The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2003, 11:33 PM   #1
mbc9ie

Changing a 69 over to 72 front brakes...

i have both trucks (69, 72)... putting the front disks brakes on the 69 from the 72? what all has to be done to change them over? can i just slap on some new bearings and go with it.. i know that iot wont be that easy but hey.. why not...
i have plenty of time to do this...

any ideas of what i will need to buy for it?

jason

95 Z28 with a few toys
mbc9ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 01:18 AM   #2
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Well 4 good heavy jack stands to start with. If you are real carefull you won't have to buy anything. I would remove the entire crossmember and replace it with the one from the 71. Take everything!!! All of the steering linkages, pitman arm, steering gear, brake lines, proportioning valve, master cylender and power brake booster all the way back to the pedal if you have it. You will need to carefully disconnect the brake line that leads back to the rear of the truck at the first union inside the frame rail on the passinger side of the truck. You won't need to be real carefull removing the stuff from your 69 (except to disconnect the brake line at the frame rail where I just explained.) Remove everything else.... You will need to be carefull how you remove the brake lines from the 71 if you want to be able to re-use them and they will fit on your 69 just like they are on your 71. When you remount your 71 crossmember under your 69 you will find that you will have two holes on each side of your frame that allow you to bolt the sides of the crossmember in place and 3 holes in the bottom of your crossmember to bolt it from the bottom. Align the three holes with the bolts and look at the two holes on the side of the frame. You will find that only the front hole will align perfectly and the rear hole is slightly off. Thats ok!! Just file the hole untill you open it up enough to get the bolt in!!... Bolt it all back together, mount the brake lines, bleed the system and drive it away!! Well first let it down off the jack stands first... LOL WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com

P.S. This job can be acomplished with the engine in place, but I highly recommend you remove it for this job...
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote