The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

heads up on Jegs house brand HEI

Just passing along some experience. It's official. the Jegs house brand distributor # 40006 is a ... well let's just say may be a decent distributor, but it's stuffed with somewhat inferior products. I bought one for my 94 4x4 when I built the TBI 383 for it. The original distributor had 175k so I opted for a jeggs house brand new distributor. About 6 months after the build the truck just DIES one day sitting in line to get in the gate at Firebird (use this as my tow vehicle) Had to get truck and trailer towed in the gate by my buddy's F-150 HOW embarrassing. Figured it was a fluke but it was the HEI module in the Jeggs 4006 distributor. Sometimes electronics take a dump in this 120° heat so I wasn't too upset. it happens.

So much I figured it was a fluke that I bought the same distributor when I built my El Camino with the Holley Commander EFI (requires the small body HEI computer controlled distributor like those for 87-96. Long story short,,, less then 1000 street miled on the Camino and I get stranded. Turned a corner and it sputtered once and went silent. Put it on a trailer and it's sat for a few months while work was so stinking busy. Ordered a new MSD coil and a ACDelco module, cap rotor, and coil wire. Replacing ONE item at a time,,, YUP the stinking 'made in china' module in the POS Jeggs distributor. I'm sure this is just the reboxed Proform just like Slummit sells so all I can say is BUYER BEWARE. As long as you plan on replacing the module with a real ACdelco module, it appears to be as well built as the rest of the lower priced aftermarket distributors (the days of real ball bearings and rebuild-able like the Mallory Comp distributors are history)

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/40006/10002/-1

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Re: heads up on Jegs house brand HEI

i've been wondering about these low budget HEIs for a while.

Thanks for answering my question.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote