The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2010, 12:48 AM   #1
montefreak

dropping my 67

I have a friend who lowered his 72 with 2 1/2" springs all around..and without changing shocks....is this ok to do???? i am wanting to lower my 67 with little cost involved but i refuse to cut or alter my springs.....please let me know what you think....also...can i just change my springs in the front and use lowering blocks in the back????thank you all..
montefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: dropping my 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by montefreak View Post
I have a friend who lowered his 72 with 2 1/2" springs all around..and without changing shocks....is this ok to do???? i am wanting to lower my 67 with little cost involved but i refuse to cut or alter my springs.....please let me know what you think....also...can i just change my springs in the front and use lowering blocks in the back????
You are contradicting yourself here. You say you want to do it cheap, but don't want to cut your front springs. If it were me, I would cut the front coils and use that money saved for new shocks. You might get by with out them, but I would change the shocks anyway.

The best method is new springs and new shocks. If you can't afford that, there is no reason why you can't cut the front coil until you can afoord to do it right. Cut is fine, heating is bad.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
SCOTI

^^ Cutting in moderation is fine. One coil yeilds 2-3" of drop; don't go beyond that amount.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
brans72

What about a 67 using Jeep spring in the back with new shocks is that possible on a tight budget?
brans72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:09 AM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by brans72 View Post
What about a 67 using Jeep spring in the back with new shocks is that possible on a tight budget?
Define tight budget? Depending on how the drop is done, OE replacement shocks are more than acceptable & should fit within a 'tight' budget.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-14-2010 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:03 AM   #6
brans72

I wanna cut front spring and put TJ Jeep springs in rear with KYB springs possible without new panhard bar in rear and safe to drive?
Old 09-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
I wanna cut front spring and put TJ Jeep springs in rear with KYB springs possible without new panhard bar in rear and safe to drive?
1-coil off the front, Jeep springs in the back & KYB GR-2's would be a decent combo.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-14-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
brans72

ok sounds very do able! What about the bar in the rear can I do without till I can get a nice kit from ECE or can get the correct adjustable bar? Thanks for info Scoti
Old 09-14-2010, 11:32 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
ok sounds very do able! What about the bar in the rear can I do without till I can get a nice kit from ECE or can get the correct adjustable bar? Thanks for info Scoti
I've seen them heated & then 'bent' to re-center the rear. On my 67 (back in the day), we cut one end of the Panhard bar & shortened it to the required length. I've learned alot since then & wouldn't shorten one regardless of budget. I would just do a budget long Panhard bar & make my own mounts & such.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-15-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
brans72

I would just do a budget long Panhard bar & make my own mounts & such. Can you give some more details here please?
Old 09-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
I would just do a budget long Panhard bar & make my own mounts & such. Can you give some more details here please?
Make your own mount that attaches to the pass side truck arm & stretch the OE bar to length. Make your own long/super track bar by taking two short/OE bars & making one long bar. Cut off one end of each OE bar & then thread the ends of the bar the same size as a tie-rod sleeve. Thread the ends into a tie-rod sleeve & it can be adjusted just like a tie-rod is adjusted.

You can also just stretch the OE bar but you need to make sure the length is right before welding it up.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG