The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
orange prostreet69

motor mount locations?

hey guys I am having an issue with my clutch cross shaft lining up with the ball on the side of my 350 small block chevy! I was wondering if it was at all possible for the frame motor mounts to be bolted to the two bolts in frame closest to firewall where it appears all the inline 6's are being bolted?? It seems like there is plenty of room between firewall and distributor? Im running a SBC 350 with a Muncie M22 4 speed. Has not been an easy process! Thanks guys!
orange prostreet69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
68chevyfuelie

Re: motor mount locations?

If you're running a SBC in the inline 6 mounts, as far as I know you'll need to make your own engine-side ball mount for the clutch swing arm. The inline 6 mount was about 3-4" deep off the block, whereas the SBC was only 1/4" plate (plus the ball). As far as I can tell, GM used the same swing arm for SOME SBC and inline 6, there were obviously others out there, but you could mix and match some of the stuff. If you need pictures I can dig stuff out and show you the difference.
68chevyfuelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #3
orange prostreet69

Yes! If you could please! I can use any info and pics you have on running a manual trans and/or muncie 4 speed! I really appreciate your help! Man I tell you if it wasnt for this forum i dont know where I would be! haha Thanks again! Chad
Old 10-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
68chevyfuelie

First off, I don't pretend to be an expert, someone may correct me here. First pic is what I have seen on a '71/'72 Blazer and a 69-72 truck for linkage, SBC, with what I call a dogleg upper clutch rod, because it doglegs over. It is used with the frame mount bracket that is straight.

Second pic is stock 292 linkage from a '67 GMC. I couldn't find the upper clutch rod tonight, but it is basically straight. I have seen SBC trucks run the frame mount bracket, in both orientations, with factory rivets, using the frame mount offset bracket, straight-leg swing arm, and the first pictures SBC engine block bracket.

Again, as far as I know you will need the dogleg linkage if you want to run certain types of headers.

Third/fourth pics are what came on my truck, no idea where it came from, other than the frame mount bracket was stock, the other picture shows the frame mount bracket turned around, I can't remember which way mine was pointed. I had a '88 and up block in mine, they do not have the second mounting hole for the factory SBC engine bracket. This was pretty much how mine was hooked up, SBC in the I6 mount holes.

Last pics are of some clutch fork pushrods. You'll need something like these if you're running the stock fork.

Make sense? Trust me, I've been where you've been, it's taken me a long time to figure this out. Hopefully this helps.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
orange prostreet69

Thanks alot! I really appreciate it! Im only 23 years old so this still is pretty new to me! haha Anyways, I do have the upper dogleg clutch rod. In your first pic it appears that there is actually a bracket that bolts to the side of SBC block that I was unaware of? Was that a factory bracket? If so I am missing that. I thought the ball just screwed into the side of the SBC block?? Any other help would be awesome? Thanks Again! Chad
Old 10-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #6
68chevyfuelie

Hopefully someone else will chime in here, this is all I've seen for clutch linkage on 20+ trucks. I'm sure there were other styles available. The plate in the first picture bolts to the block, then you slide on the swing arm. There might have been just a screw in ball stud, I haven't seen one yet. I've got 2 or 3 of those plates, so they must be factory.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:06 AM   #7
orange prostreet69

Yea well if the block bracket is factory thats what I may need then! I appreciate it! Thanks!