The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-27-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
PRattenbury

Found some rust this weekend :-(

Getting into the truck with a blanket covering the ragged-out seat forces me to put my left foot just inboard of where the pinch weld is that joins the inner rocker, outer rocker and floor pan. So I pulled out the seat, the rocker moulding, and then the carpet. I was pretty surprised at how bad the condition of the floor pans was. By the time I got through with a screwdriver and a shop vac I had some serious auxiliary ventilation going on. The bottom of the kick panels were gone. The inner rockers and inboard area of the floor pan, and the back part of the floor pan just below the front of the seat where it rolls up were eaten up pretty bad. Strangely, the cab corners and outer rockers seem fine. Same with the floor support underneath. So I ordered extra large floor pan patch panels from Brothers. I got the kick panel and inner rocker patch panels from Classic. Looks like I have some cutting, grinding, welding, more grinding, seam sealing, and painting to do. Then I can put down some sound deadener mat and the new moulded carpet I bought from Classic. That should quiet things down and spruce em up at the same time. I got a new dash pad, too, so I can use my junkyard finds from Saturday (inlay and cluster bezel). Oh, I picked up a brake pedal pad for good measure. I also have a tach dash with gauges to put in, a stock steering wheel in good condition, and a freshly rebuilt tilt column. When I do the passenger side floor I'll take the old gas tank out, and put the new one in with new sending unit and straps. I'll do all new hoses, make sure the lines are okay, and paint all the inaccessible stuff while the tank is down. I guess I have 3 or 4 weekends' worth of work just to do what I rattled off. And I still have doors and the seat to deal with. But the interior should be pretty mint when I'm finished. No rattly doors, no wind noise, everything fresh looking. It'll be worth it. If I ever sell this thing, someone's gonna get a nice ride.

Last edited by PRattenbury; 09-27-2010 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Failure to proof read before posting
PRattenbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Found some rust this weekend :-(

sounds like a plan... how about some pics

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is online now   Reply With Quote