The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
sjarrett71

PICS for "Awesome News" Thread

Went to the salvage yard today. Looked around for quite a while. They only had one 72 Chevy and it was a flatbed dually and pretty gutted already. There was nothing usable that I saw as what was left was pretty rusted too. There were several of the square body Caprice cop cars there and I got a set of seats. The serpentine belt system was broken and I don't have the required bolt holes in my passenger side head anyway. I did grab the alternator off one, can anyone tell me of it's what I need to do the upgrade once the pulley is swapped? I also got a cup holder console out of a 73-87 Suburban that might go pretty good with the buckets once it's cleaned up. I also got a rear view mirror as my truck doesn't have one and a dual shaft Sony stereo. It worked when I tested it at the yard but once I got it home and hooked it up, it was like the main power wouldn't work, only the memory power. So I took it back out and installed the original AM radio since I discovered the original speaker was still there. Guess what......IT WORKED!!! Pretty cool huh? Now I got original AM tunes in my truck!! Anyway, here are the pics, did I mentioned all this was free?

Old 10-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
Kerry P

Re: PICS for "Awesome News" Thread

Sounds like a good day.

Does this yard let you wander around and look for "targets of opportunity"?

Kerry P
Kerry P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
Sammy

Scott, not bad looking seats and console. And the price was good. If those seats are comfortable for you they might be your smoking deal. I'm not crazy about those head rests but if you recover them seats you could loose them rests. Little dress up interior paint and some cleaning on the console that will have been worth the trip right there.
The alternator looks like a 65 amp, hard to tell. From the condition it is in. Make sure you drop it by a O Riellys or Autozone for a free test before you do any mods to your harness to insure it is going to not give you a fit. They can tell you the output too.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:41 AM   #4
sjarrett71

I was gonna get it tested Sammy. There wasn't a store on the way home from the salvage yard but I plan on doing it. It's off a police cruiser and has the serp belt pulley, I know the pics don't really show that though. Do you really think its only a 65 amp being off a police car? And the head rests are coming off! Do you notice how the front of the seats lean? ALL of them did that and I don't know why. It also looks like I might have to mod the mounts a little bit or they will be too short.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:36 AM   #5
Sammy

At least a 65 I figure. Hard to tell from the looks. I wonder why the seats lean? That is strange. And that's expected about raising the seats with just about anything not specificly designed for our trucks. Even the newer P/U Silverado stuff need something because of the floor differences. But a trip for some 4 pcs of 1" square metal like what is used on the ladder racks folks make work great. Another good base that can be found is old bed rails. Good hardned stuff and it even welds great if need be.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
brn agn

Nice score! I remember searching for yards when I used to live in Rolla, MO. It sounds like you had more luck than I did.

1971 Cheyenne Super A Combined Effort

The Service Station-A practical ministry for those in need
brn agn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
sjarrett71

Quote:
Originally Posted by brn agn View Post
Nice score! I remember searching for yards when I used to live in Rolla, MO. It sounds like you had more luck than I did.
Yeah there's not really a lot here. Especially for the older stuff.