The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
JohnSerbian

Royal purple? Or what oil do you use and how do you feel about it?

I just went through the process of starting my truck up after two years and I'm trying to throw whole worlds of dreams at her to get the most out of the truck. It's a list in some what order of distilled water in the Rad with superflush for a couple of weeks and regular old Valvoline or something for the first 500 miles, then I'll dump it all and I was considering going synthetic. Royal Purple seems to be a highly held oil and my question is have any of you guys tried it out, and if not, what DO you use in general, fluids all around? There is so many brands out there, and it would be a neat thread to see what everyone uses, pros, cons, ect. Personally I'm gonna try RP for oil and apperantly they have tranny fluid, and a coolant additive to boot. What do you guys think? Foolish? Awesome?
Old 08-21-2010, 02:32 AM   #2
79gmcc15
Gettin It One Pice At A Time

Re: Royal purple? Or what oil do you use and how do you feel about it?

Switching to synthetic is great. Especially for your flat lifters and the additional zinc. I run amsoil in my car.

Work In Progress 1979 GMC C1500 Trailering Special.
Getting the truck done, one piece at a time.

“You can tell a lot about a fellow’s character by his way of eating jellybeans.”Ronald Reagan

“I don’t know the key to success but I know the key to failure is trying to please everybody.” Bill Cosby
79gmcc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:17 AM   #3
nbpro
Account Suspended

that's using your dip stick jimmy
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:10 AM   #4
BigBlocksRule

RP is the most expensive of the synthetics I've checked out. I think it's waaay overkill for a DD that's not a race engine. Synthetics are great, but there's no reason to go quite that far. O'Reilley's now has their own brand of full synthetic for not much more than you'd expect to pay for a good dino oil.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:21 AM   #5
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Use Mobil 1 you cant get better oil for your money atleast not hear

if its a rebuild motor that has breakin lube etc in it or something i use a cheap brand
for like a day or 2 and drian it and then treat it well with some nice oil

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #6
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

x2

I use Mobil 1 in my "fleet" (6 vehicles), Mobile 1 High Mileage on my '65 C10, it wouldn't pass emissions test on regular oil.

I used to be the regular dino oil guy, changing oil every 3000 miles, religously. When I purchased my '02 Toyota Tacoma (bought it new) I did a lot of research on synthetics and oil change intervals. When I first bought it I was changing the oil every 10,000 miles and the filter every 5,000 miles. I was driving a lot of miles then and now I am not. I now change the oil every 8000 miles. Truck now has nearly 100,000 miles, no issues whatsoever.

The biggest factor is a good oil filter, like Bosch. The research I did stated Fram filters are not very good.

Keep your eyes open for Mobil 1 sales and rebates. They can save you serious bucks.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 08-21-2010 at 07:41 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
BigBlocksRule

I'm a huge fan of Amsoil, but Mobil 1 is a great synthetic, too, and can generally be found for less than Amsoil. Mobil 1's filters are incredible when compared to others, both in construction quality and effectiveness/efficiency.
I'm running the O'Reilley's in my Tahoe right now, 1500 miles and it looks like I put it in yesterday. Part of that's due to the fact that my engine was built to race specs with a torque plate hone, file fit rings, etc. O'Reilley's ran a sale when I put mine in - 5 quarts plus a filter for $17.50. It was a no-brainer for me!
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
Ghastlyone

Valvoline conventional 20w50.

Really the only oil I've ever used.
Ghastlyone is offline   Reply With Quote