The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
cyberpine

stalling even worse now.

Many months ago I posted this.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366699

Well the truck has been in a shop a couple of blocks away for months now. I've be stopping by and started her up and driving her around. The day I took her into that shop It stalled so many times I had to have it towed in. Anyways, along way we've change a number of things.. Gas , fuel filter and gas tank, fuel pump, tbi intake gasket, added manifold sealer, had to change the distributor.

The truck starts up great every time and drives hard and fast for about a minute then dies. If I leave it idle, it does basically what's in that video (fluctuates) then dies.

The mechanic gave up on it .. he said that if it where his he would pull out the TBI and put in a 4 barrel Holley Carburator.

Thoughts about that? How simple to do the swap?

Question, can I put in a Holley Carburator and keep the Edelbrock intake manifold? The current TBI is an after market Holley currently. Details about exact parts in link on my signiture.

update: someone suggested i uplug the EGR to see if idle fluctuation would stop, and it does, but then never idles and seems to run way too rich. If this is true, any chance my TBI or the injectors themselves are still failing. BTW, when removed the gas tank the fuel did not look or smell like gasoline, it had a oily feel to it. I now have a fresh tank, fuel filter and super unleaded gas.. still stalls.

Thanks.

video when truck was at least running:

My 1987 C10 Short Bed (click on slideshow to see full album)

Last edited by cyberpine; 09-03-2010 at 12:54 PM.
cyberpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
tazman87

Re: stalling even worse now.

could be a vacuum leak or a timing issue.
tazman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
TimQ

I just tracked down a vexing 4-year long stalling/starting issue to the Engine Spark Control module. Worth a look:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=419212
TimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Just guessing here. My old vehicles are all too primitive for injection.

If its injected, it's got a computer that should be saying something about what it thinks is wrong. If they've been read and things checked, bad connections make the computers crazy.

Go through and clean ground connections and the connections in connectors, as well as damaged wiring.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
tucsonjwt

Based on what you said about oily fuel in the tank, could someone have accidentally (or intentionally) put diesel in your tank? Do you have any of that oily fuel left around to check? Also, if the truck was not run for a long period of time, the fuel can varnish up and clog the fuel injectors, etc. Might need to clean/replace the entire fuel system. Just a thought.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
cyberpine

Thanks guys!

Update: My new mechanic spent a few days with the truck. He took off the throttle body and he says found junk he had to clean out. He said injects are spraying clean and consistent. Keep in mind I now have a new tank and fuel filter and fuel pump.

He now says the it's idleing beautifully without stalling or flutuating! However when you hit the gas it instantly dies.

He's a mobile mechanic that works from home and no way get any kind of readings on the engine, but thinks it might be the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor).

Thoughts?

Old 09-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #7
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

you say it has a Holly TBI?

i would get a Orginal GM TBI and try that. didnt RandyP have problems with his also?
also the

also replace the Engine Spark Control module heard they are a problem also

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #8
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Mine (Holley TBI on a new crate engine) would start and idle for about 10-30 minutes, and then kick down to like 300rpm and try to stall out. It would also not come to a stop light and idle, it would die out.
My GM mechanic replaced the TPS with a new OE sensor and then set the idle and timed it, the correct way. Now mine runs fairly well, still has a very low idle at stop lights, but just a little gas pedal (I'm talking rest your foot on the pedal at most) and it never dies out.

Most of my issues are from my engine though, seems the cam in the crate motor I picked does not do a very good job of creating vacuum, which causes the MAP sensor to freak out a lot.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #9
cyberpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
Mine (Holley TBI on a new crate engine) would start and idle for about 10-30 minutes, and then kick down to like 300rpm and try to stall out. It would also not come to a stop light and idle, it would die out.
That pretty much describes my 87 right now.

Nice truck! If I can ask (private if you like), what did you pay for parts and labor? How long have you had the truck? Daily driver? Is that a 305 or 350? I love the stock rims painted like that. If they were 15x10 I would keep mine. If I can get her running good I've got a set of 15x10 deep aluminums I'm going put in with 33x12.5 after some wheel well cutting I plan to also do.

Thanks and best of luck.