The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
Gary66

Headliner...

ok, so my headliner was drooping a little, next thing i know i cut off the fabric.... so , where do i get a new headliner, either material or take the old one out??? anyone got a link on how this is done, or who has them?
Gary66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
tucsonjwt

Re: Headliner...

Classic parts, LMC, and other retailers online have them. If you have foam intact under the fabric I would have a local upholsterer recover it - should be cheaper, and they can recover them quickly - even replace the foam if necessary. I had mine done locally for about $45 I think. Mine was the all foam type, not cardboard, and the whole thing was flexible. I got fabric color to match the new color I put on the door panels and dash cap. Try to save your backing material because the complete new ones are around $200. If you want just the fabric, you can google headliner fabric and find some places, but likely your local upholsterer can get the same material or better faster and cheaper.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
nbpro
Account Suspended

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3846569 may help may not

Last edited by nbpro; 09-26-2010 at 07:10 PM.
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Most upholstery shops have the material and if nothing else go to a material supply store that most women go to to get clothing patterns and such. The material is a foam backed fuzzy cloth that can be glued to the old fiberglass headliner form. Take the old headliner out and brush the old material off. Exposing the fiberglass material. Get a couple quarts of "Weldwood" contact cement and either brush it on or do as I do and get a cheapo standard paint gun from Harbor Freight or some place like Wal-Mort. (Get one with the container on the bottom, not a HVLP model) open the spray nozzle to a max heavy spray pattern and go for it. It will come out in a stringy, loopy pattern, but that is ok, just don't overdo it in any one place. Either case you CANNOT waste time and get glue on the fiberglass piece as well as the material back. Apply the two together and roll out with a roller or your hand. Install after trimming and it is done.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
nbpro
Account Suspended

3M hi-tack spray is what I would recommend. After getting the fiberglass headliner out, the old material scraped off, I would lay my material of my choice (Make sure material is thick enough that your glue won't bleed through. In other words, a good backing.headliner fabric ) over the fiberglass board, cut to fit, leaving approx a half inch, all the way around. (fold edges over when done) Fold back in the center, spraying both sides of the material and fiberglass board. Fold it back, rub down all wrinkles, then same process to the other side. If you try to do the whole thing at once, it will dry on you before you get it properly positioned. Do it half at a time, it's much easier that way. As far as taking the old one out, it's just a couple of panels around the headliner itself. May have to take your seatbelt bracket loose, depending on the model. May have to take the headliner out at an angle. This is done by lowering your front edge and maneuvering the headliner so you can get it out of the door. It is flexible, but don't bend it too far. This isn't anything that is extremely difficult to do. Just take your time, and I'm sure you can do it. I was doing these when I was 15 or 16 working at an upholstery shop.

Last edited by nbpro; 09-26-2010 at 08:10 PM.
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote