The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2010, 02:04 AM   #1
Wet..Paint

My 1982 GMC "beater"

Hey guys, figured I should own up and post here since all I really do here is search for info and creep other peoples trucks haha! Here is mine, just copying and pasting from one of the local forums here. So it might be a messed up post...

Well this truck was just supposed to replace my old 79 ford beater truck that got t/l'd by a drunk driver... I bought it for a 1,000 bucks. Its a 1982 GMC 1500, had a lazy 305 in it with a 700r4. Was just gonna drive it into the ground as is. BUT that isn't really happening ha. I got money to spend and its not really staying a beater truck..

The first thing was, 3 out of 4 tires kept going flat. I had some decent 275/60r15's kicking around so I painted the 8" wide truck rally's red and threw those tires on the back. And bought the cheapest truck tire from canadian tire, I believe they are 205/60r15 for the front and threw those onto some 7" wide van rally's that I also painted red. Managed to get all the trim rings from some friends and found some "spin off" type center caps as well.

After that I came across a phantom grill for cheap, and a rollpan. Still not on since one box corner is FFFFed and it doesnt line up.

Drove it as is for a month probably, while pulling apart a 4 bolt main 350 I was gonna bore and stroke for a 383 for my 51 chevy, I realized the block was in far too good of shape to machine out. Could still see the cross hatching and it didnt have the top wear edge from the rings.. So it didnt need any machine work. So I put that motor back together with some quality rings and bearings, along with a comp 280 cam, edelbrock torquer 2 intake manifold, Carter 650 carb, and hedman headers. Tossed this motor into the truck and junked the 305. Painted the engine bay flat black while the motor was out. After I drove it the first time, realized the transmission had a nasty slip.. Pulled it apart too and fixed that, and put in a B&M stage 2 shift kit. Now its a real truck!

I drove it for probably a month with just open headers, was gonna run the exhaust myself till one day I was so sick of it being retarded loud I went down to Regina Muffler and had dual magnaflows put on, didnt like them at first but they grew on me now I love the sound.

After burning away only 1 tire haha I picked up a Detriot truetrac and a set of 4:10's for the rear end. Still haven't done this yet. I just finished dropping the front 5.5" with 2.5" drop spindles and 3" drop springs. And 5" in the rear with a flip kit. But now would like to drop another inch or 2 so im looking for some blocks.

I never took before pics of anything cause I never thought I'd do anything with it but it looks not bad now... for a beater haha I will have to get pics of the rear drop soon as well. And my next step will be to knock off some rust, patch some holes and paint it all flat black, probably with white racing stripes on the hood. I'd like to find a cowl induction hood also for it.

Other than that its just a junk truck, needs interior work and body work but who cares lol

i've also thought about taking the bumper gaurds off, if they were both in good shape id keep em, if i cant find a good one they'll come off!

i'm also suprised i havent ripped that lip off yet either! cruised down ring road tonight and there were a lot of sparks flying haha deadly!

heres how low the back sits.. what you guys think? another 1" or 2"

also ill probably have to go with shorty headers now... the full lengths are about an inch off the ground, they would probably touch if i dropped the back more haha

I will be using PPG DP40 I believe it is.. Its a high quality Epoxy primer/sealer. Its about $500 a gallon.. plus the activator for it... Its not really a chalky flat black but its not quite a semi gloss either... the finish stays the same aswell since it does have a hardner in it.

I just picked up a set of 1.5" lowering blocks to add to the back end too, they are tapered as well so hopefully its not too bad.

I just spent the last 2 nights workin my ass off fixing rust / filling dents/ stripping / sanding / masking and spraying the truck. Looks decent I'm fawkin dead tired and need sleep... I'll pull the paper and get pics outside tomorrow... Still have to spray the tailgate, visor and razor back.. Might redo the hood but i'll decide when i see it dry... I still want a cowl hood anyways so maybe i wont bother redoing it.

Also received my 1.5" lowering blocks for the rear yesterday so I will toss those in before I get the truck out of the garage...

Pics!

Here's a quick picture, never did lower the back some more yet, figured i should probably change the carrier bearing on the driveshaft and cut the bracket down to lift up the driveshaft as well... since it has a nasty vibration as it is haha

I'll be spraying the rest of the pieces for the truck (visor, tailgate and razorback) sometime this weekend and ill get good pics after that... since i must have gotten paint on my black berry it seems

i also got thinking of scallops like some one on here said... did a quick MS paint outline of what i was thinking... anyone with photoshop skills wanna fill it in with white? maybe a little more curves to where they all meet on the fender too... i think it will look pretty neat

Thats all for now! Tailgate, Visor and Razor back should get sprayed tomorrow night and most likely put on on Tuesday, So more pics to follow! Im pretty sure I will do the scallops as well now. Along with eventually doing interior work, buckets, rollbar?, ratchet shifter, new dash, carpet, door panels, gauges, etc.
Wet..Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
Chlsnk

Re: My 1982 GMC "beater"

Your truck really made a good turn around. I wish I would get on mine like this.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
benoit454
Chris

just went back and read it so you are going to put the razorback and visor back on it?

if so good choice man I like em.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454

Last edited by benoit454; 09-27-2010 at 05:47 PM.
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
Wet..Paint

yup! sure am, wasnt sure i liked em at first but now after a couple days im disliking not having them.. gonna spray them properly right now!
Old 09-27-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
Wet..Paint

lol no dirty comments on the 2 fords on the driveway?? or the ford blue paint on the 350?? :P :P
Old 09-28-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
Davidmichael

man I wish I had a beater that looked that good!
81 8 foot bed made into a trailer
86 Suburban going to be made into a trailer
91 Suburban 4x4 = that's my baby
00 S10 Xtreme STD Cab
01 S10 ZR2
Davidmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
jasonroman

x2
wish i knew enuff to ripp into my body work.
good luck with the truck
jasonroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #8
benoit454
Chris

bodywork is easy just gotta jump in and start it's all sanding that's about it. filler is easy, put on too much sand it off, take off too much put more on.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
Old 09-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
1LoC10
Insert Title Here

Nice, I saw the first few pics and almost just backed out and left..lol.
Looks real nice now, doing a good job cleaning it up

1000 pics of 67-72's>> http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z...-72/?start=all <<
1LoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
von guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet..Paint View Post
lol no dirty comments on the 2 fords on the driveway?? or the ford blue paint on the 350?? :P :P
gm put blue paint on 305's
von guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:59 PM   #11
kikkegek

wow, looking good man!
kikkegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #12
nbpro
Account Suspended

Looks good. Just curious. why you didn't remove the bumper, side markers, mirrors, tail light lens ect ..when you painted, or is this just something temporary? I always found it better to remove these, scuff it up. then paint Keeps the paint from chipping in these areas. Like I said, just curious.

Last edited by nbpro; 09-28-2010 at 01:58 PM.
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #13
Wet..Paint

^ you are right, it is the better way of doing it.. but it is just my "beater" truck which basically got a little carried away because i wanted something cool as a beater... so it was just a quick job... if i ever retire it as a beater and decide to really fix it up it will get done right, and what i sprayed on is just a primer so i can paint over it in the future..
Old 09-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #14
benoit454
Chris

what kinda drop does the thing have in inches man I love the stance.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
Old 09-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #15
Chlsnk

Looks like you got alittle paint on your camera lens
Old 09-28-2010, 09:09 PM   #16
Wet..Paint

its 5.5" in front using beltech 2.5" spindles and djm 3" springs. and 5" in the back using a flip kit. like i posted i am gonna throw some 1.5" blocks in the rear too to get it to 6.5" in the back.

the paint is on my blackberry! thats what i used to take the pics i cant get it off and im scared to wreck it using thinner... i should have known better since i always leave my phone in my toolbox at work to prevent that...
Old 09-28-2010, 09:52 PM   #17
Chlsnk

Can't scrape it off with your finger nail? And what line of work are you in I see lots of wood stacked in your shop. Cabinet maker or something eh?>
Old 09-29-2010, 12:17 AM   #18
Wet..Paint

this is my dads garage haha i'm an automotive refinisher / bodyman when i have to be... my house only has a single car garage which hides my forever project 1951 chevrolet 3100 series truck, and my dad hates me using his garage to do body work and paint since its only "suppose to be" wood working...

i refuse to do any of my own work at work since my boss is a crook and likes to bend over his employees any chance he can, even tho we make him money... even if the shop doesnt have a single car in it...
Old 09-29-2010, 12:23 AM   #19
LiveAnimals

Wow big difference, scallops are sweet

I'm a Middle ClASS HOLE

07.5 Dodge 3500 CTD -- Daily
73 C10 Factory BB SWB 2WD
LiveAnimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #20
Wet..Paint

just dropped the rear another 1.5" using blocks, might need to get some longer u-bolts... the nuts arent completely on all the way makes me nervous a bit..

painted and put on the tailgate, visor and razor back a couple of days ago too..

my 10" wide rally rims with a 5" backspacing should be here tomorrow so i'll paint them and test fit and measure for the biggest street slick i can stuff in there, might even mini tub the box if i have to..

pics

Old 10-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #21
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

Thumbs up on the stance! I like it!
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #22
softballnrd27
Always a work in progress

All I can think of is the Lowrider song when I see the truck. Your truck is confused like mine, gmc tailgate and a bowtie on the grill!!
73 SWB 5.3/4l80e
Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=695168
softballnrd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:20 PM   #23
Wet..Paint

haha ya it is "technically" a gmc.. had a gmc grill too but the hood emblem is a bowtie as well lol... i like it tho... makes some people go "huh?"

i got the bowtie for the grill off a new HHR from work, some lady wanted a new one cause the 2 peices were coming apart which made it look like the chrome underneath the yellow tinted top peice look like a pealing mess... i just pulled the 2 apart, painted the tinted yellow peice flat black and 3M 2 sided taped them back together matches the trucks style very well!

oh and i picked up a new bumperette so i will be puttin that on sometime when i feel like it haha

Last edited by Wet..Paint; 10-05-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #24
benoit454
Chris

very nice, much better too, the razorback makes the long bed look shorter and the stance and black primer seems to make the whole thing smaller, like an s10 or something.

Looks good though I like the stance, I ever get me one it's gonna be that low.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,