The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2003, 12:03 AM   #1
Spicekitty2000

Heater Cores?

I own a Chevy S-10 4 x 4. (Original owner) Last March my heater core blew. Took it to the local chevy dealer. He replaced it. But today makes 6th trip back, since then, to service department to have it replaced. Service department manager has assured me that they have checked out everything, (including electrolosis, and blown head gasket) but the damn thing keeps blowing. Last trip was on 2-6 this year. They are convinced it is a bad batch of heater cores. Any suggestions or ideas? I am not inclined to replace it myself, but am tired of the inconvenience this is causing. (I also hate to freeze my butt off when I bypass it, in order to drive it to the dealer) Thanks for any ideas you might throw my way.
Spicekitty2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 10:12 AM   #2
Bhull2

Have you checked for electrolisis yourself, with a DVOM? Maybe you should flush your coolant anyway. You can also put restrictors inline in the coolant hose to restrict flow to the core, in case ressure is a concern. And if electrolisis is the concern (which only makes sense after 6!) you can run a wier from inside the hose, to the negative terminal of the battery, or a good ground, and see if it still occurs. We recommend that here at F*&d. I would flush the coolant firt though. What year is your S10, any modifications?
Bhull2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 10:28 AM   #3
Spicekitty2000

thanks

thank you for the info. they ran a ground last time, and ran a second ground this time. I am not super car/truck savvy, i can do some minor stuff, or with clear direction can do stuff that is more complicated myself, but am not inclined to work on my truck. my fiance has been hesitant to do anything himself, he is a ford man himself. Can do everything and anything to a ford, but doesn't know chevys. I trust my chevy guys. use to coach baseball with the department manager so I don't feel that he is steering me wrong. Have also called another chevy shop this last time around and they have told me all the same stuff to look for. I guess we will see if this core takes. It is pretty frustrating, and i am a real baby when it comes to being cold. Will make sure that everything you have suggested has been done though. Thanks again.
Old 02-26-2003, 10:31 AM   #4
Spicekitty2000

p.s. the truck is factory stock. no modifications, not even a non factory installed cd player or anything like that. we already checked.