The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
Bow Tie Scottie

O.K., I have a problem - not starting

Truck was running fine just the other day, now she wont turn over. It's getting fuel so what could it be? I hope it is something minor since I am not a professional mechanic! What I've found on internet so far range from timing issue such as a timing chain to choke thermostat. BTW, it has an electric choke and choke light stays on.

86 Chevy Scottsdale C20, SBC 350, TH400, 4.10 gear ratio
Bow Tie Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
OleBlue79

Re: O.K., I have a problem - not starting

You mean the engine won't turn over or it turns over but will not start?
OleBlue79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
Bow Tie Scottie

It (engine) turns over; does not start. Voltage is at 13 amps.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
OleBlue79

Is it a carb or TBI?
Old 09-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
OleBlue79

Anyway, you need to see if it's electrical or a fuel problem. Check to see it's getting fire. If it is move on to fuel.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
Bow Tie Scottie

Stock Rochester Quadrajet that was rebuilt 2 years ago! Fuel pump and filter replaced at same time.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
OleBlue79

Pull a spark plug and place it close to a bolt on the engine and have someone roll the engine over and see if it is getting a spark.
You said it is getting fuel are you sure?
Old 09-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
OleBlue79

If it's not getting fire, the first thing to check is the power wire to your distributor. Make sure it's plugged in tight. I had a cat walking around under my hood once and pulled the wire loose.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:49 PM   #9
Adams74Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleBlue79 View Post
If it's not getting fire, the first thing to check is the power wire to your distributor. Make sure it's plugged in tight. I had a cat walking around under my hood once and pulled the wire loose.
My FIL had his 93 GMC w/ 250K miles quit going up the road because the wires, cap & rotor had been on the truck for who knows how long (maybe since new) that the wires had no way of making contact from all the corrosion on cap and rotor. Needless to say I gave it tune up and he said it ran like a new truck.
1987 V20 Custom Deluxe 350 TH400 NP208 "farm truck" getting parted out.
2016 Nissan Altima grocery getter/commuter
Adams74Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #10
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Tie Scottie View Post
It (engine) turns over; does not start. Voltage is at 13 amps.
A fully charged battery is 12.6V so it pretty much can't be 13, not to mention the amps bit.

Shoot some carb cleaner or B12 in the carb and try to start. If it fires you aren't getting gas.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #11
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

As mentioned above the next thing to check is fire....pull a spark plug and turn it over and see if you are getting a spark.

Report back.
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:49 PM   #12
Bow Tie Scottie

Update: After checking for possible fuel or electrical problems, I concluded that it was more electrical than anything. I decided to replace the battery that served its time (over 3 years) and the 24 year old battery tray needed some attention. The battery cables were still usable, so I didn't bother with them.

The tray however, became a learning experience in of itself. It was covered with scaly rust and corrosion that was vissible with battery on it. Having no rust removing tools such as an electric sander, I worked on it by hand using 80 grit, 220 grit, sanding sponge, and wire brushes. I couldn't remove all of the scales nor smooth out some of the pitted areas as well. I used Rust Fix, primer, & black spray paint. Not bad results for a beginner, but not exactly show quality, but works for me. I even used Rust Fix on the fender skirt on a few spots that actualy turned out well (minor rust).

The internet comes in handy for almost any subject esp. the site. Reinstalled the tray after wrestling with its bolts being in a tight position I managed to get it in. Researched for best battery solution for my budget and purchased a Deka 575 amp dual post 12v from Voltex. Bought batteries from them including "blims".

Yeah, I installed it. Yeah, stubbornly she crank, yet ran rough still. I had a friend to come over to look at it. He came with experience. He was able to trace wires and found some loose connections. Lo and behold, look what he found: a loose spark plug wire. My friend helped me learn more about trouble shooting metheds - check and look for everything. Volt meter showed good cranking volts and alternator showed plenty of current. Went for a ride to see how she did after all that. Still noticing carbon build-up and was recommended to use a higher gas grade or additives like Lucas Oil.

Bottom line: despite some time consuming, cost or frustrations, it sure felt good to learn and do to get successful results. Thanks y'all.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:52 PM   #13
THE "10" SILVERADO

Quote:
Update: After checking for possible fuel or electrical problems, I concluded that it was more electrical than anything. I decided to replace the battery that served its time (over 3 years) and the 24 year old battery tray needed some attention. The battery cables were still usable, so I didn't bother with them.

The tray however, became a learning experience in of itself. It was covered with scaly rust and corrosion that was vissible with battery on it. Having no rust removing tools such as an electric sander, I worked on it by hand using 80 grit, 220 grit, sanding sponge, and wire brushes. I couldn't remove all of the scales nor smooth out some of the pitted areas as well. I used Rust Fix, primer, & black spray paint. Not bad results for a beginner, but not exactly show quality, but works for me. I even used Rust Fix on the fender skirt on a few spots that actualy turned out well (minor rust).

The internet comes in handy for almost any subject esp. the site. Reinstalled the tray after wrestling with its bolts being in a tight position I managed to get it in. Researched for best battery solution for my budget and purchased a Deka 575 amp dual post 12v from Voltex. Bought batteries from them including "blims".

Yeah, I installed it. Yeah, stubbornly she crank, yet ran rough still. I had a friend to come over to look at it. He came with experience. He was able to trace wires and found some loose connections. Lo and behold, look what he found: a loose spark plug wire. My friend helped me learn more about trouble shooting metheds - check and look for everything. Volt meter showed good cranking volts and alternator showed plenty of current. Went for a ride to see how she did after all that. Still noticing carbon build-up and was recommended to use a higher gas grade or additives like Lucas Oil.

Bottom line: despite some time consuming, cost or frustrations, it sure felt good to learn and do to get successful results. Thanks y'all.

Glad it turned out fine..
Old 09-16-2010, 11:55 PM   #14
irishman999

Quote:

I hope i read this right, a loose plug wire caused your problem? I have witnessed and driven a small block chevy on 5 cylinders firing.
irishman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:28 AM   #15
fire120ball

I have personally seen a 78 chevy k10 with a 350 running with a cracked in three places or two places Crank. I will dig up the picture and post tommorrow, it sounded horrible but he ran it for like a week ha Chevy/GMC all the way

2000 Trans Am, ls1, 6 Spd http://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance...years-old.html
fire120ball is offline   Reply With Quote