The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
tonypaul

Anybody have a 7.4L Vortec in their 67-72?

I have a low mileage motor complete with the 4l80e and Im still trying to convince myself to use it it my 68GMC swb fleet. Its big and its ulgy! Anybody put one in their truck? I would like to see what it looks like in the engine bay of a 67-72...
Thanks!
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
6772owner
Gearhead

Re: Anybody have a 7.4L Vortec in their 67-72?

I havent seen one yet, not that I have looked real hard, but I would love to see one done nicely. I think that would be a great way to get an injected BB and overdrive. You can always make it look better by eliminating all the junk you dont need (i.e. emissions crap and the ugly stock manifolds) Go for it and let us know how it goes!

Project C10 (my 72' C10 w/96' LT1, 700R4, bagged F&R, 18's (for now), Short/Fleet) -- SOLD!
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313644
6772owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
mr48chev

I'd say that the "I have" factor weighs in pretty high here. As 6772Owner said, cleaning the scabs and things you don't need in the swap off it might help the looks a lot. It sure ought to run down the road nice when you are done and I like trucks with the hoods closed at events better anyhow. Unless it is a show requirement that the hood be open for judging my hood stays closed.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
tonypaul

Im not car/truck show kind of guy, I go to them but never go to show my own cars/trucks. Its all about personal taste for me. I have always been kinda old school with chrome and everything looking clean and neat.

Its just Im still at this same crossroad that I have been in for 6 months about not deciding what powertrain I want to run and how I want to run it....

I have the complete 7.4l with the 4l80e, I just need to get the harness made and reprogram the PCM. Being a 1998 7.4l it has the black PCM (4 plug) with it. I also have this brand new 8.1l crate engine and a used "411" PCM that I got for it...But I kinda want to save the 8.1 for another project, but I could use the "411" PCM on the 7.4l and just have the harness builder make the PCM plugs for it. The 411 PCM can be tune alot more that the black box PCM. But either way in the end it will not be kind of detail I like with all the wires and such. Alot can be done on cleaning up the wires but its still not like to the way I like.

Or just take all the fuel injection off the 7.4l and get a nice polished intake and nice valve covers and detail the engine super nice and either get a controller for the 4l80e or put in a th400 that I have. In the end the engine would appear more period correct. Not that its all that important, its just a hard choice for me.... Have a nice clean chromed/polished out simple carbed engine or have this clean and ulgy engine with wires all over it....

The truck is maily going to be used for towing my drag car and boat and a weekend cruiser. Im just putting so much time and money and effort to have the firewall shaved, the frame custom painted the fenderwells painted and cut and buffed to a mirror shine, Im just affraid its the engine is going to make all that work go to waste.... Maybe Im just being a cry-baby.... I guess I will just wait it out some more and see what happens...
Old 09-13-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
6772owner
Gearhead

I dont think you're being a cry baby, with the direction it sounds like you're going, I would lean towards stripping down the 7.4li and running a carb. I think you need to keep teh old school feel with the sound of your build. Then you would have a lot less headache and $$ in it as well.

The wiring and F/I set-up can look clean as well though, just tuck all the wiring under the engine cover and run it to the back of the engine and then into the cab where it wont really be seen. This way it can stay clean and be F/I

Project C10 (my 72' C10 w/96' LT1, 700R4, bagged F&R, 18's (for now), Short/Fleet) -- SOLD!
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313644
6772owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
33shooter

Fuel injection all the way. Carbs are alright and make good power. But fuel injection is more efficient and can be just as clean. You just have to work harder at cleaning the install up.
Posted via Mobile Device
33shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
HID Solutions
Account Suspended

Here's a late model 454 that was converted back to carb in our 69

HID Solutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
tonypaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by HID Solutions View Post
Here's a late model 454 that was converted back to carb in our 69

Welcome!!! Thats really a nice setup! Give me some info on your motor!

I just got the front supension back from the media blast this morning and sprayed in epoxy this afternoon. Hopefully on friday I can get all the parts sprayed in color and cleared and put the front suspension and airbags on this weekend. So maybe by the begining of next week I will have a rolling frame and I can set the engine and trans on the frame. I think I will really be able to tell then on which direction to go...