The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2010, 01:41 PM   #1
67mater

Disc Brake front brake line size

I've got a questions about brake line fitting size for a disc/drum setup. I converted my 67 4x4 to disc front/drum rear axles from a 79, and because I had drum/drum before I modified the plunger shaft to make the 79 master cylinder work with a 72 power booster I had. That master cylinder is now on the frits and I want to replace it.

If I get a 67-72 correct disc drum master cylinder will I have a different brake line size? I'll try to confirm what size I currently have, but does anyone know what size the stock front disc brake lines would be? 3/8? 5/16".

Also after struggling to bend my own and keep em tight to the cross frame I am seriously considering the prebent lines; anybody used them before? how do they fit?

1967 K10
1967 Camaro
67mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
swierker

Re: Disc Brake front brake line size

Not sure if this is the same for a 4x4 or not but I got my disc brake upgrade kit from Early Classic and they sent me a 3/16" line for the front discs. The stock drum front brake line is 1/4". The 1/4" line for the rear drums stays the same.

Last edited by swierker; 08-31-2010 at 03:25 PM.
swierker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
cparman
sharp as a marble

Re: Disc Brake front brake line size

the front line size is 3/16, and the lines running to the rear are 1/4. I would think that the 79 lines are the same. If you have the old lines, use them as a guide to bend the new lines. There are a bunch of inexpensive benders out there the will help you bend the new lines. Replacement brake lines available from any parts store are seamless thin wall tubing, that will not kink with a gentle bend. IMO you will need a bender to make a 90 degree bend to keep them from kinking. we replace a bunch of lines on late model stuff with out a bender. it will not look exactly like what we removed, but will work. the attention to detail to what you do will be proportionate to the time you put in it
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote