The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
bhammer

Bags Vs. Coils

Hey guys,

I have a 72 LWB C-10, I'm in the process of lowering my truck and need to decide on a conventional 4/6 lowering kit or putting bags on the rear end. I want to be able to do some heavy duty towing and I hear bags are a great way to lower the rear of your truck while maintaining towability. Can anyone give me some feedback on how the ride is with bags? Should I just go bags all around if I do? I have heard the ride with bags can be stiff and jumpy. Anyone have any feedback?

Also, if I go the conventional route what would be the best kit to go with? I am thinking a 4/6 drop, but I want the truck to be as close to level as possible. I am not a huge fan of having a rake. A small, very small one is acceptable but I am leaning toward none at all. Is a 4/6 even the right kit to use? I don't want to have to notch the frame. Can I get away with putting on larger tires? Anything would help guys... Thanks in advance.

P.S. As you can see, the ass end is just a bit higher than level. I just want to drop it a little bit. Any suggestions?

Brian
Attached Images

bhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Re: Bags Vs. Coils

just my .02

I had both a minimum and a huge conventional drop and now bags. I can honestly say that the bags ride better than any setup I've ever had. bags are also adjustable to what your doing at the time be it towing or show. however a full air ride system is not exactly cheap. plan on at least 1k to 2k, depending on how you set it up.

springs are stiffer, but more economical and in some cases, reliable.

lastly, your truck should be approx 2" higher in the rear than it is the front if it still has the original suspension on it. a 4/6 drop should put you even all the way around, but with a noticably lowered stance.

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:33 AM   #3
Mondo

I have coil drop (actually more like 5/7) but will probably put bags (or helper bags) on the back (just use shraeder valve for occasion heavy load).
With coils I don't worry about front end alignment changes with different pressures (don't know how much of an issue that really is). The rear springs are soft for a good ride and won't carry a load of any significant weight. No air compressor etc... is a plus.
Attached Images

Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:40 AM   #4
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

If you plan on hauling then I would say put bags in back, you can do like suggested and use tire valves then just air up for heavy duty. otherwise anytime you haul you will lean back.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:49 AM   #5
firedog

i agree with tcb the ride is much better on air... think about it just about every 18 wheeler on the road now days has air ride suspension
Tach/tilt/buddy buckets
Bagged/18" Wheels
Black on Black

Project "Pandemic" the Farm Rat
1927 Chevy Capitol Truck Rat rod
'30 Model A Frame
Dual Carb 5.3 LS
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=804162

2007 GMC 4 DOOR 2WD
BUILT 5.3 STAGE 3 CAM 93 TUNE
LIFTED 22X12 WHEELS 33" TIRES

2023 Jeep RENEGADE
Wifes ride
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
Irishpilot

Air ride rides smooth and with a sway bar, it handles well through the corners. Adjustable with the ability to haul. I pieced mine together and I spent $1500 with an 8 valve setup.
406ci sb; zero decked, bored .030, edelbrock aluminum e-tec heads, edelbrock performer RPM intake, comp 268 cam, comp 1.6 pro-magnum roller rockers, MSD street fire HEI, MSD 8.5mm wires, Holley Street demon 770, Hedman LT headers. 10.6:1 compression, Air Ride Tech bags on all 4-corners.
Irishpilot is offline   Reply With Quote