The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
TDS-MN

Time to Play 'What did I screw up?'

Hey All,

Yup, the title of the post is accurate. I've got a problem, which I DIDN'T have prior to working on the old truck. Hoping that someone here might have an idea of where I went wrong. If you choose to respond with "A friend told me. . . " That's fine!

To set the stage, I had loosened my steering column to replace what I thought was a bad ignition switch. removed the bracket that holds the column to the dash, and all of the bolts at the inside of the firewall where that plate attaches. Never did completely remove the column, even though my 'trusty' Haynes manual suggested it for the ignition switch replacement.

After a couple times thru the remove and replace game, and the truck still not having any volts, A friend and I FINALLY noticed that I had a wire that had corroded/fallen off of the junction block on the firewall. So that was why I had no volts at the ignition switch. But now it does start with the key again, at least!

Anyway, the current problem, now that the truck starts, is that I cannot move the shift selector out of Park. Wondering if there could be something within the steering column that I didn't get put back together correctly? Or if it is simply the linkage where it connects just below the master cylinder? Or any other ideas you may have that I can check. Never had any issues with the shifter before this. I know there's a 'lock' for teh steering wheel, which disengages when you turn the key, but am not sure if that same method may be applied to theshift lever as well? Or did I maybe simply over-tighten something? I have been hesitant to force the lever, up until this point.

As memory serves, the only linkage between the column and transmission is that one connection point, with a cotter pin, at the top of the rods that go downto the side of the transmission.

Any ideas you can share, or experience you may have had with similar problem, would be GREATLY appreciated. I really miss driving the old truck!
'85 K-10 w/ 305, 700r4, np208, and RUST!
SOLD Dec 2014
TDS-MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
glock35ipsc
Next project: 1970 K10

Re: Time to Play 'What did I screw up?'

I won't be of much help to you as to how you would fix it, but..... I do know that the ignition will not turn if the shift lever is in a gear other than Park or Neutral, so that tells me that there is something in there that got disconnected and disassembled and did not get put back together correctly.

EDIT - I just looked at my Haynes manual, and it says something about setting the switch in the Lock position before removing the switch, and that the installation is the reverse of that...... just FYI.

1970 Chevy K10 LWB "Goldie" 350/TH350 next project!!
1981 Chevy C10 LWB 355/TH350 - My son's truck

LS SWAP FORUM! Tons of LS swap info here!
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SUPPORT THE GREATEST BOARD ON THE NET!
CLICK HERE FOR THE FAQ INDEX by KRUE

Last edited by glock35ipsc; 09-08-2010 at 05:13 PM.
glock35ipsc is offline   Reply With Quote