The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2010, 11:35 PM   #1
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Build advise for a 59 fleetside

I have a 59 Fleetside Custom cab big window short bed. Its in original condition with all the SS trim cab and bed, Chrome front and rear bumpers. I've had this truck for several years now and still can't make up my mind on how to restore it. I'm torn between a complete restoration to oringinal condition or resto mod with a LSx/4l60e, IFS and some road gears. I have 5.3 and 4l60e, I also have the IFS clip that was sold by RB's obsolete, I think Kimbridge was the maker of the clip, It uses Impala parts. Cost would be about the same for either rebuild. It does need the usual rust work. I just can't make up my mind on which way to go with it. Any sugestions?
Attached Images

dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:58 PM   #2
Mr GMC

Re: Build advise for a 59 fleetside

I vote for keeping it stock, but I like my trucks stock. That would be a nice truck to stay original because it is kind of like a Cameo for 59. I just pulled the dropped axle out of 58 GMC this weekend and put a original one back in. Now I need to buy tires for the original wheels that came with the truck.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Mr GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:32 AM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr GMC View Post
That would be a nice truck to stay original because it is kind of like a Cameo for 59.
That's one reason I'm undecided, Its a truck thats not often seen with all the trim. I would keep the outside looking original but do I modernize the drive line and brakes to make it a better driver. Most of the fleets I see are shaved slammed and bagged and purple. I don't see a lot of originals
Old 09-14-2010, 12:36 AM   #4
Dan in Pasadena

Why don't you redo it in such a way that you could reverse if you later wanted to? Full cosmetic restoration with stock color, etc. but don't clip it. Personally, as much as I'd love to have a truck like this I couldn't stand to saw the frame in half. I'd put a dropped axle, power disc brakes power steering in it. Put a modern rear end ratio in it so you can freeway cruise it.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:49 AM   #5
bajabob

How about "upfitting" it with something like this ?????
Attached Images

bajabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:59 AM   #6
Mr GMC

That 58 Cameo is nice. I did the rust patch panel work on it for the guy that restored it for the owner. Here is the owner of the resto shops truck.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Mr GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:06 AM   #7
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Why don't you redo it in such a way that you could reverse if you later wanted to? Full cosmetic restoration with stock color, etc. but don't clip it. Personally, as much as I'd love to have a truck like this I couldn't stand to saw the frame in half. I'd put a dropped axle, power disc brakes power steering in it. Put a modern rear end ratio in it so you can freeway cruise it.
I think thats my point of hesitation, Cutting the front off the frame is kinda permanent. The rest is fairly easy to reverse. But I really don't like the straight axle ride.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:10 AM   #8
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Both the red one and the tan one look good stock. The tan one has 59 spears on it. Mines not a 4x4 so it wouldn't end up that tall. But the stock look is what I intend for the outside.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:15 AM   #9
bajabob

DW
If you want something a little different or rare think about it, not many of these trucks floating around ??? Anyway you go, thats a great truck to start with.

Mr GMC
I like your style and I agree with you. Restorod ??? Stock looks with something alittle different underneath ??? I did not see the Cameo in person but It looks awesome from the photos, great work.
bb
Old 09-14-2010, 01:22 AM   #10
bajabob

DW
Those are both NAPCO trucks. They were either built at the factory or "upfitted" by the dealer.

I agree with you as far as the ride is concerned on straight axle trucks, I just kinda of dig how there is not many around and they were "custom" back in the day.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:31 AM   #11
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Maybe I'll do a drop with discs and P/S and if its to ugly to drive in Houston I'll clip it.
Thanks for the input.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:45 AM   #12
Woodbutcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
I think thats my point of hesitation, Cutting the front off the frame is kinda permanent. The rest is fairly easy to reverse. But I really don't like the straight axle ride.
I wouldn't hesitate to go the resto-mod route. Old trucks have class and style that new trucks can't approach. But then new trucks have 50+ years of technological advancements on their side. New trucks ride so much nicer than the old straight axle and 4 wheel discs stop so much faster. Even clipping it with 30 year old technology is a big step up, or going with an aftermarket cross-member setup. By updating the drivetrain/suspension you'll get a smoother, safer, more comfortable ride with more power and better gas milage. And to top it off you can still have the beautiful lines of a classic truck to stare at, especially with the great combination of options your truck possesses. It is a win-win situation. It really isn't that permanent, if you think about it. Changing a frame is not that big of a deal if you changed your mind. You can build a frame while still driving the truck... but after going with the new technology and then stepping back I think you'd regret it.

