The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
Boox

Newbe, I can't take it anymore

Alright I have been creeping on this site for a couple of months and finally I couldn't take it anymore. I have to show you guys what I bought and I'm pumped about this. I have no clue what to do. I cant sand, weld or paint but who cares I might still give it a try, I'm in no rush to fix this baby. I rather take my time getting it right than do it half way and screw myself later on.

I found this in the Bay Area a 1960 chevy stepside. I know it has the GMC headlights but I kind of like it, maybe I'll get rid of the GMC logo and leave the open mouth look with the two eyes on the hood. The truck looks like a dump but runs like a baby. I have no clue on anything about this truck except it has a 350 that was just put in and it's the one truck I have always wanted.

The doors are in bad shape and the floors worse, luckily for me the following week I found this rust free cab near my home for $300. The cab is straight and very clean but the problem is I have no clue were to begin. The best advise I got from this site is to work on the truck and drive it, I believe this will not make me go crazy and disullusioned. The bed is also in bad shape but will replace that with a new bed eventually. I couldn't take it anymore guys so here it is.

The question I have involves the cab and stripping the paint and surface rust. I am debating whether I should use aircraft stripper and do it myself or hire someone to either sand it down or soda blast it. I will have someone epoxy it and then it will be stored until I can do something with it. I would appreciate any input.
Attached Images

Boox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
gulffishin

Re: Newbe, I can't take it anymore

That's a cool truck, and a great looking cab!

Personally, I don't like to mess with paint stripper; I would pay someone to blast it for me, or just leave it be it looks great like it is .

Last edited by gulffishin; 08-26-2010 at 11:29 PM.
gulffishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
Boox

Thanks gulffishin for the input on the paint stripper. The the reason I was debating doing it myself was so I would feel involved. Do you or anyone else on this site know if soda blast would get rid of surface rust.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2010, 01:26 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I do not recommend soda blasting, as well as many paint manufacturers do not. The soda blasting isn't all it's cracked up to be. There have been many cases of paint issues following soda blasting. Find someone that uses another type of abrasive, and not silica sand either. You might try sending a PM to ChiefRocka. He's a mod here and he used to live in San Jose, so he might know of where you can have that cab blasted. IMO blasting is the absolute best way to clean rusted metal and remove paint. You'll want to be sure to get some epoxy primer on it soon afterwards.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:31 AM   #5
66coffin

Listen to the Cap, above he's always steered me in the right direction!
Old 08-27-2010, 01:37 AM   #6
jayman68
Fun Stuff

Congrats on the cool truck. Welcome from NW Washington. Good luck with the project. Cool dog.

68 C10(project)
88 Honda Accord(DD)
93 Chevy Astro EXT 2wd
jayman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:46 AM   #7
Bugeyev8

or sell me the cab and forget about it...man how did you find that ?? we are fishing in the same ponds here in the Bay... goodluck with the project...you can do it just don't bite off more than you can handle at a time
Bugeyev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:42 AM   #8
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

By your description I was expecting to see something a lot worse off than what your truck really is. It actually looks pretty good. Congrats on the pickup.
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:16 AM   #9
gulffishin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boox View Post
Thanks gulffishin for the input on the paint stripper. The the reason I was debating doing it myself was so I would feel involved. Do you or anyone else on this site know if soda blast would get rid of surface rust.
Paint stripper is messy, and caustic as hell. It will burn your skin, eyes, and anywhere else it gets on you. Believe me, and I'm sure everyone else on here will agree, you will have PLENTY of work ahead of you to get your fill of involvement even if you pay someone to strip the paint for you.

Soda will remove paint (not as efficiently as other medias), but will not remove rust very well.

Last edited by gulffishin; 08-27-2010 at 08:18 AM.
gulffishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

nice truck & good looking cab...glad u decided to post it, & keep us updated on the progress
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:56 AM   #11
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Sweet truck! I would suggest just driving and tinkering with the truck and not swapping the cab for a while.

So many people buy a truck and then completely tear it all apart, get discouraged because of a lack of time, tools & money and then sell the project for les than they have in it.

Enjoy it for a while to build up some memories to keep you pumped during the tear down.

Good lucks and keep us posted on your changes / progress.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:19 AM   #12
Boox

Thanks to everyone who responded and I'm feeling a lot better about the truck by the day. I will definitely look in to other options on getting rid of the paint, thanks cap. I found the cab on craigslist but fro some reason this person in the bay area had it under the Sacramento area. I just searched every area withing a few hours of my home.

That dog is bubbs he's my brothers, I just wanted to see how he would look in a real truck thinking of getting one. Currently I'm saving up some cash for a new bed and trying to find the to at least strip one little piece such a's the fender but time is tough with work and studying for the CPA exam.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #13
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Welcome to the site- some good advice so far.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:14 PM   #14
forestb

If I were you I would leave the bed for last. A beet up bed comes in a lot more handy while working on a truck than a nice bed that you can't put anything into.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:36 PM   #15
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Welcome aboard man .... Another San Jo Native ..... SWEET !!!

Just moved to Hollister the beginning of the year.

I agree with the bed idea, leaving for last and use it as a 'truck'

As far as blasting the cab, my buddy manages a local powder shop and he gives me great deals on blasting.

Mabey, you can build that cab up .... then swap it over one weekend ....

Always willing to help out a peep from San Jo ... let me know if I can help ...

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #16
skysoldier173rd

Noticed the wheels on your truck. I too have a 60 gmc stepside just like yours. I'd like to know where you got those wheels and what kind of price. I'm looking for some similar. I take it they are 6 lug?

www.picturetrail.com/skysoldier173rd
skysoldier173rd is offline   Reply With Quote