The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
justinburnett

First truck ever

I've always been a Jeep guy, but I finally broke down and got a truck. Tired of always having electrical/computer related problems so I picked up an old 73 GMC 3/4t 4x4 for $900 off craigslist. Guess what happened: Electrical problems!

I imagine these'll be simpler to track down. When I bought it, all the gauges worked. After about a half hour of driving, all the gauges were pegged except for the Ammeter/voltmeter and the oil pressure which neither one ever move so I assume they're not working. I kinda freaked out when I looked down at my temp which was hovering previously around 180 and saw it pinned on the hot side, but after pulling over and thinking about it I realized it couldn't be THAT hot or I'd smell it and it wouldn't be driving so well. Got out, felt the engine, it was warm but that's it. Checked fluids, drove home.

When I got home I turned off the ignition and the truck wouldn't turn off. It kills power to the fan, but the coil's still getting an input so it keeps right on chugging. Had to pull the coil wire. Then of course the battery died overnight. Went to jump it the next day and the starter was out. Put a new starter in the next day and found out that there was a broken tooth on the flexplate! I put the new one in anyway, and it'll turn it but you can hear it hit the dead spot every time it turns over so... I'll get to it asap. Don't have anywhere to drop a tranny that heavy though so it'll be a job I pay for.

Basically my goals are: get gauges working, replace flexplate, and figure out why it's so hard to start in the morning. Any help with any of these things would be great. Hopefully I can get everything working good before it starts snowing, since I don't have my jeeps anymore and all I have otherwise to drive is a tiny (seems even smaller now) Datsun station wagon that is not so great in the snow.

I fell in love with the damn thing the first time I drove it. I've driven newer trucks, and I didn't care either way for them, but there's something about it... I can't figure out how to actually post a picture in the message but here's a link to it.
http://s981.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=675A0363.jpg

Last edited by augie; 09-27-2010 at 12:41 PM. Reason: picture link
justinburnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: First truck ever

looks like a cool project. i had one similar to that when i first found squarebodies

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
scottsdaleowner75
Account Suspended

for $900 you get someone else's headache sorry to say. thee flexplate is mechanical so its a matter of turning wrenches. if it were mine i would find a painless wiring kit and rewire the whole thing. it is a 37 year old truck so its wiring is in need of attention at a minimum. sounds like it runs good though
Posted via Mobile Device
scottsdaleowner75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
justinburnett

A little update: it turns off if i'm using the right tank so i assume somehow that the power to the left pump is somehow bleeding into the ignition, yes?

Yeah, it runs great once it's warm, just hard to start. He says it's the original engine (54k miles) and carb and such so at least the carb probably needs gone through or replaced. would i be able to change to an electric or automatic choke, or do i need to stay with manual? I knew i was in for some work, so i don't mind, as long as it's running the little things don't bug me.

Last edited by justinburnett; 09-27-2010 at 10:55 AM. Reason: more to say
Old 09-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
augie
Waiting for Paul to Open Safe

Nice truck, fixed the picture link for you.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #6
justinburnett

Scottsdale: Painless wiring kit = wire harness? or is there some easier method? What's the difficulty in installing a new harness or wiring kit or whatever? I'm not ashamed to say I don't know much about wiring and stuff but i'm always happy to learn by doing... I just don't want to get into a situation where it's going to be a month long project with the truck not running just to get some gauges to work, when I can drive it just fine like it is. I mean, I WANT the gauges to work, but... well, I guess I'm just afraid of messing it up more. What does an old truck like this really need to run? Starter, coil wire, fuel pump... I mean without lights and stuff it wouldn't need much would it? Just in case I screw it up and have to start from scratch again.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
30BuckTruck

Welcome to the site. I know exactly what you are talking about with fixing one thing and finding another issue, its all part of the game! Nice truck!
30BuckTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
justinburnett

Thanks. Hope to make it nicer in time.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
scottsdaleowner75
Account Suspended

Yes a complete harness would require you to rewire the whole truck. Not to say that is your problem but at least at that point you have a clean slate to work from. It could be a poor ground or a bad inst cluster who knows, but most people chase the electrical gremlins around forever because of a truck that has spotty wiring.
scottsdaleowner75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
Davidmichael

I would recommend to rewire the whole truck. start off with a good system and you will not have any issues in the future.
81 8 foot bed made into a trailer
86 Suburban going to be made into a trailer
91 Suburban 4x4 = that's my baby
00 S10 Xtreme STD Cab
01 S10 ZR2
Davidmichael is offline   Reply With Quote