It's a hard decision, but in the end you only have to please yourself, regardless what opinions the rest of us have.
Woodbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:15 AM   #13
dewey777

Hard to tell by your picture but it looks like a nice patina. If it's not all rusted out perhaps freshen up the drivetrain and leave body as is, pretty popular right now. The modern ride and mechanics make the cruise much more enjoyable.
My 2 cents.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #14
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey777 View Post
Hard to tell by your picture but it looks like a nice patina. If it's not all rusted out perhaps freshen up the drivetrain and leave body as is, pretty popular right now. The modern ride and mechanics make the cruise much more enjoyable.
My 2 cents.
The corners are shot the steps and parts of the floor. They had it outside window down and a rug on the floor so you know how that goes. The left front fender is badly bashed in. The whole truck was repainted some years ago so its not the original paint job. I took a bunch of pictures
http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.c...a/59fleetside/ if anyone wants to look close up.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #15
dewey777

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
The corners are shot the steps and parts of the floor. They had it outside window down and a rug on the floor so you know how that goes. The left front fender is badly bashed in. The whole truck was repainted some years ago so its not the original paint job. I took a bunch of pictures
http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.c...a/59fleetside/ if anyone wants to look close up.
Déjà vu - looks way too familiar

Dare i ask what that is in the glovebox???????????
Old 09-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #16
blackdiesel

It depends on what you want to do with it. Daily driver? LS and IFS. If your just going to own it. Keep it stock.... My vote (if were votin) LS it and drive the wheels off it.
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway

Last edited by blackdiesel; 09-14-2010 at 07:59 PM.
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #17
Houston54

Restore the top side and upgrade the running gear. That way you get the best of both worlds - original style and modern mechanical. That would work well here in Houston. Lets your ride stand out from the sea of Suburbans, minivans, and mid size sedans that cover our roads.

That is the basic recipe I followed on my 54 and am using for the 58 project.

There are plenty of patina (fake & real) task forces out there already. With that stainless trim your truck would look great with new paint. That current color would be a good option IMO.

It sounds like you have lots of metal work to address before the paint decision needs to be made though.
Houston54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #18
robnolimit

The only problem with the full resto built is that will drive like a restored 59 chev. Thats great if you run 50mph max, and have no traffic to deal with. If you clip it, just do it right. Tkae your time, or pay a professional to help you. Looking old and OG is cool, driving around in an ill-handling truck is not
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #19
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
The only problem with the full resto built is that will drive like a restored 59 chev. Thats great if you run 50mph max, and have no traffic to deal with. If you clip it, just do it right. Tkae your time, or pay a professional to help you. Looking old and OG is cool, driving around in an ill-handling truck is not
If you go 50 around here you get run over or off the road. So if I did a true restoration I would be left with only side road driving.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #20
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston54 View Post
Restore the top side and upgrade the running gear. That way you get the best of both worlds - original style and modern mechanical. That would work well here in Houston. Lets your ride stand out from the sea of Suburbans, minivans, and mid size sedans that cover our roads.

That is the basic recipe I followed on my 54 and am using for the 58 project.

There are plenty of patina (fake & real) task forces out there already. With that stainless trim your truck would look great with new paint. That current color would be a good option IMO.

It sounds like you have lots of metal work to address before the paint decision needs to be made though.
I think your right, I like the paint schem it has. Buff up the stainless it would look nice.

I'm not worried about the metal work, I just did a big window that needed far more that this one does.

So I think I'll leave the top side original looking, do the clip I have and the 5.3 I have. I can figure out what I want for the rear suspension and gears later. I do like the ride the truck arms on my 72 give.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #21
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey777 View Post
Déjà vu - looks way too familiar

Dare i ask what that is in the glovebox???????????
That was a huge nest for something. I was afraid to pull it all out thinking maybe the tenant might still be there. I think it was a squirrels nest from all the pecan shells I saw in the nest.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #22
samdjr74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post

I agree with Dan, upgrade it but all make changes that can be reversed. This way if you're not happy, just put it back to stock condition
samdjr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:55 PM   #23
lonelywanderer

i love that color scheme your truck is right now

i'd say go with the resto mod. classic look with modern running gear to make a sick cruiser that can ride and handle like a modern day vehicle
lonelywanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #24
poncho_villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelywanderer View Post
i love that color scheme your truck is right now

i'd say go with the resto mod. classic look with modern running gear to make a sick cruiser that can ride and handle like a modern day vehicle
My opinion exactly.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #25
raycow

Don't touch the frame rails. Find a no-weld M-II crossmember and save all the stock suspension parts you remove. The only stock part you will have to sacrifice is the steering column/box (if you cut the column) so find another one to cut before you begin the conversion.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote