The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
67gmcstepside

Time for an exhaust system - but...

Got the charge card out and was ready to order my LMC dual exhaust until it read the fine print

"Exhaust systems do not fit models with Rockwell transfer case or 4wd models with angled exhaust manifold outlets"

Good on the manifolds but I am running a T221 rockwell. What have the other rockwell guys done for a mail order exhaust. I have nothing but the manifolds and don't want to pay to have it towed to the exhaust shop.

Any help would be apprecated.
Don
67gmcstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:15 AM   #2
dznucks

Re: Time for an exhaust system - but...

You can drive it with only the manifolds. I took mine to the exhaust shop with only headers.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
67gmcstepside

Seems like that might be my only option.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #4
colin_havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznucks View Post
You can drive it with only the manifolds. I took mine to the exhaust shop with only headers.
Same here. I drove mine with open headers to the exhaust shop with open headers and a couple of mufflers sitting in the floorboards. $80 bucks and about an hour and a half later, I was on my way home. Any shop should be able to custom bend you some pipes, and depending on what mufflers you decide to go with it can be done fairly cheap. I ran borla mufflers on mine (or as a friend of mine calls them, glorified glasspacks lol) because thats what was on it before, and I didnt want to buy new mufflers. Besides, they are stainless, and I like the sound, so why not? But if I was on a budget and had to buy new ones, I would probably go with the Thrush welded mufflers. But then again, I like my truck to be a little loud. They are cheaper than flowmasters, but sound basically the same.

I would just do some looking and decide on a sound you like, and go with those brand mufflers (the actual layout and design of the rest of the exhaust will make it sound differnt too, so keep that in mind) and just have a shop run you a custom exhaust. Less work for you, and possibly cheaper too.
colin_havens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #5
big_al_71

I drove my truck for ten miles to the muffler shop on open headers no problem,,,it did sound loud almost like a pro stock.....

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I've driven several to the muffler shop sans exhuast.A couple that needed it to pass inspection.Usually get a better system that way and they do all the work on a lift where they can get to it easy.The last one was duals all the way from the manifolds to the back bumper.Custom bent,custom hangers and I didn't even get any dirt in my eyes.They even ran the pipes under the frame in the wheel wells and put the exhuast along the outside of the frame rails.Sure made it easier to swap trannys and such.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
67gmcstepside

I might try to find some down pipes off a parted truck and slap muffers on them just to make it to the shop. In my town I wouldn't make it a mile with out issue.