The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
Russell Ashley

Ignition question.

Did 58 or 59 trucks still use a foot starter, or was it changed to key start by then? My foot starter button is long gone and I want to change to a key start. I would like to find an ignition switch that looks and mounts as original.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
raycow

Re: Ignition question.

6 cyl manual transmissions had the foot starter. V-8s and all automatics started from the key switch

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
orgalmeister

Repop key start switches are available from any jobber.
Gone: 72 SB, 67 CST, 57 BBW, 47 Panel streetrod,
orgalmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I used a 58 6 cyl car starter in my truck so I would have a key stater. If you leave the pedal start its almost like a theft deterent. very few people know how to start a pedal start vechile.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #5
Russell Ashley

Thanks everyone. My truck started out as a six cylinder/three speed so would have had the floor starter.
So I can just buy a switch for a 57 V8 truck and that should be what I need.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
NW Task Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
Thanks everyone. My truck started out as a six cylinder/three speed so would have had the floor starter.
So I can just buy a switch for a 57 V8 truck and that should be what I need.
I am in the exact same boat you are. I was wondering the same thing. My 57' started life out with a 235 straight 6 and a manual 3spd. The key needed to be turned to the "run" position and then the foot starter pressed down to start. I am now doing a 283 V8 w/TH350 automatic. I have seen in restoration catalogs that 6 cylinder and V8 ignition switches are listed as different units. I assume the V8 switches were "momentary" switches that were later standard on the dashes of 1960+ newer trucks. I would like to confirm this assumption for sure and move forward with putting the correct ignition switch in. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #7
99 to Life

I would just use an aftermarket switch that has an acc option.
Here is a pic of mine, it fit right in the original hole. But I kind of had to rig up some washers behind it to make it screw tight to the dash.

They are cheap and plentiful and look good
Attached Images

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
mr48chev

You might just want to leave the stock switch if it works ok and get a push button starter switch that you hide within easy reach for you but out of sight. Just don't put it under the dash right in front of your left knee as every time I go to the tire store the guys seem to find my pushbutton there without even asking where it is. Unless my dog can actually talk and tell them where it is. But it would be a bit of a theft deterrent and it might be a bit of a safety thing if you have kids as one might be able to turn the key but he/she probably couldn't reach the push button at the same time or doesn't need to know that you have one.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
You might just want to leave the stock switch if it works ok and get a push button starter switch that you hide within easy reach for you but out of sight. Just don't put it under the dash right in front of your left knee as every time I go to the tire store the guys seem to find my pushbutton there without even asking where it is. Unless my dog can actually talk and tell them where it is. But it would be a bit of a theft deterrent and it might be a bit of a safety thing if you have kids as one might be able to turn the key but he/she probably couldn't reach the push button at the same time or doesn't need to know that you have one.
That's pretty much the setup that my truck has now. It has a button under the dash to the right of the switch that is only powered when the switch is on, so it won't turn the engine unless the ignition is on.
I bought a 59 switch off of EBay but still have to get a correct cylinder for it. The cylinder in my old switch has a stop that prevents it from being turned to the start position when it's in the 59 switch.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:16 AM   #10
NW Task Force

I think I'll just purchase a new 55-59 "V8" equipped ignition switch. I believe they run between $35.-$40. bucks.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #11
Russell Ashley

"I think I'll just purchase a new 55-59 "V8" equipped ignition switch. I believe they run between $35.-$40. bucks."

Anyone can buy new stuff, that's too easy, LOL. Actually, the cost of a new switch with the cylinder is more like $60 with shipping. A new cylinder is $10 at BowTie Bits so next time I order stuff I'll get one.