The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
Tyler212

Tyler Smith: My 68

About 2 years ago I bought a 1968 c10. I knew when buying the truck it was gonna take a lot of money and time. Keep in mind as I tell ya about it up until 6 months ago I was driving it as I fixed it. Its still not done and I'm not gonna go into too much detail.

I bought the truck for $350 and could have drove it home. It had a lobe wore the cam. 307, 3 on the tree. We originally rebuilt the 307 but as I said 2 years ago and now I'm still learning stuff about buildin a motor so you can guess what happened. Had an oil leak, blew the motor on the way home to change the oil.

Since then we put a $50 305 bought it stuck it in and put an intake and carb on ran it for maybe 4 months before it started knockin. Next a 305 that we pulled earlier that month out of my step dads truck cause he got a new one. Nothing was wrong when we took it out. But it didn't last 24 hours. The oil pump had for some reason stopped and it warped everything.

Next motor I bought a 74 pickup from a relative of my stepdads (how they are idk) for $500 and took the motor, tranny, and radiator. Ran it over a year. Best running motor it had. And my stupidity lost it. I forgot to drain the water out and put antifreeze in. I had just got an s10 to save on gas and hopefully get a little more work done to the truck if I didn't have to drive it. The next was a motor we slapped together outta spare parts literally. the heads of the 74 the block and bottem end was an 88's that needed bored over or at least new rings bad. But it ran good enough.

Finally I saved up some money I bought a reman'd motor for right at $1000(only reason I did instead of tryin to build one was that it come with a 6 month warrenty) but the guy fell through and its crap. Had to buy a new set of heads cause the one's on the motor are nothing but tire chocks. And the truck's sittin in the garage waitin on my cropper 383 to be finished and dropped in.

As for transmissions it was originally a 3 speed standard. Since then I've put two different 350 turbos in it. The 2nd was supposed to have been built but I think its trash too. But it'll stay there til I get another $1000 saved for my new tranny. It's gonna have a 4L60 as soon as I get the cash.

Along the lines of suspension and whatnots. I've changed the trailing arms. And I've changed the upper and lower ball joints. In the next few days I'm going to go through the steering since I'm putting powersteering on in anyway might as well make sure all of its workin good. (the steering has alot of play in it as it is not sure if its in the linkages or the steering box.) I am also planning on putting a sway bar on it as soon as I can.

We've already done some body work but I'm going to go through it and patch some places up better. I've filled in the marker lights and am wanting to patch them up better as well as it used to have cab lights that I removed. I've replaced the original bed(it had a wood bed but was completely lost) I've got alot of pics but I'll post a few to give ya an idea. These are when I brought it home.
Attached Images

Tyler212 is offline   Reply With Quote