The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
chevymadness

found a 1972 short block 383 race new???

ok guys i really need some help here i have a 1982 chevy silverado and i hate the 305 v8 thats in it i want more hp torque etc.So my buddy has this new 72 short block 383 race new never used it comes with a w/7 quart oil pan.Thats the reason why you see the back of the inside engine smooth is because it will let the oil sink to the oil pan quicker makin it cooler.It has a oil stump he told me all this heres some picks he wants 1,300i like this cause its bigger then a 350 wich is what i wanted but this is bigger and same price as i would pay i want something around a 350 to 400 range but idk i believe is this a good deal please let me know guys ! thanks

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/x...ebomb4/073.jpg
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/x...ebomb4/071.jpg
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/x...ebomb4/068.jpg
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/x...ebomb4/067.jpg
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/x...ebomb4/066.jpg
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/x...ebomb4/063.jpg
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/x...ebomb4/062.jpg
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/x...ebomb4/061.jpg

he said he will throw in a free 10k RPM tach w/rev light for free and he spent 5k on this engine

Last edited by chevymadness; 08-17-2010 at 09:01 PM.
chevymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:42 PM   #2
nbpro
Account Suspended

Re: found a 1972 short block 383 race new???

tell him you will give him $900 and see what he says.
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
chevymadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbpro View Post
tell him you will give him $900 and see what he says.
lol naw man he said he put about 5,000 into this engine thats hight way robbery but what do you think is this a good engine to put in my 82 any ideas
Old 08-17-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
mooseknuckles

buy it...before I do
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
BigBlocksRule

$5K in it? He's been screwed - those are hypereutectic pistons. You'll need big chambers to run pump gas, they'll be over 11:1 with typical 64cc heads and that'll put you in race gas territory. Without heads, it's probably worth about what he's asking for it. You'll need to find some 76cc chamber heads - that'll rule out Vortecs and many others. Ask him why he only polished part of the lifter valley - you'll have oil running out of all the drainback holes, not just the rear.
Pass. That's an average price and not a good deal. If it had dish or reverse dome pistons, it would be worth grabbing.

Last edited by BigBlocksRule; 08-17-2010 at 09:24 PM.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #6
chevymadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule View Post
$5K in it? He's been screwed - those are hypereutectic pistons. You'll need big chambers to run pump gas, they'll be over 11:1 with typical 64cc heads and that'll put you in race gas territory. Without heads, it's probably worth about what he's asking for it. You'll need to find some 76cc chamber heads - that'll rule out Vortecs and many others. Ask him why he only polished part of the lifter valley - you'll have oil running out of all the drainback holes, not just the rear.
Pass. That's an average price and not a good deal. If it had dish or reverse dome pistons, it would be worth grabbing.
ok that was helpful so what so what do you suggest will this baby make some good hp etc. Im secnodn guessing this motor i think i should walk away and just get a new engine somewhere else like maybe a 400 crate one thats suggested i dont know much about engnes to tell you the truth. Im new to this i just want a strong engine and good mpg i got about 1700 to spend and the things you say about this engine dont sound to good i knew this price was about right for this and it was worth this price. so what do you say i do. can i make this engine better is it worth it or what.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Don't be in a hurry. I found my ZZ4 on Craigslist $2,000. Paid less than that when I offered cash!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:56 PM   #8
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

I would probably pass at 1300. 800 is more like it. 5k builds a stompin small block with some nice bits and pieces. Find out more info about the internals what kind of crank, and which rods. For him to have spent 5k they should be good quality after market. It just seems hanky. Jay
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:31 PM   #9
chevymadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchemist View Post
Don't be in a hurry. I found my ZZ4 on Craigslist $2,000. Paid less than that when I offered cash!
yea im just going to go ahead and get a overhall wich i have to and then 305 tpi the **** and mod it the hell out 305s are more full effeciant anyway and i have to choose this week what to do i dont have time to wait
Old 08-17-2010, 11:11 PM   #10
nbpro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchemist View Post
That's exactly what I'm talking about. We all know money talks and bs walks. Without documentation of what parts was actually put in the motor, it would be hard for me to pay that $1400 for it. The pics I saw, correct me if I'm wrong, the motor wasn't even painted out. At 5k, should've been able to get a couple of spray bomb cans and made it look a little better. I see those motors on Craigslist for about $800 quite often. And I'm talking with no documentation, because I can tell you I put so and so in my engine and it not be what it actually is. Here's a link 343 hp 305 Build-up to a 305 build. Don't think it's a tbi, but somewhere to start.
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #11
BigBlocksRule

Run an ad in your local Craiglist, look for a 4-bolt block that's set up for the factory hydraulic roller cam. I generally find 'em for about $200 with the dogbone/spider for the lifters along with the fixture for the rear seal and the oil pan. If possible, get a pair of main bearings that came out of the block, you can use them to hold the crank in place while you check for clearances and you won't mess up a new set. Ebay a Scat stroker crank, pistons are more plentiful if you get one that's externally balanced and uses 5.7" rods. Expect to pay around $250 with shipping. Scat makes some nice capscrew rods that use 3/8" capscrews, they're generally around $200 for the set. SpeedPro/Federal Mogul stroker pistons should run around $200 - $250 for the set for hypereutectics and they'll be fine for up to a 150 shot or so as long as fuel and ignition are set up correctly. Vortec heads are available for around $200/pair bare, they'll need a little work including having the guides cut down for retainer clearance and a good valve job. A few minutes work on the short turns - particularly the exhaust - will be worth 15hp or so. Another $200 should get new valves, springs, retainers, etc. Reground steel core cams are available from a lot of places, I use Delta Cams in Washington state, they're a lot cheaper than buying new. An LT4 stock cam is pretty much what we used to call an "RV" cam, more grunt that stock but not racey. If you want a bit more, the LT4 HotCam is tough to beat, it'll give you a bit of lope at idle and plenty of vacuum for brakes, etc. There are plenty of dual plane intakes available that work on the Vortec heads, shouldn't have to spend more than about $125 for one of those.
Email me direct at 81vette4speed@suddenlink.net, I'll send you some links to some of the parts sellers I've used in the past that are stand-up folks and won't screw you around.
My son and I built one of these for his '99 Tahoe at the same time we rebuilt the 350 for mine. Same cam, same tune, his is a 4-door 4WD and mine is a 2-door 4WD, he outweighs me by about 800 lbs and runs off an leaves me like I'm tied to a post. There's a reason that a lot of folks build strokers - they WORK!!!
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #12
team39763

I think your buddy messed up if he spent 5k on that and still came away with hypereutectic pistons(those pistons cost less than $300). Maybe he spent all the money on the heads? Be careful on craigslist though, my neighbor bought a shortblock from a guy that told him it had forged pistons, nitrous cam, and some other crap. After buying it and getting it home it turned out that the pistons were some cheap hypereutectics and the cam had no markings on it. The guy refused to refund the money because "that's what HIS friend told him was in the motor". So just be careful if you find a motor online.