The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
will2710

question about arm rests

Hey guys, just bought a 66 Chevy SWB stepside last week. I'm ordering a few parts from LMC truck (lock set, tailgate, etc) and one thing I can't seem to find solid info on is the door arm rest. This truck has had some work on it and there are these cloth covered panel on the door. I took them off and I can see three square holes (like what would be used for carriage bolts) about where the arm rests would attach. Were arm rests a factory option? I've seen a lot of pictures here on the forums with just the door handle and the window crank. The guy I bought it from said to roll down the window (and pull on the door) to close the door and not pull on the door handle as that might break it. What do you guys do? Are the holes that I mentioned the correct ones for mounting the arm rest?

Here is the page from the LMC catalog. I'll take some pictures of the door with the cover off later (if that will help).

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/full.aspx?Page=58
will2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Re: question about arm rests

There's a 1/4 inch "Caged Nut" that snaps onto the door panel.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
ConnDemned

Correct me if I am wrong but weren't driver's side arm rests stock and passenger side were optional? Kind of like outside door locks on the pass side optional. Apparently trucks back then were not good for dates.
Posted via Mobile Device
ConnDemned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
Sillyoldman

^Yep cage nut. Most replacements are nylon square nuts.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
6863m

I read this thread and went out and looked at my 62 and I have the holes and it is obvious I need some kind of nut. If I need to buy them what are they called and is it something you can buy. I did not see anything in the LMC or Brothers catalogs.

I have used a nut plate tool and inserts on my old MG but I was a little worried about the painted surface.
6863m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:15 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Just like aerotruk63 said, they are called 'cage nuts'. You will want the ones that have 1/4"-20 threads. They won't be easy to find though, not going to find them at HD or Lowes. Do you have an industrial type fasteners supplier in your area? If not try McMaster Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#cage-nuts/=8q26jz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotruk63 View Post
There's a 1/4 inch "Caged Nut" that snaps onto the door panel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6863m View Post
I read this thread and went out and looked at my 62 and I have the holes and it is obvious I need some kind of nut. If I need to buy them what are they called and is it something you can buy. I did not see anything in the LMC or Brothers catalogs.

I have used a nut plate tool and inserts on my old MG but I was a little worried about the painted surface.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
Indian113

My local NAPA has a full stock of them, you might check out your local auto parts stores.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
6863m

The McMaster catalog showed several types. My holes are round so it would seem that the choice is the square style even though it says it is for square holes. Would it make a difference.

Sorry for seemingly dumb questions but i know my limitations.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #9
will2710

Thanks for the answer, aerotruck and everyone else. So do you guys have the armrests or just pull on the door lever?
Old 09-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #10
jocko

I guess I'm just lucky, but I have 2 armrests AND outside passenger locks... My truck has part number 38-2504 (in the link below), and they MUST be original because they sure are in crappy condition (my truck is a 66 C10). I do believe part 38-2502 is a better looking armrest personally - but I wonder which one was original(?) (anyone, anyone?)

Me, personally - I gotta have an armrest. And if I ever want to go on a date (good point Condemned), I suppose I better keep one on the pax door too...

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/full.aspx?page=58
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #11
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by will2710 View Post
Thanks for the answer, aerotruck and everyone else. So do you guys have the armrests or just pull on the door lever?
My truck is a 1960 GMC, so it appears GM changed the mounting over the years of the series as I'm almost certain mine has metal square nuts welded into the door where the arm rests mount, and this is what is shown in the 1960 shop manual. My truck was not optioned with arm rests and had none when I bought it. To add the arm rests, I inserted bolts in the mounting nuts, covered the heads with something that left a mark, and reinstalled the door panel. I pulled the panel and drilled holes where the bolts contacted the panel. It didn't take long to discover the driver side arm rest hit my elbow at a bad angle and became more painful the longer I was in the truck, so it was removed. The passenger side works fine for my wife, so that one remains.

Unfortunately I'm left to pull the door shut by the inside handle. The handle does require tightening about twice a year, but I've never had any other issues doing it this way. I did replace all of the window winders, door handle linkage and latches with NOS parts, so it may become a problem 20 years from now, but by then I probably won't care.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #12
factorystock

Two designs were used in this era, 60 thru 64 style and 65 thru 66 style.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #13
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Welcome from just down the road from you-
My '66 just has the driver's side.
If you haven't placed your order yet- you may compare prices at:

http://www.truckandcarshop.com/

Last edited by DPowers; 09-06-2010 at 10:56 PM.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:31 PM   #14
6863m

I went out and looked at mine again and because I bought junk yard doors and panels I have the holes on the passenger side but not on the drivers side. I am going to have to drill the holes so I have both sides.

The prices from the post by DPowers are cheaper than the ones I was looking at and they really look the same and we are getting Black over Black.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:40 AM   #15
will2710

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post
Welcome from just down the road from you-
Hey DP, that's cool--I'll have to come out to one of the TN Classic Truck Club events. It's a shame I just missed the one on Saturday--was there a big turnout? Can you recommend any useful junkyards in the area? One of the big things I need at the moment is a tailgate...

I haven't placed my order yet and I was debating on getting my parts from that site, though I had heard that LMC comes highly recommended. The two catalogs do look quite similar, like they are actually getting from the same suppliers.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #16
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by will2710 View Post
Hey DP, that's cool--I'll have to come out to one of the TN Classic Truck Club events. It's a shame I just missed the one on Saturday--was there a big turnout? Can you recommend any useful junkyards in the area? One of the big things I need at the moment is a tailgate...

I haven't placed my order yet and I was debating on getting my parts from that site, though I had heard that LMC comes highly recommended. The two catalogs do look quite similar, like they are actually getting from the same suppliers.
Yes you should check out TNCTC sometime- we had a good turnout at Woody's. Probably a dozen or more. PullaPart alot of times has some 60-66 trucks, but they get picked over pretty quick. There is also Sonny's up in Blaine that has alot of old good stuff. I have his phone number at home and will PM you. His yard is definitely worth the trip. I will keep my eyes open for you as well. Shades of the Past is this weekend and The Grand Rod Run next.
I have had good experience with Truck and Car shop and there prices overall in my experience are cheaper than LMC. You could also check out the site Vendor's list as well.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote