The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Brake Swith Over- Was Window Trim- Free Truck

First, about saving the window trim:

Thanks for the info. I'll "horse" the rubber out of the '68 cab and '71 cab with a nice, sharp utility knife. My default: No cutting arms, hands, face, or personal parts ???????

I really appreciate the feedback. Trying to do as much of this as I can myself for fun....And due to a sparse, but reasonable budget and expectations. I decided to do the inside of the cab right, so I don't have to get in there again on the basic stuff. Going gloss black out to the edges of where the exterior paint will eventually start, including the door jams, door panels and interior sides of the doors.

Then, the new project:

Then, after looking at the "Black Truck" thread in the Forum, I've decided to go black outside.

But for now, I'll finish off the inside of the cab (using the '68 cab), bring over the good stuff from the '71 air cab, (after going gloss on the firewall) and then put the windows back in.

All closed up, after moving the bed off and over, there's the cab body work. I can't do this, so I'll either find a roving body man to come to the shop (garage), or put a steering column in and load her up on a friend's car hauler. There's some good guys around here that are struggling because of the economy, so I'd like to give them first shot at the body work. I'll do my best to check 'em out. Maybe by giving them a door and see if they bring it back straight within the next six years......In my book, anybody that wants to work, and can't honestly find work, deserves first shot at it. That's just my thinking.

The chassis is a pristine re-done '71 with all Early Classic parts. If I don't get in the way of the body work, I'll drop the 350 back in. It has a serpentine set up..., not fancy not chrome. I'll stick with that for now. Nice, big aluminum radiator that came with the deal. Hope it works out....with the trans cooler, etc. Cleaning up a 350 trans. For now I'll run the 2-piece drive shaft.

In the meantime, the inside of the '71 front end which is sitting outside on blocks, will get gloss on the inner fenders...again, out to the edge. And then some minor body work. The front end is all (well, what we'd all call "all together") sitting on the blocks. That front end was married to the '71 air cab and the '71 frame in Texas most of it's life.

The outside, for now (after the body work), will go in satin black...primer, I guess. I'm still deciding on trim or no trim. But that's an ea$y one for now. The budget suggests that I hang back. I'll be using a black bench seat in the cab for the time being, too.

My main deal now is that I need to figure out if I should steal the previously working brake set up from the '71 and graft it on to the '68 fire wall, or go with a simple master-cylinder on the fire wall as it came with the '68. I think I have all the stuff from the '71. I pulled the big doughnut and bracket off yesterday. I'm running fresh, drilled disks up front on the chassis, and drums in the rear. The '71 HAD disks up front, but all that stuff has now been replaced by ECE disks on drop spindles.

I checked a new brake system with the power stuff, and it's real money. If a MC on the '68 cab with the proper (disk/drum) set up would work, then that would be a lot cheaper, I think....I THINK....I'm a rookie. The '72 I built was all stock, so I didn't mess with it. I don't even remember what I had in there. Damn! My memory is shot.

Anyway, if you have any tips as to the switch over from the '68 to the '71, and any advice as to whether I should use the '71 power stuff, or just hang a master/cyl on the '68 cab's firewall, I'd love to hear from you.

The truck and parts are two blocks away, so I don't remember if the studs for the bracket that holds the power assist are on the '68 fire wall, but I expect that they aren't. Maybe I have to remove the inside bracket from the '71 cab and drill the firewall, too if I use the power stuff, huh?

Pics tonight. Thanks again.

All suggestions welcomed with open arms.

Finally, a free truck for any Forum Member who would like it:

Also, here's a '63 longie that was a farm truck. If anyone wants it, it's yours. I'm in Central California, above Fresno toward Yosemite. It has a running 327 in it, body is rough...sort of. Really restorable. Bed id wood and 2/3 there. All panels workable, some no body work needed. One blown muffler, granny first four speed. Glass is there but cracked. More pics if anyone is interested. The price is right. She's up on the hill and the brakes stick, so bring something to tow her with. Current tags and insurance...so no worries. Did I mention that she was free?
Attached Images

But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 08-30-2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: clarity
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

Re: Brake Swith Over- Was Window Trim- Free Truck

Is the 63 a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton? I am looking at the wheels, they appear to be wider then stock.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Re: Brake Swith Over- Was Window Trim- Free Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fabris View Post
Is the 63 a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton? I am looking at the wheels, they appear to be wider then stock.
It's a 1/2 ton. The wheels are, well...here are another few shots.

It looks like the first shot with about 17 more inches on the bed. The rest is real.

I just cleaned it up, sprayed on some primer, cleaned up the chassis and wheels and tires, cleaned up the engine bay as far as this pic went, got a good hood spring on the right side to replace a bad one...so the body all lines up.
I was trying to figure out what to do with her when I did the photoshop of the cut off rear of the bed. Then I got the new project goodies and the '63's been sitting on the hill.

It needs a home rather than being squished. I was going to sell it. Properly documented pre-'74's get special treatment in the after-market around here in smog-land.

But I want this truck to go where it should be....to be restored. I'm not going to sell it unless no one on the forum wants it for free. If that's the case, then I'll "craigslist" it. And then deal with the pedestrians that will come around, or email me
moaning about a rusted cab corner or torn seat in a $500 truck. Someone spare me from the pain of dealing with Joe Public...Take this truck..... for free!!!!!
Attached Images

But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 08-30-2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: spelling
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote