The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2003, 03:15 PM   #1
Mike Culpepper
Red

Emissions testing

GERAT SITE!
I am looking to buy an older Chevy truck (selling my '89 Silverado), and am looking at either a '69 or '70. I live in Houston and have to get yearly tail pipe testing as part of the inspection process. I was wondering if any of y'all are in areas where you have to do this and if there are any problems getting these older trucks to pass the tests (without the cat. converters etc...). I would think that if your vehicle is properly tuned it should do alright, but don't know for sure.
BTW-I've learned alot about trim package I.D. just from lurking the last few days.
Thanks,
Mike
Mike Culpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 03:28 PM   #2
sam's 72

WELCOME TO THE BOARD MIKE!
I live in the Houston area, and no, you don't have to get one of these truck emmission tested, they only go back 25 years. The only requirement that I been told is that whay ever emission equipment came on the car or truck has to be on the car or truck dureing inspections, I have a 72, and go to a pretty stricked shop every year and it passes. never one time have they put my truck on the equipment to do an emission test.
Sam
Old 02-25-2003, 04:09 PM   #3
cdowns

Well here in florida NO INSPECTIONS !!!not tailpipe not safety i guess they figure we're adults and it's our responsibility to keep our vehicles up to par
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 02:43 AM   #4
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

In my part of Va we don't have emissions yet. We do have yearly inspections, but the way I have my truck regestered I don't have to mess with that anymore.

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 02:09 PM   #5
Mike Culpepper
Red

Thanks for the info, I hope Sams' 72 is right.
BTW what was the first year Chevy started putting smog pumps or other types of emissions equiptment on the trucks?
Mike
Mike Culpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 12:18 AM   #6
sam's 72

Mike,
What I told you is pretty much true about our trucks. This is for the Houston area. I just went through this also with a 87 chevy truck, it had to have emission testing. As far as smog pumps, I am not sure about that question. Seems to me that some cars or trucks that were in California had some smog stuff on them earley on. I might be wrong on this. But you are not going to have nothing to worry about with one of these trucks 67'- 72'. The only thing I am going to be concerned about is my EGR valve, I am getting ready to take my engine to the machine shop to have a 383 built, once I get it back, there will not be a EGR valve on it, and I will not have the heat riser comming from the exhaust manifold to the air breather either. If they don't pass it, then I will cross that bridge when I get there. ( $$$$ ) in someone pocket will get me a sticker.
Sam