The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
AirSpeed

Does a headliner make a big difference acoustically?

My 72 GMC 4X4 is quiet inside as far as wind and mechanical noise but it doesnt have the "dead" sound I want, I am thinking about putting in a headliner to deaden the cab. I have 3/8" thick rubber mat glued to every surface, the entire floor, behind the gas tank and on the gas tank. I have acoustic foam on top of the rubber mat on the gas tank, foil faced acoustic mat under the carpet plus the pad that came with the new carpet and it still isn't as dead inside as I want. I have never been in one with a headliner so I have no idea how big a difference it will make. I like the way it looks painted so I dont want to cover it up unless it's going to make a big difference.
Have any of you noticed a big improvement with a headliner installed? I am also wondering if the chrome trim is necessary to hold the headliner up? Can the headliner be used without the trim?
Thanks for any help! Aaron

Last edited by AirSpeed; 09-30-2010 at 10:29 PM.
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
low'n slow
Too Dumb To Know Better

Re: Does a headliner make a big difference acoustically?

Mine didn't seem to make a difference. You might be better off with some spray in foam between the panels.
low'n slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Re: Does a headliner make a big difference acoustically?

yur going to need the trim and theres a few holes it snaps into but youcould getaway with a few more screws

As far as quieter YES i used my stock headline as a template to cut a piece of paneling then I hit the fabric store and bought some black headliner material like the newer trucks have ( it was cheap) but one thing you need to know is put some liquid nail on the back before you stick it to the roof...the stock ones are glued also but the liquid nail helps alot...I put a piece of board acros it and wedged in a board from the seat up tand let it sit oer night

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote