The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
jmking9

Difference B/W 70 and 72 Doors

This might be a dumb question, but I did a search and couldn't find any answers. Other than the hole on the inside by the wing window, what is the difference between 1970 and 72 doors? Can you still use the steel door panels on a 72? And, if you can use the steel panels, do you have to use the 72 only internals? I have 72 doors that im going to use on my 70, and would like to stay away from the platic door panels if possible. Thanks
Old 09-15-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
ChevyLvr4Life

Re: Difference B/W 70 and 72 Doors

I'm not for sure, but I don't think the 72's use the upper chrome trim molding that holds the top of the steel door panels. That shouldn't be a problem to retro fit though. Also the 72 panels use those plastic push in plugs to hold the panels on, those doors probably don't have the 4 taps across the bottom like on the 70 where the steel panels use screws to attach it. But that's not something you couldn't work around either. Not sure about the taps for the armrest on the 72's, you might have to modify that too. As far as the internals I heard that the 72 window and door handle shafts are longer than the 67-71's because of the thickness of the plastic panels. I've read on here in the past where someone wanted to use 72 panels on an older model and was told to use the 72 internals. That being said I don't see why you couldn't do the opposite, put the 70 internals on the 72 doors. You may want to get both doors together and check out/measure what differences there might be. I am by no means an expert on this, just stating what I've seen and heard. Hopefully someone else will chime in and verify or correct any of this info. Good luck with your project!

1970 Chevy C10 LWB 307 3OTT 3.73 gear
ChevyLvr4Life is offline   Reply With Quote