The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
THE "10" SILVERADO

What paint do you use?

Hello, I took out my factory pillar molding that are tan and I want to paint them black like the rest of my interior is going to be......so my question is there a special type of spray paint used for vehicle interiors and can it be used on metal like the front of my ash tray and glove box (and the rest of the metal dash parts)....it would also be helpful if you have pictures of what you have done with it (if you can)
Thanks!
Old 09-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
nbpro
Account Suspended

Re: What paint do you use?

First thing I'd do is clean it very good, then spray adhesive polymer. Duplicolor has some. And I've used appliance epoxy, this stuff gets really hard. The only problem with it is it just comes in three colors. black is one tho But it's pretty good, has a great gloss to it. But the reason for the polymer is in case you have any plastic pieces that need to be painted as well, and just for all around better adhesion. Sorry I have no pics at the moment.

Last edited by nbpro; 09-26-2010 at 09:55 PM.
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

I like SEM color coat on interior parts. Jay
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
benoit454
Chris

clean it or wipe it off with grease and wax remover, wipe on with one rag wipe off with another clean rag.

Then if it's hard plastic I use krylon fusion spray paint, it's made for plastic and doesn't require an adhesion promoter, but might not hurt, I just don't use it, never had any problems.

If it's more of a soft plastic and very flexible or if it's vinyl or fabric I use duplicolor or sem vinyl/fabric dye works great, same way wipe it down with the grease and wax remover and spray it. I could never get that stuff to work or stay stuck to hard plastic like seat belt buckles, it would always flake off on me, duplicolor or sem, sem was the worst for it. Maybe the promoter would have helped on them. I used sem on a dash cover, molded platic on dad's 84, still looks perfect, no flakes cracks chips scratches anything and it's been in and out of the truck a couple times. I just wiped it down as mentioned and no promoter and worked great.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
nbpro
Account Suspended

I don't think he was necessarily speaking of plastic. I think his parts were metal, if I read his post right. I just mentioned plastic in case there was some. I always use adhesive polymers when changing colors... it acts as an a primer. as well grease and wax remover is a good idea. But I have achieved the same results using Dawn dishwashing liquid followed by rubbing alcohol. Also when I've used the Krylon Fusion for plastics, it didn't matter how I prepped, there was trouble with it sticking properly unless I used an adhesive polymer.
duplicolor or sem vinyl/fabric dye note it's for vinyl/fabric not plastic lol

Last edited by nbpro; 09-26-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:11 PM   #6
benoit454
Chris

really? I never had a problem with the krylon sticking without promoter or anything. I painted my fourwheeler twice with it, once red, then switched to yellow, painted alot of the interior of the monte carlo I had with it, all the hard plastic stuff, and did alot in my truck and dad's truck with it. yea but sem says it's good for plastics too and that's all that anyone on the net recomends for interiors but it doesn't work for me on hard plastic stuff lol.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:18 PM   #7
THE "10" SILVERADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbpro View Post
I don't think he was necessarily speaking of plastic. I think his parts were metal, if I read his post right. I just mentioned plastic in case there was some. I always use adhesive polymers when changing colors... it acts as an a primer. as well grease and wax remover is a good idea. But I have achieved the same results using Dawn dishwashing liquid followed by rubbing alcohol. Also when I've used the Krylon Fusion for plastics, it didn't matter how I prepped, there was trouble with it sticking properly unless I used an adhesive polymer.
duplicolor or sem vinyl/fabric dye note it's for vinyl/fabric not plastic lol
I am talking about both...I just stated more of the metal stuff....here are some pictures of the things I'm talking about....sorry these are crappy pics that are old before I took them off (at least the moldings). The plastic is hard plastic and the metal is...well just metal
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2010, 11:29 PM   #8
nbpro
Account Suspended

Well the metal stuff can be painted with anything you want to, as long as you prep it right. The plastics need to be something formulated for platics, unless you use an adhesive polymer. And as I've stated before, I always use it. It helps everything adhere or stick, and acts as a primer. I even have it on the outside of my truck where we had blocksanded the primer and the edges were sanded back to metal. I sprayed that on and it hasn't rusted.hood fender edges the bezel in the picture was painted with Duplicolor metalcast paint two years ago. Been sitting in the truck the whole time. Hasn't faded, chipped, cracked, peeled, etc. And it was coated with adhesive polymer before we painted it. So it doesn't have to be for plastics if you use the adhesive polymer.
Name:  HPIM0440.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  48.0 KB

Name:  HPIM0452.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  51.7 KB

Last edited by nbpro; 09-26-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:32 PM   #9
THE "10" SILVERADO

Quote:
Well the metal stuff can be painted with anything you want to, as long as you prep it right. The plastics need to be something formulated for platics, unless you use an adhesive polymer. And as I've stated before, I always use it. It helps everything adhere or stick, and acts as a primer. I even have it on the outside of my truck where we had blocksanded the primer and the edges were sanded back to metal. I sprayed that on and it hasn't rusted.hood fender edges
Attachment 637252
Thanks! Also a little off topic but how do you plan on painting your exterior? Your interior is really nice so I should expect something similar with the outside....but what color is it going to be?
Old 09-26-2010, 11:37 PM   #10
nbpro
Account Suspended

Sorry, I was editing last post a bit.lol We're planning on going two tone. The top being a brandywine kandy, with black pearl sprayed over that. The bottom will be flat black.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:39 PM   #11
THE "10" SILVERADO

Quote:
Sorry, I was editing last post a bit.lol We're planning on going two tone. The top being a brandywine kandy, with black pearl sprayed over that. The bottom will be flat black.
Is the bradywine candy the reddish color in your interior? I can't get over how good your instrument bezel looks!
Old 09-26-2010, 11:47 PM   #12
nbpro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoit454 View Post
really? I never had a problem with the krylon sticking without promoter or anything. I painted my fourwheeler twice with it, once red, then switched to yellow, painted alot of the interior of the monte carlo I had with it, all the hard plastic stuff, and did alot in my truck and dad's truck with it. yea but sem says it's good for plastics too and that's all that anyone on the net recomends for interiors but it doesn't work for me on hard plastic stuff lol.
There's a good possibility that I got ahold of a bad batch. But they were two different colors, one being maroon, and the other black. The maroon did not stick at all, and the black had chipped off in a couple of places. It could've very well been prep. I just like to use the adhesive polymer simply because it helps things stick and works as a primer. I buy it by the quarts and spray it on.

Last edited by nbpro; 09-27-2010 at 01:55 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:49 PM   #13
nbpro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE "10" SILVERADO View Post
Is the bradywine candy the reddish color in your interior? I can't get over how good your instrument bezel looks!
No, that is metalcast red by duplicolor. You have to buy the ground coat, then spray. Brandywine is similar in color, but a little deeper. And the black pearl will give it a two tone effect. See black at one angle of sunlight, and red at a other. Before everything is finished, all pieces will be sprayed with clear with black pearl in it.
Name:  0503cl_good_07_z.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  96.9 KB

Last edited by nbpro; 09-27-2010 at 02:07 AM.