The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2003, 08:55 PM   #1
mtandrews

gas tank

saw in an old classic chevy truck magazine a 68 pickup with a gas tank out of a buick. thats all it said in the mag. buick what??? regal, 225, front or rear drive?? a few months later a 70 with the same thing, same mag, but now tank is from an olds. Is this a good old boy secret or an oversight by the mag assuming that all classic chevy truck guys know what the donor vehicle is. I know that there are a couple of aftermarket sources where you can spend $299++ for a kit but what about us poorboys. there is a junkyard here in san antonio that sells gas tanks complete with mounting straps and sending unit all day for $30 but you pull it, you bought it. guessing can get real expensive real fast. does anyone out there know anything about this or know what vehicles' tank fits in between the rails where the spare goes. any help/info will be greatly appreciated because a big block goes through a stock 14 gallon tank faster than you can say cinco de mayo!! mtandrews@hotmail.com
mtandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 11:54 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

try a search on the topic. It's been discussed to death.
And I have to comment...how do you only have a 14 gallon tank? Is it caved in or something?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 01:05 AM   #3
mtandrews

the stock vented tank on the 69 cst big block is either 14 or 16 gallons from the factory. most of the 16 gallon ones of are the non-vented variety which mostly came on the 6 cyl and a few small blocks. every big block one i have seen are the vented (smaller) tank. I'll try the search. thanks longhornmail
Old 02-24-2003, 01:16 AM   #4
mtandrews

just searched the topic 9 different ways. no luck. used google and yahoo.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:56 AM   #5
Custom 68

use the search on here is what they meant. It is a topic in this board. Search is at the top right...
good luck
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 03:04 PM   #6
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

According the factory manual...

....and I quote: "All cab model trucks (except Tilt Cabs) have a 21-gallon (17.5 Imperial Measure) capacity (approx.) fuel tank mounted behind the seat within the cab."

This tidbit doesn't say, "except for big blocks, etc.". So, unless your tank has collapsed, or you're using Imperial Measure, it holds 21 gallons in the U.S.

I did see a '72 in my hometown, that had an Olds tank. It was standing up in the front of the bed, held in place by some bungee cords. I don't know what model of Olds it came from, though.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 04:57 PM   #7
BobM

I've heard of guys installing a car tank between the frame rails. They turn it 90 degrees in order for it to fit. Don't know the make or model they are using, but will do some investigating.

The two advantages are that they are cheaper and don't hang down as far as the Blazer tanks.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 05:42 PM   #8
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

I have a 68 tank in my longhorn........it is NOT as wide as the one i pulled out. I havent checked it for capacity, but assume that it doesnt hold as much as the orig. I have been told this is BS, but had both tanks on e in front of the other! This tank is not vented.......only through the cap. I have seen what the books say, so that leaves this old man a little cornfussed! Give you guys something to think about........ anybody else see this? crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 12:35 AM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I have never noticed any tanks that differ in size,a nd never read anything that supports it.
interesting....
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 12:41 AM   #10
adamls
Gotta Startem Early

I have a 67 with I6, and I know I siphoned at least 20 gallons out of the tank before pulling it. So it must be the 21 gallon version.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:37 PM   #11
BobM

Talked to my local parts supplier. He tells me that he's heard of guys using tanks out of a 82 or 83 Cutlas which fits between the frame rails if you turn it 90 degrees and remove one of the cross braces. Haven't seen one, but might be worth while investing further. Will get the dimensions.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 11:52 PM   #12
Jackal2k9

poly tanks rnt that expensive i got mine from Mother Truckers a while back for 180, but i think they r 230 now.... and if you dont mind the behind the seat kind i have one that has to be atleast 20 gallons ill sell for cheap. I think i still have the mounting bolt some where.
Jackal2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote