The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
gregg72340

TH 350 problem...Need some advice guys

1985 c-10 305/350 combo

I am trying to pull this truck outta the woods because it was free, and it has a trans issue. Previous owner (10 years ago) said that it had a head gasket issue. Well low and behold it really doesn't. It holds all the coolant and doesn't smoke(after running for 2 1/2 hours) Bigger problem it has is this with the trans. It basically is puking trans fluid out as fast as it is going in. what fluid that was still in the trans did n not smell burned and is not really discolored other than normal color. I cant see anywhere externally (lines, pan, modulator, rear seal). am I safe to assume that the only other place that it might be leaking out of is the front seal? When you fire the truck up and put it in gear it tries to move itself forward(Can feel it try to move itself slightly) but loses the fluid almost as fast as you're putting it in. Does anyone think this may be worth trying to put a front seal into the trans to see if it might work or am I barking up the wrong tree here and should just replace it. since it feels like it is trying to move before it loses all the fluid I was just hoping since the seal may be shot that it just cant build enough pressure to move. Just curious everyones thoughts.

Thanks in advance
Gregg
Old 10-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
dccarpenter

Re: TH 350 problem...Need some advice guys

If you can work in the woods or easily tow it to a level area I'd try replacing the seals, since it's a 2wd truck you very well may be able to do so without removing any crossmembers or doing anything other than dropping the oil pan. Your neck will hurt the next day but it's do-able and may salvage the transmission. Follow it up with some of that Lucas transmission stop leak.

I had a turbo 400 dump all it's fluid and it ended up being loose bolts where it mated to the engine and a new seal on the bottom of the pan. Once I did that the transmission ran great...truck ended up blowing a rod bearing shortly after but the transmission worked!
dccarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
benoit454
Chris

Re: TH 350 problem...Need some advice guys

If it has sat for a long time the brakes could very well be stuck or rusted, like trying to drive with the brakes on, free them up and make sure they are free first before trying to move it.

I'd try to gety under and clean it all off, see where it's coming from and have a catch pan, no use in keep buying new fluid, catch the old and dump it back in. I know that's not the best thing but if the trans is already junk. I got a junkyard trans that had sat for a long time and it wouldn't move at first, I had to sit in gear running for a while and give it gas once in awhile and get it to catch, I ended up putting it on stands and running it. Trying to do a front seal sucks, if you get luck enough to move it back enough to remove the Tc and then the seal that's one thing down, but you'll need something under the front of it so it won't fall on you. Not to mention you'll more then likely have everything off it anyways, might as well pull it out, do it and put it back in the truck, a seal is cheap, but time to do it is pretty involed, at least a day or so. Maybe you can rent a trans jack or buy the kit that fits a floor jack for $50 and jack the truck up first in front and then lay down a thick piece of plywood or metal to put your jack on under the trans.

Definately get under there first and see what's going on, or clean it all off if you have to with brake klen or something, then get it to leak and see where it's from.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote