The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2010, 03:30 AM   #1
blackedoutharley
Account Suspended

This is my truck

Well I am finally getting around to "finishing" my truck (or actually starting on it again).

I have owned my '65 longbed fleetside for 20 years. In that time is has evolved from a stock 327 2 barrel smoker in white with horrible body work to a primered truck with horrible body work (LOL). Over the years it has had the 327 replaced with a stock 350 followed a 511 cid P&S aluminum big block (the 350 puked its guts on the freeway and it was my daily driver so I had to put the only running engine I had in it) to its current 391 cid stroked small block.

I had patched up the original 3.73 rear end, after spitting out the cross shaft (as well as all the spider gears, driveline etc) and ended up bandaiding it together for a couple of years to the point that it finally lost its guts for good. Replaced it with a complete 3.08 rear end and eventually, in a momentary lapse of thought, blew it up being stupid and trying to relive my youth thereby requiring a complete rebuild.

After replacing the carrier and gears (to my much recommended 3.42 ratio) as well as axles I no longer have to worry about it (one less thing right?).

Over the rears I have done the following:

Replaced the entire wiring with an application specific harness from Painless.
Installed and subsequently had recovered an aftermarket bench seat with a fold down center section with drink trays.
Installed a complete stereo system including amps, cd changer and sub.
Sound proofed the interior with foil covered bubble wrap and a complete carpet kit.
Helwig 1 1/8" rear sway bar and new Moog coil springs.
Front swaybar from a C-30
Recored the oem radiator to a 3 row.
140 amp 1 wire alternator.
Sliding rear window.
15"x8" American Eagle wheels and 31x10.50R15 tires (soon to be replaced).
Changed the exhaust to exit at the rear bumper and moved the mufflers to just before the rear end (this helped quiet the interior beyond belief!).
Misc maintenance items such as shocks, brakes etc...

Now the engine is getting tired and I have either broken a valve spring or something along those lines and combined with the age and miles on it feel it is time for a bit of freshening up.

The clutch linkage is showing its age and in dire need of replacement as well as taking out the custom, one off multi disc and installing a normal clutch assy.

The plans call for the following:

Rebuilding the engine including new heads (cheaper than rebuilding the old ones)
Possibly installing the blower I have.
Power steering
Tilt column
A/C
Move tank from cab to rear of truck
Rebuild front suspension
Repair or replace front fenders (the right side is good other than the normal rust but the left side is a bit wrinkled).
Chrome plating some parts (hood latch etc..)
Replace bed wood and strips.
Weatherstripping
New radiator core support
Replace or recore of radiator
New exhaust with flame throwers and Borla mufflers.
Patch drivers side floorboard (correctly)
paint interior and install new carpet kit.
Power windows (maybe)
Power Disc brakes perhaps?
New windshield (covered by insurance but can anybody recommend a good company to have this done?)
Paint exterior (what color I have not decided on yet)

I have spent the last 25+ years in drag racing and frankly I got burned out (no pun intended) on it a few years ago. I have always been into guns and I began focusing on that hobby and seriously curtailed my involvement in the racing side. I am actually an instructor through the NRA and the local club I belong to and teach CCW courses among others. Lately though I have come the realization that there are far too many F*&*&*& idiots in the gun side of things for my taste.

So now that I have been coaxed back to the drag racing (yes I will be at Sacramento Raceway for the Gov's Cup on the 25th) I am going to focus on my beloved truck!

My question is:

Should I sell some guns to fund this?

And who wants to help? (specifically with the p/s install and the bed wood.) I have abused my body for years and it is beginning to show.

LOL

Here are some poor quality shots....

My goal is to have a very well running truck that is fun to drive but that I can still use as a truck. Something that looks good and is classy yet not over the top ( I am actually thinking of two tone silver and white).

And yes those are Sears Point employee stickers on the windshield.

Last edited by blackedoutharley; 09-05-2010 at 03:45 AM.
blackedoutharley is offline   Reply With Quote