The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2010, 06:49 AM   #1
PRattenbury

1980 fuel pump question

So, I have a 1980 short wide 2WD truck with a transplanted small block V8. Truck was originally an inline six. My mechanical fuel pump (stock type) on the engine that was put in the truck has a line going it from the tank (a hose, actually) another smaller hose which is return to the tank, and a hard line out of it that goes to the carburetor. When I bought the truck the return line off the pump (the smaller hose) was blocked off with a screw in the end of the hose, and clamped. It turns out the hose was dilapidated, and began to leak when I got the engine fired back up. Naturally, I'm going bananas trying to decide if I should replace the fuel pump with one that just has in and out, with no return, or if the truck is supposed to have the return line and I have a line missing or hidden somewhere in the truck I need to repair, and whether or not it's a good idea to have the port on the pump plugged off like that. So if anyone here has a 1980 truck like mine that knows what fuel lines I should have at my pump, if you could let me know, I'd be grateful. Thanks!
PRattenbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
PRattenbury

Re: 1980 fuel pump question

Nobody knows nuttin bout no fool pumps, huh?
Old 08-26-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
82chevy350

if you got all the lines up front i would get the one that that has all three if not you should be alright with just the line from tank and one to motor i think the just plugged the return line to get more pressure out of the pump

'82 Primer White c10 2wd LWB 350 sbc t350
(Hot Rod)
'90 2wd LWB Silverado 350 tbi 700R4
(Daily Driver)
'53 m38a1 Willys Jeep
(Toy)
82chevy350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

The return line was installed to facilitate a little bit of flow back to the tank, so that the fuel pump would not overheat and cause vapor locking. I use mine on my aftermarket pump and it does help. I am running an Edelbrock pump with the extra lower plate installed, so that I could create the return fitting.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
PRattenbury

Thanks for the info. What I'm really interested in knowing is whether a 1980 2WD C10 shortbed pickup with a 305 V8 and automatic transmission, single tank on the right side, red exterior color, manual crank windows and chrome front bumper was built with a supply and return line between the pump and tank, or just a supply line. Put in a different way, would the mechanical fuel pump mounted on the right front area of the engine have two metal nozzles and a female threaded port, or just a single metal nozzle and a female threaded port. Any knowledge on this point is certainly greatly appreciated....
Old 08-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #6
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRattenbury View Post
Thanks for the info. What I'm really interested in knowing is whether a 1980 2WD C10 shortbed pickup with a 305 V8 and automatic transmission, single tank on the right side, red exterior color, manual crank windows and chrome front bumper was built with a supply and return line between the pump and tank, or just a supply line. Put in a different way, would the mechanical fuel pump mounted on the right front area of the engine have two metal nozzles and a female threaded port, or just a single metal nozzle and a female threaded port. Any knowledge on this point is certainly greatly appreciated....
IF there is a return line, it would be a steel 1/4" line that runs just along side the bigger fuel supply line. There would be two connections at the tank, also.