true limit the off-on cycles, all though over tightening will destroy them and forcing them on at an angle can bend or crack the bell. Banjo fitting need the sealing ring replaced sometimes.

Other wise, did you get the engine started or not? I've been following the engine thread with the vortec stuff in it.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:52 AM   #23
sleepertruck72

Not trying to stir up anything here, but if you still need a mexican to buy your truck let me know. I know some people (Mexicans) in Tennessee that would put that truck to work

In my opinion, the best thing you can do to ease your frustration ( besides be patient) is go to your local College or Vocational School and take some automotive classes so you can learn to maintain your truck or vehicles in good running condition. Not saying you don't know anything about working on cars/trucks, merely a suggestion. Just like everyone has mentioned, new cars are not that great. They are nice until the electronics start to malfunction, or the warranty expires, or the timing belts explode on the way to pick up your girlfriend blah blah blah.... Don't give up on it and learn from each experience..
Old 08-17-2010, 01:26 AM   #24
laid_out_70

ohh man. i was felling exactly the same today. i didnt know the LCA U bolts are coarse threads and the UCA rod bolts are fine treaded (took it apart awhile ago). ended up screwing up almost all the threads. then i went to put the rest of the new to me front end on and the threads on the lower ball joint are shot. at that point i was ready to hurt something. got the wheel on and then found out the new lug studs are larger. it feels like it never ends. after i calmed down tho im better and i cant just give up, you shouldn't either. this is my first project that isnt me DD since i dont have my license for the time being. a project DD is a bi#$h and dont plan on it again. just hang in there and find a $200 geo
laid_out_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:48 AM   #25
RIDDLA

Sell it to this Mexican
72 Chevy Suburban Blurban
74 Vw Bug
78 Chevy k10 lwb
78 Chevy k10 swb
03 Cadillac Escalade-Duecesix
84 Cadillac Coupe Deville DeElegance

B.O. A Lifestyle Money Cant Buy!