The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
palposity

Need Cab Mount Advice

Hey Guys,

Well I have a bit of a problem. Looking for your advice on my options. From the pic you will see I had a problem getting my rear cab mount bolts out. I got them to turn, but then they got to a point where all they did was turn continuously and would not come out. I ended up grinding off the heads of the bolts to get the cab off. I still need to knock off a bit around the edge of the bolts to get the rubber mounts off, but I am a bit flustered as to what the best route to take for removing the bolts is? I don't want to cut the cab up if I don't have too. I am currently just thinking of getting the rubber mounts off then dropping the cab into place with the new mounts and putting nuts on the existing bolts to replace the bolt heads I ground off.

I'm open to other ideas if any of you have run into this issue before...

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Project #1 "Pops"--1980 Chevrolet Scottsdale C10 3rd Generation in the same original owner family. GOAL: Restore to "almost" original.
View Project Pops HERE

Project #2 "Cletus"--1986 Chevy K20 4.10 Gear Ratio GOAL: Restore into a heavy duty work/plow rig
View Project Cletus HERE - SOLD

DD--2008 Duramax CCSB
palposity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
Stitch
Account Suspended

Re: Need Cab Mount Advice

Besides what you said if you can even do that. They might be too short. But besides that youre gonna have to cut holes in the cab to get to the nuts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
palposity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
Besides what you said if you can even do that. They might be too short. But besides that youre gonna have to cut holes in the cab to get to the nuts.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah I'm hoping I got them backed out enough before the nuts broke lose so I will have enough thread to get the nuts on. If not, I was afraid the other answer was what you said. What a (horse-tooth ) problem this is!
Project #1 "Pops"--1980 Chevrolet Scottsdale C10 3rd Generation in the same original owner family. GOAL: Restore to "almost" original.
View Project Pops HERE

Project #2 "Cletus"--1986 Chevy K20 4.10 Gear Ratio GOAL: Restore into a heavy duty work/plow rig

DD--2008 Duramax CCSB
Old 10-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

You can use a hole saw from inside the cab and put a plug(grommet) in it once you're done. The carpet will cover the plug and noone will ever know you were there!

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
Stitch
Account Suspended

Horse-tooth....LOLOLOLOL
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
palposity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne View Post
You can use a hole saw from inside the cab and put a plug(grommet) in it once you're done. The carpet will cover the plug and noone will ever know you were there!
Good idea - I just gotta figure out how to punch the hole in just the right place the first time!
View Project Pops HERE

DD--2008 Duramax CCSB
Old 10-05-2010, 01:25 AM   #7
Nukes16

Funny you should mention this, I just did the exact same thing about 2 hours ago. One back bolt came out nice, the other spun. I cut a square hole in the floor of the cab above the bolt and could see the problem with the spinning nut (it's a rectangular nut which kind of just sits there sandwiched between the two support rails/crossmember). I put a thick washer, standing upright between the nut and the support rails and then tried turning it again. There was no play in the nut this time and it came out. The front cab mount however was more of a challenge. I had to grind off the passenger bolt head too, and now I'm not sure what to do tomorrow. When I lift the cab, will I be able to access the entire shaft of the bolt to grind it off flush with the cab and then try to drill it, or will the cab supports be in the way? Do I have to cut a hole in the floor in the front? Anyone have some ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Nukes16; 10-05-2010 at 01:26 AM.
Nukes16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:40 AM   #8
79'84'chevy

maybe when you get it off or what ever would be easier you could get a drill bit the same size as the bolt that is close to the thread of the bolt without cutting the the actual threads out of the nut. then take a tap and clean out the threads and get a new bolt. just spitballing. if you know what i mean.
79'84'chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:51 AM   #9
Nukes16

I'm just not sure if I will have access to the bolt where it meets the nut. Will I be able to grind the bolt off flush with the bottom of the cab and only have a little drilling to do? Or will there be 2 inches of bolt that is up in the cab support that I don't have any access to?
Nukes16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:15 AM   #10
79'84'chevy

what i was thinking was you could get the old bolt from the other side if it came out and get the size of drill bit. drill it as straight as you can and it should just bring all the actual bolt out while your drilling, just leaving the thread metals in the nut. then take a pick and clean the threads out and then get a tap and clean it up a little more. i had an addjustment bolt on my quad brake off in the swingarm. thats what the machinist here did to get it out. got a new stud and it bolted right in. just make sure you dont hit the thread in the nut.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:23 AM   #11
79'84'chevy

or if you didnt take the head off you might be able to work it out. tightn loosen and repeat. or try to take a big screw driver and while your trying to take the bolt out with the socket try to pry it down while your turning the nut. kinda force it out. know what i mean
Old 10-05-2010, 07:31 AM   #12
xrcr

I used the hole saw on the 84 cab I have. I had another cab to measure off of where I had dinged the floor at the hole locations with a long punch. Plugged the hole with a grommet as suggested. Hope that made sense.
xrcr is offline   Reply With Quote