The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
samdjr74

2 really dumb questions on my 56

Hi All,

So get ready for 2 stupid questions I'm almost embarresed to ask but here goes

1. I'm running a 700R4, I need to run the TC lock up system to my brake switch, question is where is the best place to put the brake switch that also controls the brake lights? I'm running a firewall mount MC with disc's on all 4 corners.

2. For my master cylinders vacuum line, where should I hook it up on the manifold? I don't have a port for it unless I'm missing something

samdjr74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: 2 really dumb questions on my 56

If your going to run power steering I would suggest using a hydraboost setup. Or make a plate that goes under the center carb and tap your vacuum of it.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
samdjr74

Power steering is already done so it's going to be difficult and expensive to change it but I can do a plate, have any ideas on what I might need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
If your going to run power steering I would suggest using a hydraboost setup. Or make a plate that goes under the center carb and tap your vacuum of it.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Something like this
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AID-100-702/?rtype=10
fro the type of carb you have. You may need 3 to raise all of them and keep th elinkage squared up. The adaptor is ported so it should connect to the booster. I would call summit and get more details on the port and where its located and the size.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
samdjr74

Thanks Dave, that helps a lot!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
Something like this
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AID-100-702/?rtype=10
fro the type of carb you have. You may need 3 to raise all of them and keep th elinkage squared up. The adaptor is ported so it should connect to the booster. I would call summit and get more details on the port and where its located and the size.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdjr74 View Post
I'm running a 700R4, I need to run the TC lock up system to my brake switch, question is where is the best place to put the brake switch that also controls the brake lights? I'm running a firewall mount MC with disc's on all 4 corners.
Are you saying you don't have any brake light switch at all right now?

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
mr48chev

If I had a swing pedal I would run the brake light switch and lock up switch on my brake pedal just like the factory setups. The other option would be a Ford style inline switch ( I have one on my 48) that operates on pressure from the brake line. Easy to find example but I am in no way suggesting that you buy this one as they are available in any parts house http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brake...Q5fAccessories
I put that one in because my floorboards were hacked up were the stock one went but I will use a stock AD Pickup brake light switch when I put the truck back together.

If you haven't already bought the booster and master cylinder I would seriously think about running a hydro boost like DWCSR suggested. With that engine setup it would work a lot smoother and once you drive a vehicle with hydroboost you hate to go back to the vacuum booster. The only thing you would have to change with the power steering is the pump if you even had to change it and add a pressure and return line to the hydroboost.

Last edited by mr48chev; 10-01-2010 at 10:13 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:44 AM   #8
samdjr74

Yes but the truck isn't running

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
Are you saying you don't have any brake light switch at all right now?

Ray
Old 10-02-2010, 04:49 AM   #9
samdjr74

MC has been purchased and installed

What do you mean by factory set up, I've never seen a stock assembly as my truck was hacked up before I got it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
If I had a swing pedal I would run the brake light switch and lock up switch on my brake pedal just like the factory setups. The other option would be a Ford style inline switch ( I have one on my 48) that operates on pressure from the brake line. Easy to find example but I am in no way suggesting that you buy this one as they are available in any parts house http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brake...Q5fAccessories
I put that one in because my floorboards were hacked up were the stock one went but I will use a stock AD Pickup brake light switch when I put the truck back together.

If you haven't already bought the booster and master cylinder I would seriously think about running a hydro boost like DWCSR suggested. With that engine setup it would work a lot smoother and once you drive a vehicle with hydroboost you hate to go back to the vacuum booster. The only thing you would have to change with the power steering is the pump if you even had to change it and add a pressure and return line to the hydroboost.