The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
lroy

Brakes!!! new everything but combo valve

1971 k5 blazer

so here is the story... started tearing everything down and then a buddie called to have me come fish this weekend so i started to slap it all back on but i didnt wanna shortcut so i put new stuff on.

so put on new front rotors, bearings and races, studs, calipers and pads,

then on the rear i put on new cylinders and rear lines from the T

the slapped on a reman master cylinder from hi low.

so primed the MC then hooked up the lines, bleed the rears got new clean fluid, then the fronts and got clean fluid.

BUT... the system is bleeding off some where but i got no leaks.

with the truck off i pump the pedal and it builds pressure on the 2nd pump, nice and firm pedal. then i start the truck and the pedal goes in, so i know the power booster works.

symptoms..... i build up pedal pressure but then it bleeds off. cant even take the thing down the driveway bc i cant stop it. i have to pump like 3 or 4 times with it running to get any pressure. ive bleed the brakes and even pulled through a whole bottle of fluid just on that. im not loosin fluid anywhere, the resivor stays the same. my question is how in the heck does that combo valve work and do they ever fail? i have read that they can be adjusted back to centered, but it that my issue? it not like the rear brakes lock up, i just have no brakes period. and the light switch is on showing a difference in pressure. any ideas? i was hoping to roll down to the coast tomorrow and now here i am scratchin my head.

Last edited by lroy; 09-29-2010 at 09:51 AM.
lroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:25 AM   #2
old man jimmy

Re: Brakes!!! new everything but combo valve

sounds like you may have gotten a dud master cyl. Does brake pump up hard, then slowly go to floor under pressure?
old man jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man jimmy View Post
sounds like you may have gotten a dud master cyl. Does brake pump up hard, then slowly go to floor under pressure?
x2
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
lroy

when i pump, i can get it firm and then with keepin the pressure it will hold. i went ahead and picked up a new combination valve yesterday and installed it, then started to bleed the brakes and wow... had a lot better volume traveling to the rears. tested it out and boom!... blew out the rear center flex line. so went back to hi low last night and ordered a line and ill pick it up and slap it on after work. im kinda thinkin that the valve was stuck to not send much pressure to the rear, so it was taking a long time and many pumps to reach that threshold pressure in the rear before sending pressure to the fonts. if i dont update with the results by tomorrow, it means it worked and im down at the coast fishing and doin a little of this and this

i wished on a star and got my fingers crossed and trying to make the right face to get it all to work ha ha
Old 10-04-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
lroy

Worked like a charm and ran great all weekend. But I ended up snappin my front axle at the u joint on the passenger side when diggin out of the sand. 36 inch irocks and a 14 ft tandem trailer loaded down dragging through the beach sand was not the best choice. But made it there and back home atleast. So back onto the jack stands she goes.
Posted via Mobile Device