The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
cyberpine

Custom steering wheel and moving ignition and wipers. Possible? Crazy?

I'm working on more pressing issues on the truck right now, but was wondering. If I decide to put in one of those smaller racing steerign wheels - is it possilbe to move the ignition and wiper controls to the dash somewhere?
Talking about placing the new steering wheel adapter where the tilt hinge is right now. I know that sounds crazy... possible?

Anyways, right now my wiper controls don't really work and the tilt is very lose. Maybe have an under dash control where that custom switch is (currently connected to nothing) with the ignition, simple wiper on/off and a horn button. I'd have to intercept all the wiring going into the steering column is now and cleanly terminate or pull it back under I guess.

Thanks.

My 1987 C10 Short Bed (click on slideshow to see full album)

Last edited by cyberpine; 10-03-2010 at 08:56 AM.
cyberpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Custom steering wheel and moving ignition and wipers

well you could wire anything to work on the dash but do you think it would be ergonomical and when turning do you think your hands wouuld hit the dash at all.. if you want to do something like that you could start with an older column perhaps from a stick truck have your signals on the stalk and ignition and wire in the older style wipers... im not sure about the cruise tho

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

Re: Custom steering wheel and moving ignition and wipers

You would have to get and shorten a non tilt. The upper bearing is above the tilt knuckle, and the lower shaft isn't splined and is a different shape than the upper.
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote