The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
JHT67

Gasgage not workin'

I thought I was out of gas, it was so low. I'm sure I needed some gas, but when I put some in it, the gage didn't move. It has an after market APC cluster in it (when I got it) so I'm thinking maybe loose connection or short ?? Anyone have any gas gage problems/fixes or what to look for?
JHT67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #2
SS Delux

Re: Gasgage not workin'

I have the exact same problem but I am running all original gauges and sending unit. You may have to replace the ground wire to the sending unit or in my case the entire unit itself. Try getting an original gas gauge and hook it up if the wiring is not too cut up.
SS Delux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
BlackTopMotors

I agree, check the wire to the sending unit...to the gauge. It usually is just a process of determining if you have power, where is it going to and if that is in place is it the sending unit...the gauge...

Hope you get it worked out soon!
BlackTopMotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Mine only goes up to 1/4 tank when full,.. then reads anything under that.. till empty...

any ideas about this? ground wire too?

"... Being "SQUARE".. is where it's at...."

Proverbs 15:30 .... "A Cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones..."
Be exceedingly blessed today, my friends!...
CaliDude76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
BlackTopMotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude76 View Post
Mine only goes up to 1/4 tank when full,.. then reads anything under that.. till empty...

any ideas about this? ground wire too?
Are you using the original tank and sending unit? If you are, pull the sending unit out and bench test it (Hook it up, make sure it's grounded...connect the wire and move the float to see if it moves the gauge. If you purchase a new sending unit make sure it is the correct one/ohms or it still won't read correctly. Bench test before putting it in...if it works which I suspect is the prob, replace and you are good to go.

FYI if your gas gauge isn't original then you need to find out it's ohms...and make sure you have a matching sending unit...

Last edited by BlackTopMotors; 09-01-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
tucsonjwt

Calidude - mine did the same thing - I checked grounds, replaced both sending units (dual tanks) - turned out to be gauge itself. You can find lots of info on how to troubleshoot this condition, but I did not find those instructions lead me to the correct solution - had to replace and guess. If you confirm that you have power to the gauge, I would get a replacement gauge and try that - easier than replacing sending units. Note on sending units, if you get the cheap spectra sending units they will cause your gauge to bounce when you drive much more so than the OEM sending units. I can live with that, for about 1/4 the cost of OEM.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
BlackTopMotors

I prefer to test first so you don't end up buying items you don't really need but which ever way you decide to go, here are a few prices on gauges and sending units (heck you could even add resistance to your gauge to see if it moves further...) Take Care!

PS. JHT67 I have a feeling the fuel gauge in the new cluster is not matching the sending unit (sometimes they include a new sending unit with the cluster...anyway just a thought..I was searching APC and can't find a fuel gauge...did you purchase the cluster or is it the "glow portion" that utilizes the stock gauges?.)

http://truckandcarshop.com/trucks73_91/t73_070.html

http://truckandcarshop.com/trucks73_91/t73_043.html

http://www.classicparts.com/searchprods.asp

http://www.classicparts.com/searchpr...number=1&val=0
Old 09-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #8
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Calidude - mine did the same thing - I checked grounds, replaced both sending units (dual tanks) - turned out to be gauge itself. You can find lots of info on how to troubleshoot this condition, but I did not find those instructions lead me to the correct solution - had to replace and guess. If you confirm that you have power to the gauge, I would get a replacement gauge and try that - easier than replacing sending units. Note on sending units, if you get the cheap spectra sending units they will cause your gauge to bounce when you drive much more so than the OEM sending units. I can live with that, for about 1/4 the cost of OEM.
Yeah, I'm thinkin i might try at the gauge too, seeings that it is the original set-up.. since the truck was new..

I have dual tanks as well, thought it was the switch, at first... me and my pops tore into it with testers and wires.. tried to bridge it... and so on.. same reading.. only up to 1/4

I'll start with the gauge.. hopefully thats it.

as long as I get some reading on my fuel level is all right.. but I'd just rather it work correctly though.. same with the rest of my gauges.. oil/volt/water, they dont work.. have to trace that too... dunno if its sending units.. or gauges

looks like troubleshooting time yet again

Proverbs 15:30 .... "A Cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones..."

Last edited by CaliDude76; 09-02-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:23 AM   #9
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackTopMotors View Post
Are you using the original tank and sending unit? If you are, pull the sending unit out and bench test it (Hook it up, make sure it's grounded...connect the wire and move the float to see if it moves the gauge. If you purchase a new sending unit make sure it is the correct one/ohms or it still won't read correctly. Bench test before putting it in...if it works which I suspect is the prob, replace and you are good to go.

FYI if your gas gauge isn't original then you need to find out it's ohms...and make sure you have a matching sending unit...
Yes, everything's all original as far as the gauge, tank and sending unit,.. I know something has to go sooner or later.. just figuring what,, is the issue.. you know?

I might can just start at the gauge, and work my way down.. hopefully I wont have to tear into the tank..

The gauge is getting juice though.. like I said it'll peak out at about a 1/4, and on a good day.. the needle will just about reach 1/2 tank, when I fill the tank good and full... then stay there till the tank actually reaches that level and move down.

I might even go down the junk-yard here and grab me a few gauges to see.. they have quite a few squares.. prolly get em for couple bucks a piece if that,. I'm sure one of em has to work right.. if that's the problem

Last edited by CaliDude76; 09-02-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:41 AM   #10
BlackTopMotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude76 View Post
I might even go down the junk-yard here and grab me a few gauges to see.. they have quite a few squares.. prolly get em for couple bucks a piece if that,. I'm sure one of em has to work right.. if that's the problem
That sounds like a good way to go. I have the tank in the cab of my truck so those are extremely easy to pull and test... Well anyway...it will work out. All those issues you mentioned are common so just keep going. I am a nut when things don't work as they should...if it's original then things just wear, build up a little corrosion. Just the other day I was replacing an ammeter...traced the prob to a small fuse in the engine compartment fixed it, tested it before putting the gauge cluster back in and it stopped working...went through the tracing process again, nothing, then went under the dash unplugged and replugged the harness and walla worked. All that effort and such a little thing. Take Care!
Old 09-02-2010, 01:28 AM   #11
sixshooter798
Desert Rat

My gas gauge quit working for a while too. Before you pull the cluster and start checking the ground, make sure a round plug in the firewall just behind the carburetor is plugged in.
sixshooter798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #12
JHT67

Quote:
PS. JHT67 I was searching APC and can't find a fuel gauge...did you purchase the cluster or is it the "glow portion" that utilizes the stock gauges?.)
I did a search too, and I'm guessing it's the glow through type. It used to be my B-I-L's truck and I'd say he put them in, so I suppose I need to get ahold of him. BTW does this change the way I should diagnose the problem?
JHT67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #13
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Quote:
That sounds like a good way to go. I have the tank in the cab of my truck so those are extremely easy to pull and test... Well anyway...it will work out. All those issues you mentioned are common so just keep going. I am a nut when things don't work as they should...if it's original then things just wear, build up a little corrosion. Just the other day I was replacing an ammeter...traced the prob to a small fuse in the engine compartment fixed it, tested it before putting the gauge cluster back in and it stopped working...went through the tracing process again, nothing, then went under the dash unplugged and replugged the harness and walla worked. All that effort and such a little thing. Take Care!
Absolutely.. it's the little foxes that get ya! with stuff like that. don't I know it. I'm the same way, about liking things to work as they should.

It's a slow and go process for me..to get everything on my truck up to par. I mentioned earlier that the rest of the gauges don't work anymore either. The speedo wobbles and squeeks, gas gauge you know about,. and the rest of em.. forget it,.. but what do I expect for a 26 yr old cluster?? hehe

I'm thinkin' just slowly ordering new gauges, speedo, circuit board, lens cover, the whole shabang.. and be done with it all, (even the darn gear indicator needle broke on me)..lol

'course, it only takes money.. right?

BTW.. thanks for the advice!! greatly appreciated,

Nice Burb too!...

Last edited by CaliDude76; 09-02-2010 at 12:28 PM.