The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
DjS71

Question Work boots! (foot care)

What do ya'll use?

I'm primarily on concrete / asphalt all day. Was using a pair of converse composite safety toe geared toward police work, but the soles just wore out too fast. Also had a pair of redwings a while back, that were great, but didn't breathe too good, which is a big deal with heat radiating upwards.

That brings up another question, recommend any inserts for evening out the wear I get on the out side heel on each foot?

Thanks.

~Dan
Old 08-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
brans72

Re: Work boots! (foot care)

Redback boots Matco tools sells them.Best boots I have found!
brans72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
nds1968

I bought Wolverine boots for years but I am no longer happy with them. They seemed to were out to fast and are heavy. My last pair I sent back for warranty and they sent me another identical pair that the seems split and soles cracked in the same spot in about 6 weeks of wearing them.

I just purchased these http://workingperson.com/products/22...ots_47019.html about 4 weeks ago from a local boot store. I like them so far, they are comfortable and very light. I do maintenance at a college campus and they work great for every thing but cutting grass and weed trimming on hills.

1967 short fleet Project Blue Goose
'If it don't bounce back... heeheehee you go hungry!" Blues Brothers
nds1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
cableguy0

I used wolverines for a while but got tired of splitting them straight across the bottom of the sole from kneeling to set the lift. I bought a set of redwings and they are the absolute most comfortable pair of boots I have ever had. They Werent cheap but I wouldnt hesitate to buy another pair.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
Sinister
Between Trucks...

I've been pretty happy with Georgia Boots. On my second pair.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
68longhorn

I buy timberland boots. Can be a little pricey and a lil heavy, but I think they are real comfy and durable. I'm a mechanic and the only downside is the traction sucks on a trans fluid soaked floor. I normally replace them every 1.5 years because I drag my heels.
68longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
60ratrod
yes, i do

i wear what ever i get issued to me from the navy supply system. and trust me i know about the heat thing from being on hot hot flight deck in the middle of the gulf. some of the best boots that i have been issued were bellville boots, but the only down side to those is the leather can be real delicate and the soles wear out in 6 months or less on the flight deck. i got a knock off pair of those right now that i wear everyday called wellco and they can never get the size right. with this company you ask for a 10.5 and you can either get a boot that fits like a 9.5 or one that fits just right or feels like a 14. its like there's no quality control. but for when i'm doing things at home i've had red wings and those were alright.

-60 Chevy C10, dead 350/good th350 combo, sitting on a 76 c10 blazer frame, built from 11 different vehicles "the abomination"
-07 gmt900 silverado 1500 lt xcab z71, granite blue
-81 suzuki gs650g "shelah"- current project
-81 kz1000m1 csr "sarge" -next project (just beautification)
-07 kawasaki vulcan classic vn900
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #8
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

I work in construction and I'll tell yea I wear Dunhams!! a buddy turned me on to them about 5/6 years ago..they are very light weight!!!! the soles are fexable and I get about a year out of them..it seems like the tops and bottoms wear pretty even...they are very water proof ( no side seam and triple stiched) and keep in mind I could be on hot aspahlt paving today or anckle deep in crete tomorrow....very very happy and about $100
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:11 AM   #9
POPO1984

I have a pair of Danner's that I have had for 2 years. Im in LE and alot of guys use them. They can be resoled and they fit great. they are comfortable to run in or stand on for 4 or 5 hours at a bar all night. They make alot of different styles check them out. and they are completely water proof which I found out in Hurrican IKE.
POPO1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:40 PM   #10
bigsnookmaster

I wear ECCO boots. I started wearing them about 10 years ago while working for the power company. Theyr'e Gore-tek lined and completely waterproof. I sometimes even wear them on my boat when I go offshore fishing. They are awesome on the feet and I can wear them 14 hrs a day! They're about $200 a pair though. Money well spent to be that comfortable!
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #11
GRX

No matter what boots you choose I'd highly recommend a pair of Dr Scholls sport insoles. I have worked as a machinist for decades. Which means walking & standing on hard concrete for long hours. No bone spurs on my feet yet. Unlike many of my younger co-workers.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:06 AM   #12
60ratrod
yes, i do

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRX View Post
No matter what boots you choose I'd highly recommend a pair of Dr Scholls sport insoles. I have worked as a machinist for decades. Which means walking & standing on hard concrete for long hours. No bone spurs on my feet yet. Unlike many of my younger co-workers.
x2 on any insole. i'm only 25 and i get all sorts of lower back pains if i'm on my feet for long periods of time. when i was going through physical therapy my doctor gave me some insoles with hard arches for my feet and they help alot. i still get back pains, but not as bad and it takes a lot longer too.

-60 Chevy C10, dead 350/good th350 combo, sitting on a 76 c10 blazer frame, built from 11 different vehicles "the abomination"
-07 gmt900 silverado 1500 lt xcab z71, granite blue
-81 suzuki gs650g "shelah"- current project
-81 kz1000m1 csr "sarge" -next project (just beautification)
-07 kawasaki vulcan classic vn900
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:53 AM   #13
bigbluthng

wolverine raiders here. i get about 9 months out of them. the multishox sole seems to outlast the boot itself. the insoles wear quickly and the laces last about two months. other than that i have been pretty happy with them. the price around here is $140 but the shop throws in the extra insoles and a pair of wax laces. i do GENERAL maintenance. more like construction really so my boots get a lot of exposure to differant jobs.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:30 AM   #14
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

Oakley's all the way....

2003 SILVERADO SS--THE NEW GIRL

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
dieselarmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:13 AM   #15
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

For working in my shop, my old trusty Red Wing 8" steel toes have never let me down. When I'm actually at work (non-automotive related) I wear a composite toe Rocky 8" boot. Much like the above mentioned Danners, my Rockies can be resoled.

Last edited by fryer1979; 09-09-2010 at 06:16 AM.
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #16
Crazyz28

I'm a GM mechanic, so Steel Toe is a must (at least in my eyes, still see techs wearing normal shoes at work though). I am very limited in my options since I wear size 16, and I am flatfooted. I'm on my 3rd, soon to be 4th pair of Redwings and couldn't be happier. The last me about a year and are very comfortable/have great support. I have the mid-tops, the name of the model is worn out on the ones I have now, but I'll post up in a week of which ones they are (yep, takes a week to get my special ordered size in cause they probably have to use an entire cow to make my shoes).
'02 Chevy Impala-DD for now
-Ryan, GM Master Technician
Crazyz28 is offline   Reply With Quote