The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #1
Slammit

'72 Air Dam/Spoiler Installation

For what it's worth department...

I have not found many posts on front air dam/spoiler installations altho some are installed on these 67-72 trucks (maybe I looked in the wrong places?).

Here is what a 1994 Chevrolet truck (aftermarket) air dam looks like installed. These air dams are the same for several years in the '90's - so it does not have to be 1994 specific. The best point of all is that these aftermarket air dams are only 28 bucks shipped! There is one even cheaper of less quality.
That is cheap for a nice effect!

Pushing the new air dam all the way forward we marked the frame and the air dam for new holes. We drilled one hole in each frame rail, one hole in each fender for the LH/RH outer attach points. (Square cutouts are already in the fenders for use with clipnuts). Then for extra strength you can add small "L" brackets to the angled bumper supports for a total of 6 attach points. Even with 4 points spread equally provides a very sturdy fit. The 'clipnuts' were used for ease of installation and fewer parts, along with larger washers to prevent any cracking under normal conditions. If you want detailed pics of these points let me know. It was super easy with nice visual results.
One more point - the amazing coincidental fit places the outer aft edge of the air dam perfectly in line with the forward edge of the wheel well. See pics ( thought I had a side pic but I don't). It looks like the air dam was made for these trucks!
Hope this is not posted in the wrong area....
Attached Images

Slammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
'72customdeluxe

Re: '72 Air Dam/Spoiler Installation

"That is cheap for a nice effect!" purely visual so far, or better highway mileage?
Old 09-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

thats sweet how tall is it??? I have one on my truck and have gotten tons of ??'s on it...mine came from a 2004 F250 ..mounted it very simlarly to the way you did,,,,I wanted that low look I think this would almost allow me to lay it out n the ground??

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #4
Slammit

Quote:
Originally Posted by '72customdeluxe View Post
"That is cheap for a nice effect!" purely visual so far, or better highway mileage?

haahaahaa thats what my 16 year old son said! I told him better mileage would be hard to evaluate due to the air dam alone. But I suspect there is some gain - however minimal!!
Old 09-25-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
Slammit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
thats sweet how tall is it??? I have one on my truck and have gotten tons of ??'s on it...mine came from a 2004 F250 ..mounted it very simlarly to the way you did,,,,I wanted that low look I think this would almost allow me to lay it out n the ground??
Ya Hottrucks - I think I inquired about your dam before I bought this one. Thought i'd take a $28 chance and see if a Chevy aftermarket replacement part could be made to fit. It fit far easier and better than I anticipated!

It is exactly 5 inches tall.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
'72customdeluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammit View Post
haahaahaa thats what my 16 year old son said! I told him better mileage would be hard to evaluate due to the air dam alone. But I suspect there is some gain - however minimal!!
yep, this may not be major when the truck is less aerodynamic than a wall (front end slanted forward) for those interested, there is a guy on ebay that makes a steel muscle car style chin spoiler for c10's. *thread jack over*
Old 09-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
bonnieclyde100

Quote:
Ya Hottrucks - I think I inquired about your dam before I bought this one. Thought i'd take a $28 chance and see if a Chevy aftermarket replacement part could be made to fit. It fit far easier and better than I anticipated!

It is exactly 5 inches tall.
do you have any pictures of how you attached the air dam?
bonnieclyde100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:24 PM   #8
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: '72 Air Dam/Spoiler Installation

Had mine now for 20+ years. mine blends into the bumper though and is hard to see.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:26 PM   #9
bonnieclyde100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Had mine now for 20+ years. mine blends into the bumper though and is hard to see.

i did mine that way but am having trouble with attaching to fender and having it look right with a snug fit. do you have a pic of how you did that?
bonnieclyde100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:51 PM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: '72 Air Dam/Spoiler Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnieclyde100 View Post
i did mine that way but am having trouble with attaching to fender and having it look right with a snug fit. do you have a pic of how you did that?
I don't have any pictures but I made a bracket out of aluminum and drill the bumper bracket on each side and hooked it to it then to the spoiler. This way when I hit curbs with it it has some give.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:20 AM   #11
mechanicalman

Looks nice, but needs wood-grain LOL

But seriously, thanks for this post: I'm junking out a 92 C1500 that has an air dam and I have a 72 that needs one.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:24 AM   #12
mechanicalman

General comment: I think those are all great looking air dams, not sure of what kind of function they have but for sure look great.

A functional air dam, for me, would be one about the width of the outside of the frame, directly beneath the radiator core support and the function would be to draw air through the radiator by creating a low pressure area. However, IMO, the front frame cross-member inhibits airflow through the radiator and I think a functional air dam would mean a different front frame cross-member.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:15 AM   #13
hugger6933

The original function of this air dam on the truck was to help push air into the radiator to aid in cooling. Without it I've seen the trucks run as much as ten degrees hotter without them installed. I'm in a farm town where I am and most here didn't understand that purpose and would pull off in a ditch to back up and break them off instead of take them off. I had several come to me wanting them off until I told them what they were used for then they left them on until they broke them. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #14
MoFormula

Quote:
For what it's worth department...

I have not found many posts on front air dam/spoiler installations altho some are installed on these 67-72 trucks (maybe I looked in the wrong places?).

Here is what a 1994 Chevrolet truck (aftermarket) air dam looks like installed. These air dams are the same for several years in the '90's - so it does not have to be 1994 specific. The best point of all is that these aftermarket air dams are only 28 bucks shipped! There is one even cheaper of less quality.
That is cheap for a nice effect!

Pushing the new air dam all the way forward we marked the frame and the air dam for new holes. We drilled one hole in each frame rail, one hole in each fender for the LH/RH outer attach points. (Square cutouts are already in the fenders for use with clipnuts). Then for extra strength you can add small "L" brackets to the angled bumper supports for a total of 6 attach points. Even with 4 points spread equally provides a very sturdy fit. The 'clipnuts' were used for ease of installation and fewer parts, along with larger washers to prevent any cracking under normal conditions. If you want detailed pics of these points let me know. It was super easy with nice visual results.
One more point - the amazing coincidental fit places the outer aft edge of the air dam perfectly in line with the forward edge of the wheel well. See pics ( thought I had a side pic but I don't). It looks like the air dam was made for these trucks!
Hope this is not posted in the wrong area....
I love the fit of yours. Where did your purchase or what brand is it?
MoFormula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #15
Slammit

Well - thanks!

It fits like it is factory from 1972...The fit was a nice treat considering a 1994 part on a 1972 truck. I just knew I'd try to make it fit regardless. lol
The air dam is aftermarket GM. Do an online search for '1994 GM C1500 Valance Panel' and you will see major online parts stores carrying it (just did a search to prove this).
Decide if you want slots in your air dam for foglights or not...but these are so cheap its hard not to upgrade the look of your truck regardless of "functional" attributes (or not).

BonnieClyde100 - The installation is super easy if you read my original post. Align it on centerline of frame rails as far forward as possible - hold up with vise grips or clamps and mark upper dam lip and lower frame rails for one hole each rail. Also align outer attach points as desired making sure aft edge of air dam matches wheel well openings.
There may even be square slots in factory fenders for nuts if you're lucky. Use large washers to spread load on pvc air dam to gain longer life of air dam.
Pretty straight forward....and you even get to lay down on the job for this installation. LOL!
Anyway - mine is held on with 4 attach points and is very strong even with wind loads at 70-100mph. Shows no sign of weakening to this day.

Holler if you need more help...

Last edited by Slammit; 09-24-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Edited year to 1994 from 1996
Old 09-25-2014, 08:43 AM   #16
Custom 68

That is a neat upgrade and look changer guys.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:42 AM   #17
JMC1965

I like this look....does anybody have updated pics of the "air dam" or 'lower valance" ?
  • 4L60e / 4 wheel disc brakes
  • 20" American Racing VN327 & 245/50/20 Michelin
JMC1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:01 AM   #18
lovemy71s

I like it