The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
HumbleChevyBuddy

80-73 Front end swap

Ok, so I've been making good progress on my 80-73 front end swap, however I seem to have run into a bit of an issue and I'm hoping ya'll can help me out. Because my 80 had the rectangular set of headlights, there was a headlight mounting bracket that the headlight buckets bolt on to. On to some pics and you can read what I'm having issues with.

Here is what it looked like before making any changes:

Here is what it looked like after I removed the old front end parts:

Here is how it's coming along:

Now, here is what the 80 headlight mounting bracket looks like:

What I'm wondering is, do the 73-79's also use headlight mounting brackets? Or do the headlight buckets mount directly to the core support? If someone could post some close-up pics of how they mount, I would greatly, greatly appreciate it.

I'll take better pics after I'm all done and post up how I did it all and what parts I purchased to complete the swap in my build post. Thanks guys!

Project "FATBOY" build thread

The key to happiness is having dreams. The key to success is making your dreams come true.
HumbleChevyBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Re: 80-73 Front end swap

Just the retainers/adjusters and a spring, no bracket. This is a '74 C10
Attached Images

When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.

Last edited by RandyP; 10-04-2010 at 05:43 PM.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
HumbleChevyBuddy

So, the headlight buckets bolt straight up to the core support with the retainters/adjusters and a spring? That's it?

The key to happiness is having dreams. The key to success is making your dreams come true.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Yes.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
HumbleChevyBuddy

Excellent! Thanks!

Old 10-04-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

I'm not sure if you've considered this, but if you are going to swap to a '73-'74 grille, you will have to fab your own brackets. A few years back I converted my '79 K5 to a '73 front end. As has been stated above, the '79 has no headlamp mounting brackets, just springs, so that was the easier part. The grille brackets were different so I had to make my own. Basically I just used "L" brackets and drilled holes in them.
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteElephant View Post
I'm not sure if you've considered this, but if you are going to swap to a '73-'74 grille, you will have to fab your own brackets. A few years back I converted my '79 K5 to a '73 front end. As has been stated above, the '79 has no headlamp mounting brackets, just springs, so that was the easier part. The grille brackets were different so I had to make my own. Basically I just used "L" brackets and drilled holes in them.
You don't need to use the intermediate mounting points (the long vertical bars that bolt or weld to the core support depending on the year)...you just need the center bar/latch assembly and the outer brackets that bolt to the core support near the headlight buckets. Did my 77 this way, worked like a charm...no fabrication needed.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #8
bigblock73
yeller

Here is a pic of the headlight bucket...held in place my the spring and adjusters only...and you can see the outer mounting bracket mentioned above in the pic as well.

Picture is of my 73, not my converted 77
Attached Images

Last edited by bigblock73; 10-04-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:52 PM   #9
bigblock73
yeller

my 77 with the 73 front end
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2010, 11:19 PM   #10
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblock73 View Post
You don't need to use the intermediate mounting points (the long vertical bars that bolt or weld to the core support depending on the year)...you just need the center bar/latch assembly and the outer brackets that bolt to the core support near the headlight buckets. Did my 77 this way, worked like a charm...no fabrication needed.

Thanks, Jeff. The only parts I used from the '73 were the grille and the headlight trim. I couldn't locate the vertical latch support from a '73, so I made the 4 brackets myself. Parts for 73 trucks here in South Texas are non-existent.
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #11
HumbleChevyBuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteElephant View Post
It sounds like I may have to fab something up...dang. Any pics of this?

Quote:
I have the center bar/latch assembly and the intermediate mounting vertical bars. Unfortunately, I don't have the outer brackets you mention that bolt onto the core support near the headlight buckets... Oh well, sounds like I may hit the yards or Home Depot to fab something up.

Your 73 pic is absolutely perfect! That's EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks so much! Your 77 came out nice, by the way!

Old 10-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #12
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleChevyBuddy View Post
I have the center bar/latch assembly and the intermediate mounting vertical bars. Unfortunately, I don't have the outer brackets you mention that bolt onto the core support near the headlight buckets... Oh well, sounds like I may hit the yards or Home Depot to fab something up.
The intermediate bars are welded to the core support for 73-74 trucks, so unless you removed the spot welds and took them off of a 73/74...you have the wrong intermediate bars.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
HumbleChevyBuddy

Quote:
The intermediate bars are welded to the core support for 73-74 trucks, so unless you removed the spot welds and took them off of a 73/74...you have the wrong intermediate bars.
Below is a pic that shows where the existing grill was mounted to. They screwed on to the core support with plastic mounting nuts inserted into those locations in the pic. Does that make sense? Is that going to work? I noticed there were some "dimples" in the metal next to the headlight bucket location. I've seen other members mention they have to drill holes there and add brackets like in your 73 pic, though. So, I'm not sure how the billet grill I ordered will have to be mounted.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #14
bigblock73
yeller

Your 80 core support will have the outer two vertical bars bolted in, those same vertical bars are welded in on 73-74 trucks (they are different between the years). You do not NEED those vertical bars, your grill can simply bolt to the center support, and outer ears near the headlight buckets. The dimples in the core support are indeed where you want to drill to mount the other brackets (ears) that I have pictured above.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:24 PM   #15
HumbleChevyBuddy

Quote:
Your 80 core support will have the outer two vertical bars bolted in, those same vertical bars are welded in on 73-74 trucks (they are different between the years). You do not NEED those vertical bars, your grill can simply bolt to the center support, and outer ears near the headlight buckets. The dimples in the core support are indeed where you want to drill to mount the other brackets (ears) that I have pictured above.
That makes total sense now. Thanks so much for your clarification and help!

Old 10-05-2010, 10:49 PM   #16
bigblock73
yeller

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-...Q5fAccessories
Old 10-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #17
HumbleChevyBuddy

I finally installed the grill and didn't have to fab anything up. I had ordered a billet grill, so it came with a set of brackets to bolt on to the veritical supports. All I had to do was unbolt the grill brackets the 80 came with and bolt those right up.

I still need to get me a pair of headlight buckets to finish the front end off. Better pictures will be added to my build page after I'm done with the complete swap. Thanks for all the help!