The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
nachodog2
Hell yeah!!!

one piece help

i recently lowered my truck quite a bit and want to go to a one piece driveshaft to eliminate the carrier bearing. any recommendations or pics?
Old 09-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
raycow

Re: one piece help

Wouldnt a one-piece shaft be more likely to hit the crossmember in a lowered truck? I converted my 60 from a two-piece to a one-piece and it has been trouble-free, but mine is stock height.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 09-04-2010 at 04:58 PM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
AZ66GMC
Desert Dweller

I have a 66 with a 1-peice that I just had cut to fit with the 700R4 that I just installed. It only cost me $120 to shorten it and install new u-joints. My truck is not slammed but lowered about 2.5" in the rear and the drive shaft is sitting center of the crossmember loop.

I'll post a few pics later today.

Tony

66 GMC LWB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399283
AZ66GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
WellBilt Kustoms

When I swapped rear ends in my truck and lowered it, I did tons of research about driveshafts, crossmembers, ect. If you currently have a two piece driveshaft, you might as well stick with it. I have a Long bed, and it has a one piece shaft in it, but when I swapped rear ends, I had to have it shortened. After talking with the guys at the driveline place, as long as the shaft is 70" or less, you can get by with a one piece being balanced and not create vibration on highway. To have mine shortened with new U-joints, it was just over $100.

Also, depending on the amount of drop you have, if you go from a two piece with carrier bearing shaft, to a one piece, you might have to swap out or notch your crossmember for it to clear. CPP makes a drop center crossmember that gives you extra clearance for the driveshaft to go upward for lowered trucks.

Hope this helps.
WellBilt Kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
nachodog2
Hell yeah!!!

My drop is pretty severe and I have no problem fabricating new cross members. It will have airbags and my main concern is carrier bearing failure due to the lowering. It's gonna be driven low so for me the bearing needs to go. Would a off road drive shaft with travel be a viable option?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
AZ66GMC
Desert Dweller

Here are a few pics of my driveline on my 66 LWB. It's probably not much help since it is not a low as yours, but it gives you an idea on how it is slightly lowered. My driveshaft measures 66-3/4" from end of tranny to the center of the rear u-joint.

Tony

66 GMC LWB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399283

Last edited by AZ66GMC; 09-05-2010 at 01:11 PM.
AZ66GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #7
62 Longbed

Why replace or modify something thats not broken or hurting anything ??? Unless your gonna race the truck or something ,and need the one piece driveline .. otherwise I would run as is .. Save the money .. Just my 2 cents ..
62 Longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #8
skysoldier173rd

Had one from a 1974 parkwood full size wagon lying around and it even had the right spline for my newly installed 700R4. I Had it shortented 4 3/4 inches and new ujoint put in and was good to go. One piece of course, cost $120.00 including joints and balancing at a Truck Service Company. The companies that work on big trucks usually can fix up a driveshaft for you.

www.picturetrail.com/skysoldier173rd
skysoldier173rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #9
nachodog2
Hell yeah!!!

thanx arizona and soldier. I'm gonna do the one piece, i'm not gonna race it or nuthin but like i said it will ruin the carrier bearings in the future so just to avoid the hassle one piece it is. gonna have to cut the crossmember and raise the loop and replace the under hang with flat plate. i guess that's what you gotta do to look cool and have driveability. god bless the lowered.
Attached Images