The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Question McGaughy's 6 Lug Rotors Changeover to 5 Lug???? Just Thinking....

thumbing through the new Classic Trucks got me thinking, and usually that's not good for the wallet.

anyhow....... I have McGaughy's drop spindles and a 6 lug rotor/disc brake setup. I started thinking about the evil deed of switching over to 5 lug and was wondering, without pulling the rotors off and measuring them, if a '72 on 5 lug rotor would retrofit on the McGaughy's kit.

any ideas? wonder if McGaughy's would know??

further, the article goes on to describe redrilling the rear axles. it describes that one lug stud hole is to be welded up and so on.

has anyone tried this with much success? cheaper to buy new axles?

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

Re: McGaughy's 6 Lug Rotors Changeover to 5 Lug???? Just Thinking....

i know new axles are 375 shipped from Moser... I got a quote from them about a week ago.

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb-1 View Post
thumbing through the new Classic Trucks got me thinking, and usually that's not good for the wallet.

anyhow....... I have McGaughy's drop spindles and a 6 lug rotor/disc brake setup. I started thinking about the evil deed of switching over to 5 lug and was wondering, without pulling the rotors off and measuring them, if a '72 on 5 lug rotor would retrofit on the McGaughy's kit.

further, the article goes on to describe redrilling the rear axles. it describes that one lug stud hole is to be welded up and so on.

Cheaper to re-drill? Maybe.
Better to weld & re-drill? Nope. There's still @ least 38yrs of bearing wear on the OE axle shafts. New axles can have the correct pattern, zero wear, & be stronger than the OE material. I've done it each way & will just do fresh axles if/when possible.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 08-30-2010 at 02:58 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb-1 View Post

Any 71-87 1.25" wide 5-lug rotor should work.
The '73+ rotors are usually cheaper than the 71-72 stuff,... but I just checked Oreilly Automotives website and they are the same part numbers. (makes sense)

Wagner #BD60258 $81.99 each.
Brake Best #5006RGS $30.99 each.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 08-30-2010 at 03:46 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
raycow

Not to be the devil's advocate here, but if you already have the same bolt pattern F&R now, why would you want to change either one?

If it's for wheels, there is no shortage of good-looking 6 hole wheels, both factory and aftermarket.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 08-30-2010 at 04:06 PM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
dieselarmy13
Phone's ringin Dude.

Hi, my name is Doug, and I am a wheelaholic. I will not rest in peace until I have tried every form of steel wheel on my truck.

2003 SILVERADO SS--THE NEW GIRL

1972 GMC--THE OLD GIRL
dieselarmy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
.....If it's for wheels, there is no shortage of good-looking 6 hole wheels, both factory and aftermarket.
True, but most of those cool later model wheels don't have the correct back space to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselarmy13 View Post
Hi, my name is Doug, and I am a wheelaholic. I will not rest in peace until I have tried every form of steel wheel on my truck.
That's pretty funny.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #8
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselarmy13 View Post
I......need......my......steel.......wheel......fix!!! diesel, you know me like the back of your hand!!

actually, Keith is correct. 6 lug rims aren't exactly easy to find. yes there are a WHOLE bunch of 6 lug rims, but the backspacing is completely bass-ackwards. yes, I am a recovering steel wheel addict, but I love 5 spokes and..... there are no 5 spoke, 6 lug rims out there. regardless, the retrofitting to a 5 on 5 pattern would open up more possibilities.

just thinking of another change in atittude.

then again, I may have another trick up my sleeve. can you say mid 60's burb? the family is growing and the beater may have a price tag on her soon....... oh well, on to the next project

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote