The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
83burban

Rust Prevention

Hey everyone.

I saw a thread earlier about rust, and it got me thinking. My suburban has been a Cali truck its whole life until last year when I drove it to school. I was very good about power-washing the car (underside especially) since I know that salt makes things go from nice to bad very quickly.

Anybody have any tips for minimizing rust. Eventually (think 5 to 6 years) this truck will be frame off - but I would like to minimize the rust that accumulates in the mean time.

Are there any good products to use, coatings, etc for the undercarriage. The body has minimal rust, but there are couple cancer spots on the rockers now and I would like to prevent them from getting worse.

Thanks,
83burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #2
nbpro
Account Suspended

Re: Rust Prevention

wash the undercarrage during the warm winter days
As long as the temperature is below freezing, salt won't corrode your vehicle. It is when the temperature starts to get warmer and the salt is mixed with water that it becomes a problem. As soon as it starts to thaw, get to a car wash (Go to a hand wash place; not an automatic) and power wash every nook and cranny under your wheel wells and bumpers. Be sure to get those little pockets around mud flaps and fender flares where dirt and salt can accumulate.

Some states will also mix salt with coal cinders to improve traction. Coal cinders are nasty too, because they can get kicked up by tires and cause minute chips in your paint; especially along your rocker panels and lower doors. The best defense against that is to stay in the garage.lol

A good coat of wax in the fall before the bad weather starts is a good idea. If you insist on aftermarket rustproofing, this is a pretty good product www.ziebart.com/

Last edited by nbpro; 09-02-2010 at 07:55 PM.
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
Stroked87K10

I really like POR15. I used it on my 08 Jeep Wrangler and the under side still looks brand new, while my Dad's 08 Wrangler is starting to get rust covered. I plan on painting it on my Chevy over the winter. Here's a link... http://www.por15.com/POR-15/productinfo/1GB/
90 Burban Nose w/ Steel Cowl Hood
Blazer Buckets w/ Center Console
4"-6" lift and 35" BFG AT's
Stainless Bed Rail Bars
14 bolt FF rear Axle
Dana 44 Front Axle
Lund Roof Visor
Stroked87K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

Keep all dirt and such accumulation cleaned off. especially inside the back of the fenders and cowl. Clean em out and squirt some oil down in there, in the spots that like to rust.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:40 AM   #5
donut

Fluid Film works well http://fluid-film.com/, waste motor oil and a trip down a dirt road also works.
The only part of my truck that wasn't rotted out was caked in years of an old oil leak.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
chevymotocross

Zero Rust has been working good for me and trust me, I know all about rust being in CT. I am currently down in Texas at an Air Force base for training and it is so unfair how these old trucks don't rust here.

Zero Rust is cool because not only does it come in aerosal or roll-on, it really doesn't require any prep work. Just get the flaky loose stuff off and the product will adhere right to the rust.

Last edited by chevymotocross; 09-03-2010 at 09:29 PM.
chevymotocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #7
hatzie

A fellow I met in North Vancouver BC uses Ship-2-Shore PLID topped off with their Industrial Coating on his daily driver car and Jeep. The Car is from Quebec and suffered with the same salt usage as Upstate NY for at least 8 years.
http://www.ship-2-shore.com/products.htm
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:01 AM   #8
D13

When I bought my 1990 I waxed the outside and the underside of the hood, doors, etc. I washed the underside, let dry for 2 days, then used rubberized undercoating everywhere. I went to the marine store and got a can of Boshield T-9 which is what Boeing uses in airplane wings, took of the door trim and did the inside of the doors, then the cab corners,inside fenders, inside front hem of hood, tailgate, etc.
219, 000 Michigan miles, 9 winters, washed on average 2x a year (when the salt was so deep I couldn't open a door without getting filthy), the only rust on the truck was on the outside kust above the rear wheels. Evey other truck of its vintage needed rockers and cab corners.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote