The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2010, 08:49 PM   #1
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

59 Chevy Fleetside LSx build

After some good ideas from the people here on this board I have decided that the build result will be mostly original on the top side and mostly late model on the underside. I知 starting with a very complete 59 fleet side with the stainless bed trim, big window custom cab. It has chrome front and rear bumpers and chrome grille. The bed is in really good shape as is the SS trim and ends. The paint will be the original Tartan Turquoise, not sure if I知 going to do any white on it yet but paint is way down the road.

I have a 5.3 with a 4l60e I知 in the middle of rebuilding. I bought it as a 5.3 with 60,000 on it. Turns out it was a 4.8 with 225,000 on it and the bad Castech heads that were cracked. At that mileage I decided to do a rebuild. I needed new pistons and crank so I went with a 5.3 crank, rods and a set of flat tops for a 04 so I could get the floating pins. The cam is out of a LS1 and only slightly bigger than the 5.3 stock cam. I also got a good set of 04 5.3 heads. I wanted a relatively stock motor so it would be a good driver with good mpg.

The front clip I am using was the RB痴 Obsolete clip that uses A or G body suspension parts. I picked up the clip from a guy that didn稚 complete his father son build for $300. The price was right so I went with it.

For the rear I知 going with a 12 bolt truck rear with Torino housing ends to eliminate the C clips. With this setup I can use 98 Explorer disc brakes and have the integral parking brake. It makes for a sweet setup that looks like it belongs there. Not sure if I知 going with a 4 bar and bags or leaf springs but that痴 a ways off.

I知 going to start with the clip while the sheet metal is still all on the truck and the door and fender gaps are good. I値l post pics as I go.

Here are some of the current picture and one of what I would like the result to be like. Not real crazy about all that white so that may not happen
Attached Images

dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Re: 59 Chevy Fleetside LSx build

That is going to be really cool.

My F.B. project page.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #3
LEEVON

That's a great find, like where you're going with it. For what it's worth I think the stock paint scheme is perfect, wouldn't change it a bit.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
JML55

Good luck with the project.
55 Belair
99 S10

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316140
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=806011
JML55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:23 AM   #5
bobinbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
That's a great find, like where you're going with it. For what it's worth I think the stock paint scheme is perfect, wouldn't change it a bit.
x2

Sure would like to find one of those RB's clips, I'll be subscribing to this one...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:28 AM   #6
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

A company called kimbridge made them for RB's from what I was told.
http://www.kimbridgeent.com/index.htm The clip can use S10 suspension parts as well as A or G body. So it will be easy to find arms and other items at a cheap price.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:34 AM   #7
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Love the look of the short Fleetside! Keep the pics coming and good luck!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #8
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

The steering is off, trucks on jacks and here are some pictures of the frame and clip. The steering, radiator and motor mounts are already on the new clip. The red lines mark where the clip bolts and where the frame gets cut. This week I'll remove the bumper and brackets, get the front supported and remove the old frame rails.
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2010, 01:04 AM   #9
bobinbc

Boy, when you make up your mind you don't waste any time! What is the chassis for with the big block in it?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinbc View Post
Boy, when you make up your mind you don't waste any time! What is the chassis for with the big block in it?
Thats for a 58 I have. The chassis is bagged with a 72 C10 front end with a power rack, 12 bolt narrowed rear 373's with Explorer rear discs and hydroboost. I'm waiting on a cab for it. I made a deal to fix a big window for a guy in exchange for his a real nice small window. The big window is almost done and the rest of the sheet metal is done just needs final sanding and paint. Heres a picture before the rack install.
Attached Images

Last edited by dwcsr; 09-20-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #11
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

After a little research I found that S10 front end parts interchange with G Body suspension parts that fit my subframe and by using spindles from a 98 up 2x4 S10 Blazer I can adapt C5 Corvette 12.8" front brakes. It looks to be a fairly inexpensive upgrade. So I now have the brakes figured out.

Last edited by dwcsr; 09-22-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:16 PM   #12
Fat Mike

What year of corvette would you get c5 brakes off of and do you have to change the bearings?
Fat Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #13
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Mike View Post
What year of corvette would you get c5 brakes off of and do you have to change the bearings?
Not sure what exact year but C5 was 97-04. Here is the article I found
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...w-drawing.html

They talk about using later vette brakes but I think they would be a bit pricey
Old 09-29-2010, 10:35 PM   #14
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Well the ADD kicked in and this fell off a trailer and landed in my shop. I have to remove the small window cab and put the big window cab on and get it ready for paint. The big window was the cab we replace the roof, firewall, left side pillars, front and back, left corner from the window down and the usual rocker, hinge pocket replacements.

I also have been gathering parts for the 5.3L thats going in the Fleetside. I decided to go with flat tops and a cam from an LS1 just to get a little more out of it. The heads are done, the block is getting the pistons fitted and the rotaing assembly balanced. By the end of the week I hope to have the front clip out of the Fleetside and the new clip mocked up.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2010, 02:02 AM   #15
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I have a short update. After buying what I thought was the correct suspension parts I find that I got not only the wrong ones but rusty junk from the northeast. I should have known better that to buy 12 year old parts from the rust/salt states having lived there for so long. I was able to get the A arms, spindles, backing plates and the caliper brackets for a 2000 Blazer S10 2 door 2 wheel drive from Nevada so they should be in better shape. Tomorrow I will have the old clip out and the new G body clip mocked up with pictures.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #16
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I've had absolutely no time to do any mechanical work on this. Seems my customers know exactly when I have a wrench in my hand and start walking toward the truck. I could lay in bed for a week and no one would call until I have something to do on this.

I have collected most of the correct suspension parts. I got them from a guy in NV whos knowlegable on the S10 and G body parts interchange. He go me some nice G Body upper and lower A frames and S10 2wd front spindles. Getting closer to having all the parts for the 5.3L, I need to have the trans rebuilt and find a rear end. So maybe I can get time tomorrow or Friday to get that front clip out and the other set in place.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #17
Rafael505

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
After some good ideas from the people here on this board I have decided that the build result will be mostly original on the top side and mostly late model on the underside. I知 starting with a very complete 59 fleet side with the stainless bed trim, big window custom cab. It has chrome front and rear bumpers and chrome grille. The bed is in really good shape as is the SS trim and ends. The paint will be the original Tartan Turquoise, not sure if I知 going to do any white on it yet but paint is way down the road.

I have a 5.3 with a 4l60e I知 in the middle of rebuilding. I bought it as a 5.3 with 60,000 on it. Turns out it was a 4.8 with 225,000 on it and the bad Castech heads that were cracked. At that mileage I decided to do a rebuild. I needed new pistons and crank so I went with a 5.3 crank, rods and a set of flat tops for a 04 so I could get the floating pins. The cam is out of a LS1 and only slightly bigger than the 5.3 stock cam. I also got a good set of 04 5.3 heads. I wanted a relatively stock motor so it would be a good driver with good mpg.

The front clip I am using was the RB痴 Obsolete clip that uses A or G body suspension parts. I picked up the clip from a guy that didn稚 complete his father son build for $300. The price was right so I went with it.

For the rear I知 going with a 12 bolt truck rear with Torino housing ends to eliminate the C clips. With this setup I can use 98 Explorer disc brakes and have the integral parking brake. It makes for a sweet setup that looks like it belongs there. Not sure if I知 going with a 4 bar and bags or leaf springs but that痴 a ways off.

I知 going to start with the clip while the sheet metal is still all on the truck and the door and fender gaps are good. I値l post pics as I go.

Here are some of the current picture and one of what I would like the result to be like. Not real crazy about all that white so that may not happen
I was wonder, where do u find the chrome trim for the side of the bed

63 chevy c-10
67 chevy c-10
71 chevy Blazer 4x4
Rafael505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #18
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

The trim is very hard to find. It was produced only for the 59's
Old 11-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #19
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I have collected enough parts to start the setup and fit parts to the clip. They are 2001 S10 Blazer 2dr 2WD spindles with G body upper and lower A arms. With this I'll be able to get a center line on the front axle.

I would advise getting these parts locally if possible, I paid $85 just for shipping by UPS, upper and lower arms, spindles and backing plates. They are heavy but thats still alot for shipping.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2011, 12:08 AM   #20
poncho_villa

I know this is an old thread but, anything new?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:46 PM   #21
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho_villa View Post
I know this is an old thread but, anything new?
As usual I got side tracked onto other things. I did manage to get the 4.8 converted into a 5.3 and just finished the rebuild so thats done. I have collected more parts for the suspension and very near being able to lop off the old clip and put on the new. Once I start that process I'll post some pictures. I have a Firebird 9 bolt for it and need to get the 4l60e rebuilt. Still looking around for some C5 front calipers and rotors.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #22
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

A little update. The motor is just about done. I used a 6.0 manifold to get rid of the egr. I de-boned the harness and just need to make the wires long enough to reach the pcm mount point and go into the cab. I'm going to wait on that til I get it set into the chassis. I picked up the hub catridges for the S10 spindles. So its small steps but still moving.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #23
Wheelie

Excited to see the progress.
Wheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #24
BShort

Any updates? I have been seriously thinking about purchasing the Kimbridge front clip for my truck and was curious how well it all fits.
BShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #25
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

This one is on the work board again. Just to update everyone it was sold this month because I have far to many paying projects to do my own and I couldn't see it just sitting in the shop collecting dust and rusting further. The cool thing is the buyer wants me to build it for him so the scope will change a bit to a pro touring truck but the above will still be the front clip and we will do truck arms in the back. Not sure on motor or trans yet but I do have a 5.3 rebuilt 4l65E that was going into it so it may still. First thing is get it disassembled and media blasted so I can see what it really looks like. I'll post pictures when it comes back.
Attached Images