The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
nerve

Windshield Washer Pump...always on?

I installed a new washer pump today...not fun...

Thing is now, whenever I turn the wipers on the pump is spraying...

Any Idea why this is? The pump did not work at all before...

Last edited by nerve; 10-04-2010 at 05:32 AM.
nerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Re: Windsheild Washer Pump...always on?

I had no idea how the pump worked when I rewired my blazer. I didn't know that you push the button in to turn on/off the pump and it automatically sets the wipers to the lowest setting (just sharing my ignorance here). I think there may be a wrining issue to the pump if it turns on all the time though. I'd pull the harness to the pump and double check to make sure it's correct.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
Lee H

I've had nothing but troubles with the repop washer pumps. Ended up getting a universal kit from NAPA part number WIP 60300. Mounted it near the washer reservoir and ran the wires from the original pump to the new. Works like a charm.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
camrycurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
I've had nothing but troubles with the repop washer pumps. Ended up getting a universal kit from NAPA part number WIP 60300. Mounted it near the washer reservoir and ran the wires from the original pump to the new. Works like a charm.
Lee, that's a great idea - thanks for sharing. I should have thought of that.

My pump doesn't work and I kept putting off replacing it because it seemed like such a hassle, but now I've got no excuse. Thanks again for the tip!
camrycurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
nyncompute

those pumps (although mine works at the moment) have always seemed problematic to me. Unless you're stuck on originality, the aftermarket or a junkyard find seems to be a more elegant solution.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
Lance-ftw

I have to do this myself... my wipers also apparently only have 1 speed when they should have 2. Luckily I haven't had to drive in bad rain yet O_O
Lance-ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #7
Roadmarks

Check the ground to the wiper motor! A bad ground there causes all sorts of weird problems.

Best wishes,

Les
Roadmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

The wiper motor is wired hot all the time from the key switch through the fuse panel wiper fuse to the wiper motor. It is switched on the ground side through the wiper switch on the dash. The pump should be wired to the hot side on the wiper motor and grounded when it is pushed in. If you have the pump ground wired to either of the terminals on the wiper switch it will run all the time the wiper motor is running.
Here is a schematic of the wiper wiring without the washer included.
http://rmcavoy.freeshell.org/electrical.html

I agree that the aftermarket pump may be the best answer.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.

Last edited by VetteVet; 10-05-2010 at 06:43 PM.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #9
cheyenne shortstep

Did any of you guys run the replacement pump through the stock knob and if so could you show me a wire schematic. I put an in tank pump out of a toyota in my bottle years ago because I too have had nothing but problems with the stock type. I tried to wire it to the stock switch so I could just push the knob while the wipers were on, but had no luck [mind you me and electricity do not see eye to eye]. I put a rocker switch under the dash and have had no problems since, but would really like to be able to run it through the stock switch. Any help is appreciated.
cheyenne shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:32 PM   #10
nerve

umm..so, there are two leads (2-wires grouped together) to the washer pump, and three leads to the wiper motor (1-wire and 2-wires grouped). I disconnected the two leads to the washer pump and the pump still squirts! What I assume is happening is the mechanical wheel/sprocket that comes off the wiper motor is spinning and is manually pumping the washer pump???

I'm pretty stumped on this one...

Last edited by nerve; 10-06-2010 at 10:36 PM.
nerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:07 PM   #11
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

This is a copy/paste from the website I posted. You should have a dark blue a light blue and a black wire coming from the wiper switch to the motor. You should have a yellow wire coming from the fuse panel to the wiper motor and a jumper on the yellow wire at the pump for the washer solenoid. You might just have a stuck solenoid on the washer pump.

Two speed wipers with washers were available as optional equipment on early 60's GM vehicles. They became standard equipment in 1965 or 1966. This system still uses the same basic wiring principles as the single speed wipers. There is still a power wire that feeds the wiper motor whenever the ignition switch is on. Except now there are three wires going to the switch. The switch grounds one wire for high speed operation. Two wires are grounded for low speed operation. The third wire grounds the washer solenoid to activate the washers. Note that many '75 and later vehicles used a small electric washer fluid pump mounted to the reservoir instead of the older wiper motor driven pump.

Here's the wiring diagram for the switch and motor. Top one is the motor and bottom shows the switch. Just follow the blue wires to the switch and the yellow wire back to the fuse panel.
Attached Images

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote