The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
trz1000

transaction ethics question.....

Back in March I sold a set of seats from my Jimmy to a member who lives out of state. I was paid in full in April at which time he said that he'd be my way at the end of June.

When I sold the seats I told him that I don't have a problem sitting on them for a while, heck I'd wait a year as they're not eating any grass but here's the issue. Mid June we chatted a bit and he said it would be second week in July. Cool no problem. July comes and goes with no further contact. I finally sent a message on 8-11 asking when he thought he'd be this way. Still no response. Last note I got from him was on 6-24.

I'm pretty easy to work with, when told him that I don't have an issue holding on to them for a while as it's a pretty good drive to come get them, I absolutely meant it. So it's not about the time I just don't like no communication. I have no idea if he's no longer interested, had to run to Mexico, became a monk, or ??.

Seems like a real cool guy. Unfortunately I don't have an address, phone number, or even an email address. All communications have been via PM, except of course for payment. I wasn't fore-thinking enough to save the envelope for a return address.

If he sent me a note tomorrow and said he couldn't pick them up until March I wouldn't have a problem sitting on them until that time. But how long should I have to wait with no communication? I guess that's the million dollar question.

So it's summer and people are on vacation and such so I figure I give it another week, send another message, wait till the end of September and if I still haven't heard anything, re-list the seats. What do you guys think, cool, uncool? Suggestions?
trz1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
AJs72K5

Re: transaction ethics question.....

Sounds to me like you've been very patient. Usually the complaint is on the buyer side .... "I paid him but haven't heard anything..."

The last response you received was on 6/24. But, have you checked his profile to see when the last login or activity was?

Gray Matter Build - 1972 K5 with some stuff
AJs72K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

I personally would send one more message with a 30 day notice seeing as how you've specified time wasn't an issue and repost em in 30 days. Now on the other hand if this was a pressing issue and they had to be gone I would've already posted em.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:26 PM   #4
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

another question is, has the member been on the site since the last communication.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
trz1000

I just checked the statistics tab on the profile, last activity was 6-28. I don't do a lot of PM's on this site but if I remember right, I get an email notification when one hits the inbox.

I think I'll shoot him another message by the end of the week and if I still don't get a response, contact the mods and see if they can send him an email letting him know someone's looking to chat. Don't know if they can or will do that but I just can't pull the ripcord without exhausting all reasonable options.

Thanks to all for the input.
trz1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
Cap'n Hook
Workin to live...

I guess I'm not understanding the situation. You were paid in full for something and you are still in possession of said item, just waiting for the buyer to come pick it up? I wouldn't really worry about it, if storage isn't a problem. And you can't really resale something that isn't yours, so I'd probably just put them out of sight (out of mind) until he is able to pick them up!

Now, if it's coming up because you don't really want them stored any more, I'd check out were the payment came from and go from there.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
71jimmy

agree with everyone so far, tough spot to be in, I guess. If you do sell them you might want to keep some cash around for when he does call back. He could have a really good excuse and really need money or seats.

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
71jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #8
turp mcspray

Smile Re: transaction ethics question.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71jimmy View Post
agree with everyone so far, tough spot to be in, i guess. If you do sell them you might want to keep some cash around for when he does call back. He could have a really good excuse and really need money or seats.
x2
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:11 PM   #9
packers05

I sold a tractor on ebay to an out of stater only 300bucks but he never showed to pick it up after several times of not getting here when he said 6month later he called and said relist it and keep the money he had sent ,so I sold it again on ebay for 295 this time and the new guy drove 10hrs next day to get it go figure . Patience paid me 595 for a 300 dollar tractor!!!
packers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:17 AM   #10
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

If it were me...its paid for...and I'll store it till I can't anymore. Sometimes things just happen...and people drop off for a while. Could be family, personal, whatever...but they could be gone for months.

I'd wait for at least 90 days past the last planned/updated p/u date...maybe more.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote