The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
HumbleChevyBuddy

Telescoping steering column?

Is it possible to push my existing stock column further in towards the dash? I'm ok with the angle, but I just want to push it further towards the dash. I looked at the bottom of the column at the floor board and I noticed some tabs at the very bottom of the column. Is this possible?
HumbleChevyBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

Re: Telescoping steering column?

Ive done just that. you need a welder, cutt off wheel, drill, drill bit and a second column to dash bracket.... maybe even 2 plastic rivet if you feel like it. I'm 6'6" and I can sit with my arm almost strait... gained an extra 2".... didnt even have to get a percription
clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:47 AM   #3
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87chevy.com View Post
Ive done just that. you need a welder, cutt off wheel, drill, drill bit and a second column to dash bracket.... maybe even 2 plastic rivet if you feel like it. I'm 6'6" and I can sit with my arm almost strait... gained an extra 2".... didnt even have to get a percription
clint
You got any pics of that?? I'm a 6 footer myself...

great trucks, but seems that people musta been smaller and shorter in the 80's?.. IMO.. designers didn't give much for big and tall guys with these trucks....

put in a tilt column... which helped me some... but used the stock steering wheel.. might have to grab me a smaller one..

"... Being "SQUARE".. is where it's at...."

Proverbs 15:30 .... "A Cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones..."
Be exceedingly blessed today, my friends!...

Last edited by CaliDude76; 09-17-2010 at 12:50 AM.
CaliDude76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:23 AM   #4
Matt Man

crew cab fixes all your problems.
2020 Silverado Double Cab LT Z71 5.3 8 speed Daily Driver

K10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671934

The Peach build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733903

Matt Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:25 AM   #5
smupreacher

I am in the same boat. I am looking to hopefully gain 2" of room in the steering column myself. I called ididit, inc today and they recommended their 9 bolt shorty steering wheel adapter. That adapter will give you 2" more. Has anyone done that and was successful??? Are there any custom steering columns available??? I have am 87 with tilt and the windshield wiper/cruise control stem.
smupreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:43 AM   #6
c10sport

Hmmmmmmmm..........I wonder if I can make a Cadillac tilt/Tele column fit....I'm already wanting to add an airbag and steering wheel controls from a Monte Carlo though......
Old 09-17-2010, 08:23 AM   #7
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

You actually dont have to cut and weld anything. I took all the dolts that hold the column in place (under dash and under hood) and was able to push my column in considerably. Made a HUGE diffrence. I'm 6'6" and need all the room I can get. Probably why I also have a crew cab>

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
baclay9

Can one of you guys that have done this take some pics of what you did and post them up. I need some more belly room and 2" would make a huge difference.....(Thats what she said)
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:33 AM   #9
J_PEPIN87

About two years ago i went to a local swap meet and there was a guy selling steering columns and he said he had some that he had shorten like 2 or 3 inches i dont remember exactly, for like 100 bucks so im sure it is possible.
J_PEPIN87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
STOCKISH

Just loosen the bolts that hold the dash to under the dash. Then under the hood there is a strap with a bolt through it that also holds the column. Loosen that too and get in the truck and push in on your column. Mine slid right down. Very easy and well worth 15 minutes work.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:53 AM   #11
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

So it doesnt affect the shift linkages negatively?

I'm 6'2 in a regular cab with bucket seats and non tilt column so this would help a good bit. that and maybe a smaller steering wheel later on.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:30 PM   #12
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne View Post
Just loosen the bolts that hold the dash to under the dash. Then under the hood there is a strap with a bolt through it that also holds the column. Loosen that too and get in the truck and push in on your column. Mine slid right down. Very easy and well worth 15 minutes work.
Some pics of this... please?? very curious about that

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78 Chevyrado View Post
So it doesnt affect the shift linkages negatively?

I'm 6'2 in a regular cab with bucket seats and non tilt column so this would help a good bit. that and maybe a smaller steering wheel later on.
I was thinkin the same thing about the linkage.. I replaced my column with a tilt.. and can't see how the linkage would slide any...

Proverbs 15:30 .... "A Cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones..."

Last edited by CaliDude76; 09-17-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #13
CaliDude76
All About the BOWTIE

You know,.. another possibility that could save room for us big guys...(Besides a crew cab..lol).. is getting a bench seat with thinner foam padding...

I noticed (my bench anyway),.. that it has thick padding on the back part, and the seat part... I've seen some that weren't so thick.

Like maybe a bench from like a 90's Silverado.. those were a lot thinner,.. and weren't that uncomfortable...

Last edited by CaliDude76; 09-17-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #14
HumbleChevyBuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne View Post
I had another buddy tell me the exact same thing. The only thing is I shimmied myself down under the dash and noticed some tabs at the very bottom of the column that prevent it from sliding through the firewall. I also noticed a harness close to the very bottom of the column, too. I'll take some pics of this when I get home and post them up so you all can see what I'm talking about.

Could I just hammer those tabs in and move the harness? Also, did it affect your shift linkage...like others are asking?

Here are pics of what 1972SuperCheyenne is referring to about the "strap with a bolt through it that also hold the column" under the hood. It's located under the hood where the column first comes out through the firewall.
Attached Images

Last edited by HumbleChevyBuddy; 09-17-2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Added photos...
HumbleChevyBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #15
STOCKISH

That is the one under the hood I was talking about.. However, my truck has a 6.0/4l80e with a Lokar shift linkage so I was able to adjust it. But when I had the 350 and stock shift linkage I was able to tweak it just a tiny bit and get it to work perfectly.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #16
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10sport View Post
Hmmmmmmmm..........I wonder if I can make a Cadillac tilt/Tele column fit....I'm already wanting to add an airbag and steering wheel controls from a Monte Carlo though......
The Knuckle and housings from one of the 84 ish front wheel drive caddys would most likely bolt on. All of the telescoping parts are above the plate that you have to tighten up if the tilt is wobbly. The early ones from the seventies were hard to get parts for several years ago when I had on that needed some work. Grant makes an adapter for a wheel. Corvette parts would probably work but they come with a premium price. Jay
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #17
87chevy.com

you can loosen the 2 bolts on the firewall/engine bay side, loosen up the 2 bolts holding the column to the support bracket and slide it maybe.... maybe 1" and then the park/neutral switch on the lower portion of the column will hit the firewall (interior side).
ah, I still have the pictures, excellent..

I didnt take a picture of the stock column, but I'm sure you can imagine it... anyway, you have the park neutral switch toward the lower end of the column, you also have a notch in the inner tube aswell. see pictures.

you have to make the square hole on the inner tube before welding the outer pieces together or you will have no park neutral switch....

as far as the intermediate shaft.... put that sucker on the wire wheel and you will see the glue filled holes (2). Take a drill bit and drill it out.. super easy to drill since its glue. Now you can adjust its length shorter. make your new marks and trim if desired to retain stock like length on the inner shaft. DO NOT PUT BOLTS to hold the 2 shafts together, you can use plastic rivets... or fill it in with some hard glue. it needs to break easily if you get in a nasty accident. obviously.
anyway thats what I did and it worked for me.

clint

Last edited by 87chevy.com; 09-17-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #18
c10sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Port Jimmy 6 View Post
The Knuckle and housings from one of the 84 ish front wheel drive caddys would most likely bolt on. All of the telescoping parts are above the plate that you have to tighten up if the tilt is wobbly. The early ones from the seventies were hard to get parts for several years ago when I had on that needed some work. Grant makes an adapter for a wheel. Corvette parts would probably work but they come with a premium price. Jay
Appreciate that Jay. I have access to an 89 Corvette for cheap parts so one of the two may work. I may end up using the steering column parts and wheel from the 'vette. Although I miss my steering wheel controls on my '94 Olds convertible.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:30 AM   #19
smupreacher

Any suggestions on where to get a smaller steering wheel? I am very hesitant on doing any cutting on the steering column.
smupreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:36 AM   #20
87chevy.com

well there are perks of having a smaller steering wheel ya know.. you can drive your car with hand cuffs on .. lol

clint

Old 04-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #21
Bigru

Does anyone have any updates on how this is being done?
Bigru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:08 AM   #22
87chevy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigru View Post
Does anyone have any updates on how this is being done?
I had a step by step picture how to.. ? Can't see the pictures?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 04-11-2013, 01:26 AM   #23
KrazyRay

I've seen a 78 Caddy telescopic column work in a truck and I saw a 68 Caddy telescopic in a 72 Chevy truck. Its amazing how well you can cross breed GM parts.
KrazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:18 AM   #24
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I have used several different smaller steering wheels in my time, but found that the aftermarket billet wheels suchbas the Lecarra brand is the best to mount and takes the least amount of pain to accomplish. Many of the cheaper ones tend to install in a complicated fashion and some of them have a foam outer wheel ring that deteriorates soon after you start using it. I buy mine through Yogi's Street Rod parts.

As for pushing the steering column into the floor further, you can loosen the two bolts on the clamp at the firewall, loosen the two nuts on the dash bracket and pushin this will gain some more room. If you want to go further, the part that runs up into the column from the steering box will have to be modified some to get it to go down further, and you will have to look at your bolts under the dsh to let the column slide further. As for the shift llinkage, it will move with the column, you may have to loosen the setscrew on the shift linkage rod and move it slightly, but I doubt it. That screw is down low in front of the firewall and is easy to get to. You may also have to adjust the string clip for the tranny indicator needle. it is just a slide on pinch clip and that should be easy.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #25
c10sport

Well, I did do the tilt/tele mod to my S10 Blazer and will do it to my 1989 GMC Sierra as I love it!

I will be having the 'Vette wheel recovered next year.

From the pivot pins down is S10, pivot pins up is Cadillac Deville and a Corvette steering wheel with an S10 horn button to make it look all factory original. Cost: $45. $10 for the wheel with horn cap and $35 for the column.

Last edited by c10sport; 10-15-2013 at 01:18 AM.
c10sport is offline   Reply With Quote